MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

Yes, it is possible to succeed as a small market team. However, if you want to be a perennial contender (Angels, Red Sox, Yankees are probably the best examples right now, but also Cardinals a few years ago and the Braves before that), then you probably need to spend money. Spending money does not guarantee success and not spending much does not guarantee failure. Basically, anything a small market team can do personnel wise (draft and scout well), a big market team can do too. There are some things (signing premium free agents, extending players with big contracts, taking on big contracts via trade) that big market teams can do and small market teams can't or won't. Sometimes the big market teams do not parlay these advantages into on the field success.

At the same time, there are some small market teams that seem to underspend and cheat the fans.

Perfect example of both would be the Florida Marlins.

2 rings already, but refuse to spend money to bring in free agents. And don't get me started on that stadium situation.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect example of both would be the Florida Marlins.

2 rings already, but refuse to spend money to bring in free agents. And don't get me started on that stadium situation.

We've brought in free agents before, we've shown a willingness to spend a little to make a run. BUt until the new stadium is done (Ground breaking in february? Fingers crossed), they don't have the revenue streem to throw money.

Edwin Jackson to Detroit for Matt Joyce.

Apparently Dumbrowski doesn't think of Joyce as being as good a prospect as I'd hoped, and with the acquisition of Gerald Laird, Inge is back at third, so Carlos Guillen heads out to left field, so if he's nothing special I guess there's no real reason to hold on to him.

Guest Hollinger.
Somewhat true....the Marlins have done a good job contending with no money, just gut your team every few years and get the farm for guys and start over, they are doing the best a franchise like that can, two world series rings is ok

so did he come through every time with guys on base? I dont see that stat anywhere, I think someone with more free time should utilize a google search and find out that out, what his ARod's avg with RISP in the post season? Im sure its awesome :thumbup

Eh, that's a bad argument to be making. Hitting with RISP isn't a skill. The player could hit .600, but if the runners weren't on when he was getting the hits, he won't have many RBI. Runners being on base is completely independent of a hitters performance, which is why RBI is a misleading stat, regardless of what the writers want to argue. Any argument for "clutch" hitting doesn't hold much weight, because no one has been able to put together a study that shows any evidence that a player can be clutch, beyond streaks of luck.

Eh, that's a bad argument to be making. Hitting with RISP isn't a skill. The player could hit .600, but if the runners weren't on when he was getting the hits, he won't have many RBI. Runners being on base is completely independent of a hitters performance, which is why RBI is a misleading stat, regardless of what the writers want to argue. Any argument for "clutch" hitting doesn't hold much weight, because no one has been able to put together a study that shows any evidence that a player can be clutch, beyond streaks of luck.

I don't think these are correct statements. Runners on base affect every aspect of the hitter's approach.

Guest Hollinger.

I've played plenty of baseball, which is completely irrelevant to the argument. If there's some magic skill that makes players better when there are runners on base, why would they not also use these skills when the bases are empty? Does it not manifest itself in certain situations? The only difference is pitch selection, the choice to try for a sac fly, or an effort to go the opposite way for a right handed hitter. Are you arguing that a bad hitter can be "clutch" because he waits for a pitch he is capable of popping up and driving in a runner on third?

BTW, pitch selection matters depending on who's on base and who's batting. C'mon, if there's no one on base or one-two guys on base the pressure isn't higher?.

A bad hitter will almost always be a bad hitter. He may get lucky once in a blue moon, but he still blows.