• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

410B7RNYNGL._SS500_.jpg

Caught Ghost World on HDNet the other day. What a great movie. Fits perfect with my pseudo-hipster, jaded GenX, post-modern, indie-rock sensibilities. Everything from the love of the bizarre (a "raptor" T-shirt) to the intense connection with artistic genius (the blues record). Sweet funny and poignant all at once - and told from a point of view I can relate to.

Wow. Wolverine really did leak.

What did you think of it? I was quite pleased with it apart from it being obviously unfinished. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool( I presume) was a bit of a non runner though.

I finally got around to watching Twilight, which wasn't awful; it's easy to see why so many young girls love it, and it was amusing to watch the movie tap into the vampire genre's usual preoccupation with sexuality by flipping it around and connecting the characters' repressed urges to abstinence. Still, it seemed laugh-out-loud silly far too often. Plus, it's a love story between a 17-year-old girl and a 108-year-old vampire. The age difference is way creepier than the he-might-suck-her-blood factor.

ashesoftimeredux.jpg

My first encounter with Wong Kar-Wai's Ashes of Time was years ago, when it was only available as a cruddy, improperly framed transfer with incoherent and out-of-sync subtitles. Buried under there was a good, possibly great, movie, but you had to use your imagination to dig it out. This new cleaned-up and re-worked version takes all the guesswork out of the experience: It's pure pleasure, and some kind of martial arts classic.

manbitesdog.JPG

Found this out in the garage, old VHS copy. Still played, even though I had to go back to the garage to find the VCR. Great movie.

What did you think of it? I was quite pleased with it apart from it being obviously unfinished. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool( I presume) was a bit of a non runner though.

I loved seeing the movie in that stage, found it all very interesting, but very distracting from the actual movie.

We're still going to take the 10 yr old to see it in the theatre.

By the way, when did it start costing $10 to got to the movies? I'll admit, I don't go that often, preferring to avoid the chattering idiots, but I'm waiting on Netflix for everything if its going to cost thirty bucks for me and the lady to catch a movie with a few sodas.

God, I haven't been to the cinema in ages. Since I left the Navy I reckon, at least 5 years. I used to go all the time depending on where we docked. The nearest one to me is about 15 miles away and I just couldn't be arsed.

Ghost World
I never get tired of that one. If you love real down in the delta blues, you're going to LOVE Blueshammer! That whole scene kills me. I think that might be one of my Top 5 favorite movies, easily top five comedies.

I get upset for Steve watching that movie. I want to be the hell out of those punks for a little while. It works out, but it really bothers me. Maybe I'm a little too close to that guy.

> By the way, when did it start costing $10 to got to the movies?

we have tight-arse tuesday down here.... cheaper prices. it's about $14 down here

Do you get a discount if you bring your own sheep? :lol

We have some theater here that charges $4.50* all day for first run movies. Its not the greatest theater ever, but it gets the job done, so I always go to that one.

*its $4.50 since I still use my student ID from college, I think its $6.00 for normies.