Artists that you came to late in the game

I only just started listening to Harry Nilsson about a year ago.

Maybe it was the 70's thing that kept me away and that whole connotation. I don't really know. But the more that I heard about Nilsson, the more that I wanted I wanted to hear him, until I finally gave in and bought Nilsson Schmilsson.

Oh lord, what an album! If you're a fan, I don't have to tell you, but I felt like I was listening to a kindred musical spirit (only with about 2.5 octaves greater vocal range than I have). Then I got Son Of Schmilsson and realized that the first purchase was no fluke.

I have this box set on its way now:

41CJ6A6Q14L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

(Pandemonium Shadow Show/Aerial Ballet/Aerial Pandemonium Ballet )

And I could not be more excited. Except that I have even more to explore from him. So glad that I do!

What about you?

Anyone that you came to inexplicably late in the game?

Tell me why and how.

Every band I like really. I don't listen to much new music (not sure why), so pretty much everything I listen to is older, and since I'm pretty young, I would qualify as having come to them late in the game.

Harry Nilsson is someone I've always wanted to hear and just never made the point to buy anything. Perhaps he'll go on my Christmas wish list.

I was late to Big Star and Chris Bell and was amazed how great they were. Big Star's first 2 records are great and easy to like. But their third, "Sister Lovers", really got me. It's one of my favorite all-time records. Same goes for Chirs Bell's "I Am the Cosmos".....holy smokes is that great.

i wouldn't listen to Modest Mouse because i thought their name was pretty dumb. still do. but i donated to KEXP and they sent me a funny shirt that had a "modest" mouse cartoon on it and thought that i should give them a shot and at least listen to something... and now i can't get enough of their music...

Elliott Smith. back in like '03, I was going through my first Dylan obsession and was actually freaking out over all of Dylan's early, acoustic songs. I know I woulda loved Smith back then but never really heard/ paid attention to him until '07.

I've only started to appreciate Elvis Costello quite recently. This Year's Model has been getting a lot of play- love the bass work of Bruce Thomas on that disc. I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea is simply top-shelf badass pop/funk/ska somethin' or other.

I think Costello's lyrical approach and meticulous melodies work better as the listener gets older...

Wilco actually...

I loved "Outtasite" when I first heard it, was in '95 or '96? so grade 11 or 12. Bought the cd, but was disappointed & gave it to a boyfriend at the time.

I don't know why I didn't like BT, I listen to Misunderstood or Sunken Treasure now & wonder how come 17 yr old me didn't like it?

Didn't start listening to Wilco again until a few years ago.

Funny, BT is one of my favorites now.

The Grateful Dead.

Rejected them forever for the wrong reason, because of the culture surrounding the music.

Never dreamed that a band whose music I believed to be as pointless as the lives of the lifers who followed them around in VW vans was actually some of the best American music ever created.

I still can't stand the endless Dark Stars and some of the Weir tracks and most of Donna's yowling and much of the second-set jamming.

But the songs and the melodies and the garcia/hunter lyrics are just mesmerizing.

I just didn't realize it until I was about 40.

The Grateful Dead.

Rejected them forever for the wrong reason, because of the culture surrounding the music.

Never dreamed that a band whose music I believed to be as pointless as the lives of the lifers who followed them around in VW vans was actually some of the best American music ever created.

I still can't stand the endless Dark Stars and some of the Weir tracks and most of Donna's yowling and much of the second-set jamming.

But the songs and the melodies and the garcia/hunter lyrics are just mesmerizing.

I just didn't realize it until I was about 40.

:cheers Better late than never.

I guess I wish I would have got into the outlaw country much earlier than I did (late 20s). I had a stupid bias toward ANY country music, thinking it was just redneck music. I would have to say that Jerry Garcia (especially his work with NRPS) cured me of that - and then getting into Cash, Jennings, Nelson, Haggard, etc. was a revelation.

Wilco. I saw them in 1999 live, thought they sucked, and refused to even go anywhere near them until 2002, when everyone whose music taste I admired was into them, so I gave them another try. The rest is history :love

I still have to listen to my first Grateful Dead song :ninja

Frank Sinatra.

i thought he was an old fart and then a friend introduced me to his music and i fell in love with it

Mende...if you like Frank you should come visit Emily and I! Every morning when I head off to work I drive past Frank's birthplace. I live 6 blocks from it! We also have Frank Sinatra park on the waterfront :pirate

I guess I wish I would have got into the outlaw country much earlier than I did (late 20s). I had a stupid bias toward ANY country music, thinking it was just redneck music. I would have to say that Jerry Garcia (especially his work with NRPS) cured me of that - and then getting into Cash, Jennings, Nelson, Haggard, etc. was a revelation.

:thumbup

biggest one for me would be the clash/strummer. not sure how i never got into them in HS/College. i just never actually listened to them, not like i heard them & disliked it. it wasn't until 7 years ago maybe, i heard london calling for the first time.

Back when I was working retail at Camelot Music, I remember a girl that I thought was pretty hip suggesting that I listen to this album called "Bone Machine." She said she'd just been to a concert by this guy called Tom Waits and that he had this really gravelly voice that sounded like he smoked and drank too much. Maybe b/c I didn't partake in either of those pastimes (at the time--I was just 17 or so) the description didn't do anything for me, and I never sought out Tom Waits' music.

It wasn't until I'd hit a low patch in 1997 that I picked him up after hearing him on a film soundtrack. I must have purchased his back catalog in the span of 2 weeks. I was hooked from the start.

Kevin

Elliott Smith. back in like '03, I was going through my first Dylan obsession and was actually freaking out over all of Dylan's early, acoustic songs. I know I woulda loved Smith back then but never really heard/ paid attention to him until '07.

I got in to Elliott in '03. A lot of my peeps in college talked about him, but I paid no mind to them. Shortly after his death, I found a few of his albums used (XO, Either/or, and Figure 8). I picked them up and was floored at how good they were.

umm... Uncle Tupelo & Wilco? Hell, all of "alt-country" for that matter. I couldn't shake the image of some Garth-Brooks-meets-Billy-Idol-wannabe, so I entirely avoided the genre like the plague.

Only after continuously hearing about Tweedy, Wilco & UT on the Westerberg board did I decide to finally check them out. Got Being There and the UT Anthology and haven't been the same since. Good stuff. :thumbup

Another one for me... The Minutemen. Granted, I was a little young during their peak, but I really should have tried them out much earlier than I finally did. Double Nickels On The Dime is quite possibly the most delightful, creative, exhilirating & different album I own. Still listen to it probably more frequently than anything else I have.