Guest Francis X. Hummel

Taken - I enjoyed it, but I'm pretty disappointed with the "Move over Jason Bourne" tag from the trailer. No comparison - the Bourne movies are far superior.

Doubt - Way better than I expected. Actually, completely different than I expected. I thought it was about a court trial of a priest accused of molesting an alter boy. Well acted and the dialogue was sharp as hell.

Righteous Kill - Exactly what I expected - almost complete trash. Could have been much better if they didn't go for the suspense/mystery and just left it a drama. Seeing that it's written by the same dude that wrote Inside Man, I can see that he clearly likes twist-endings. Only this time, he did a terrible job, whereas Inside Man was pretty cool.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - Yeah, I watched it. And yeah, I probably laughed only twice and cringed the rest of the time. But fuck it, I wanted to see how bad it was.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(At the very least, it's light years better than Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck's last feature, Half Nelson, which was wonderfully acted but also a total crock.)

Yes. What a waste of the two leads' performances, that.

I'd been dismissing Sugar based on Half Nelson, actually. Good to hear your review.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this movie and watch it every time it's on, which is quite a lot these days.

Just watched this again:

holes.jpg

A highly under-discussed movie with a killer cast. Sigourney Weaver, Jon Voight, Dule Hill, Patricia Arquette.....and even Shia LeBouf is good.

That is actually a really good movie, I was so pleasantly surprised the first time I watched it.

sugar1.jpg

Is Sugar, which charts a season in the life of single-A Dominican pitcher Sugar Santos, the best baseball movie ever made? If you prefer your baseball movies to be realistic, honest, unsentimental, and overflowing with details about life in the system, it might be. (At the very least, it's light years better than Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck's last feature, Half Nelson, which was wonderfully acted but also a total crock.)

My wife's family is from the Quad Cities, where much of this was filmed. They did some filming very close to my mother-in-law's house, and apparently at her church too. Some of her friends were extras. Can't wait to see it, mostly for the movie itself, not those connections.

Oh, by the way, I'm finally watching Ashes of American Flags now.

The_International_poster.jpg

The International is a pretty good actioner padded with just enough cynical social criticism to keep it interesting.

I also caught up with Valkyrie and Defiance, two unconventional WWII stories told in very conventional ways. Still, both are made with some degree of old-fashioned craft, and I enjoyed them for what they were.

Just streamed "Tom Dowd and the language of music" on Netflix. What a great movie. The guy worked with so many legends. There is a great scene of him breaking down "Layla" at the mixing board showing the different parts. I would highly recommend this movie.

Dude - I once watched Sick and the GG Allin doc as a double feature at a friend-of-a-friend's house, very late night, after a punk wedding party. One of the fuckedest up nights ever.

I remember (as a teenager) a bunch of us getting stoned and watching "Last house on the left" thinking we were in for a cool horror movie. Talk about a bummer of a night. About as fun as watching "Faces of death" stoned. At that age the GG Allin might have scarred me for life. I'm thinking I may pass on Sick.

Anyone else a tennis fan? This match between Roddick and Federer is ridiculous.