MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

should be 'Sox'.

FYI

I was wondering about that but doesnt Sox mean multiple? Like Harold Baines, Warren Newson, and Ron Karkovice played for the White Sox.......and doesnt Sock mean one guy? Like Dan Pasqua was a White Sock....the phrase "I'm a Chicago White Sox" just sounds funny

I would say this is the definition of splitting hairs but to each their own

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those red tops Boston had were not that great looking, but better than those hideous Pirates ones. Not really a fan of solid red for baseball uniforms.

I don't like the thought of screwing with the "B."

Sox is plural, like Yankees is plural. You don't call A Rod a Yankees. You call him a dick.

Red Sox is used to refer to both the team and an individual player. It doesn't sound right but it is, regardless of A Rod's phallic resemblance.

Link?

I'm just going on how I've seen the Globe and the Herald use the word....

It's easier just to say "He played for the Red Sox" rather than "He was a Red Sox (-ck)." Neither sounds right to me and it's always bugged me.

I was wondering about that but doesnt Sox mean multiple? Like Harold Baines, Warren Newson, and Ron Karkovice played for the White Sox.......and doesnt Sock mean one guy? Like Dan Pasqua was a White Sock....the phrase "I'm a Chicago White Sox" just sounds funny

I would say this is the definition of splitting hairs but to each their own

Not splitting hairs when one is wrong and one is correct.

No.

Yes.

Sox is plural, like Yankees is plural. You don't call A Rod a Yankees. You call him a dick.

No.

Red Sox is used to refer to both the team and an individual player. It doesn't sound right but it is, regardless of A Rod's phallic resemblance.

Yes.

Oh, it's like moose or salmon.

I still think it sounds wrong.

It does sound wrong; doesn't mean it is.

In print it's easy to get a away with - but on talk radio I hear 'Red Sock' all the time.

Well, they're idiots. What can I say?

In print it's easy to get a away with - but on talk radio I hear 'Red Sock' all the time.

I'd say it's harder to get away with in print. On air you can slur the ending.

Anyway, don't think I won't cut you....

If it was White Socks and Red Socks, then "Sock" would be acceptable.

Your logic makes no sense. So because Ludacris doesn't spell his name Ludicrous I can't say/write "Ludacris' new song is crazy"? I'd have to say/write "Ludacris new song is crazy"?

Your logic makes no sense. So because Ludacris doesn't spell his name Ludicrous I can't say/write "Ludacris' new song is crazy"? I'd have to say/write "Ludacris new song is crazy"?

It's not logic. It's right and wrong.

As for your Ludacris question, I don't care what you call him.

There's no parallel. The parallel would be if he cloned himself. Then you would say there are two Ludacrises, not two Ludicrouses. Or something like that.