• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You come across as a total cock caliber66, are most of your 13914 posts like these?

Internet fora are good, they keep people like you off the streets.

Don't get a life.

I've met the guy in real life, and he's no better there. Just ignore him like the rest of us do.

You come across as a total cock caliber66, are most of your 13914 posts like these?

Hmmm. Let's review:

Jesus, that was lame. Can you not do better than that??
Obviously not, moron.

Internet fora are good, they keep people like you off the streets.

Don't get a life.

Who's coming across as a total cock, again?

Yeah, that makes me crazy, too. Something like "Ireland are playing Spain this weekend" just doesn't sound right to me.

From someone who says this sort of thing for a living I will just say that 'Ireland IS playing Spain this weekend' sounds very wrong.

It's a collective noun, so 'Ireland ARE playing' it shall remain.

Likewise the (collective) Wilco would never read ' Wilco IS playing live this weekend'.

On the other hand 'Wilco ARE playing live this weekend' sounds just fine. Wilco, you see, is a 'they' not an 'it'.

Happy?

> So why is that people who speak English with funny accents (as in Aussies and Brits) insist on treating singular nouns referring to multiple people

i speak the queen's english!

maybe this is better:

Yo! Brothers and Sistas!.. when will them Wilco dudes bring out a new record? :thumbup

Wilco has six members but is one group. A group can have as many people in it as you'd like, but it's still just one group. Therefore, it's singular. I've got a Ph.D. in English. I know these things.

It's all fun and games until people start withholding news about the new album because of the sloppy grammar around here :nono

Wilco has six members but is one group. A group can have as many people in it as you'd like, but it's still just one group. Therefore, it's singular. I've got a Ph.D. in English. I know these things.

It's all fun and games until people start withholding news about the new album because of the sloppy grammar around here :nono

Doc, it might be a singular group but they are a collective so they will remain 'they' just as sports teams will remain 'they'.

It's just the way it are over here, and look, we invented the language.

As Queen once sang : 'We is the champions, my friend'!

Doc, it might be a singular group but they are a collective so they will remain 'they' just as sports teams will remain 'they'.

It's just the way it are over here, and look, we invented the language.

As Queen once sang : 'We is the champions, my friend'!

So which part of that whole "Declaration of Independence" thing didn't you understand? You know, life, liberty, pursuit of crappy grammar? All that rot?

The US of A, baby. That is where Wilco is recording the new record. And I mean it.