MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

baffling and terrible, Billy Beane is a great GM but the last few years he has made a lot of WTF moves, I like getting Holiday and he didnt have to give up much besides Street but they have some solid options to close in their bullpen (Zeigler, Devine, etc etc)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's also made some outstanding moves over the past few years. That's what's so weird. He's still a great GM, he just seems unsure of his organization lately.

The Mulder trade still stands as one of the best of the last decade.

The AL West is not a very good division, the A's could easily get 2nd in that division which puts them in the wild card race, also if they are out of the race they will be able to unload Holiday this summer before the trade deadline and get a lot for him, if not and they lose him via free agency they will get a first round pick for him and Billy Beane drafts very well, the A's didnt give up anyone who you can look at and say they are in all star for sure, Gonzalez and Smith were very average last year and Street wasnt needed with Devine and Zeigler on the roster

Not really sure if this is the Bucs' path out of the baseball shitter:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...=rss_topstories

Not really sure if this is the Bucs' path out of the baseball shitter:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...=rss_topstories

Ok, if these guys had actually won the contest and were able to throw over 85mph, I would think wow, wonder how this will play out. But they didn't even win the grand prize on the reality show...

Guess this is the HOF ballot this year. I'll bold my picks:

Harold Baines

Jay Bell

Bert Blyleven

David Cone

Andre Dawson

Ron Gant

Mark Grace

Rickey Henderson

Tommy John

Don Mattingly

Mark McGwire

Jack Morris

Dale Murphy

Jesse Orosco

Dave Parker

Dan Plesac

Tim Raines

Jim Rice

Lee Smith

Alan Trammell

Greg Vaughn

Mo Vaughn

Matt Williams

He does have Boras in his corner...

I wonder if this stat (which I saw on the Boston Globe website) is in Boras' book on Varitek:

14: According to The Hardball Times Baseball Annual, percentage of the time this season that Jason Varitek hit a line drive, the lowest percentage among all qualifying players.

I wonder if this stat (which I saw on the Boston Globe website) is in Boras' book on Varitek:

14: According to The Hardball Times Baseball Annual, percentage of the time this season that Jason Varitek hit a line drive, the lowest percentage among all qualifying players.

If he could, he would probably turn that on its head and say each inning Tek hit a line drive, the ERA of his pitcher for the following half inning averaged above 5.

Javy has more than a 3:1 K:BB for his career, is always healthy, has 4 pitches, etc. Why he's never had more success is a mystery. I'm inclined to think he has some mental block regarding the 6th inning. I can't find them, but I believe he has some ridiculous splits.

It looks like the lower level prospects might be decent. Who knows.

I've seen various names on the Braves side. The Braves are saying Jo-Jo Reyes is definitely not part of the trade even though his name has been thrown around. It looks like Tyler Flowers and Brent Lillibridge will definitely be in the package. Flowers is supposed to be a good prospect (power hitter that draws a lot of walks but some questions about his consistency as a catcher) and apparently the Sox GM was drooling over him. I've seen Lillibridge play quite a bit on TV and in person. He's kind of meh. Talked a lot about but hasn't produced. Other names I've heard is Jon Gilmore who has done amazingly good in the Appalachian League but horrible in Class A. Santos Rodriguez is a lefty pitcher and supposed to be in the deal. Stats look like he could be a good reliever someday but he's only played in the Rookie Gulf Coast Leage.

People have been excited about Flowers, so as a Braves that kind of sucks. I don't have have strong feelings about this trade at this point. It'll depend on whether Wren can get a top pitching prospect this winter because Vazquez is definitely not one.

Red Sox give Pedroia a 6 year, 40.5 million dollar deal.

He had one year left at the minimum, so it's basically a 5 year, 40.1 million dollar deal. Not bad, but they probably didn't save themselves a ton of money with it.

Red Sox give Pedroia a 6 year, 40.5 million dollar deal.

He had one year left at the minimum, so it's basically a 5 year, 40.1 million dollar deal. Not bad, but they probably didn't save themselves a ton of money with it.

The Sox stand to save a substantial amount of dough if Pedroia continues to play at the level he has and actually lasts until his arbitration / FA years and hadn't been re-signed earlier. On the flip side, if he gets injured often/can't play long, BOS loses. It's a win-win for both sides, really. Pedroia is locked up with guaranteed money and the Sox have him at a good price for a decent amount of time should he maintain....

Dude won the MVP. A fat contract is just desserts. Not every team has to think like the Marlins, y'know.