A friend and I watched Burn After Reading Saturday night. My friend really hated it, and I wasn't that crazy about it, either. There were some great plot twists and a great cast, and while I thought all of the characters were interesting, it just didn't all come together for me. It's definitely my least favorite Coen brothers' film that I've seen, and I've seen just about all of them.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Burn After Reading twice, and loved it twice. One thing I really like about it is that it doesn't ask you to identify with, or root for, any of the characters. Instead, we're asked to adopt the POV of an outsider helplessly watching a disaster unfold, a disaster that owes as much to happenstance and non sequitors and surreal puzzles as it does the stupidity of the characters. The script is all of a piece, and some kind of brilliant. There's no traditional hero, but I was rooting for the script the whole time, and there's something heroic about that.

BS1030.jpg

tell-no-one-759585.jpg

Not bad. The pacing was a little uneven, and I have to admit that it took me a good 10 seconds for it to sink in that Kristin Scott Thomas' character was a lesbian.

The major villian was off camera too much, and still felt unresolved at the end.

And the easy crticism is that it's just a French ripoff of the Fugitive. That's fair, but I enjoyed it anyway

I watched it with english voice dubs 'cause I was too tired to read subtitles. A few of the voice overs they chose were... not what you'd expect from the characters.

Watched Changeling a couple of nights ago. Started it at 8:30 thinking I'd watch 1/2 one night and finish it the next. No way I could turn it off! Damn it was a good movie. Disturbing, yet satisfying. Clint Eastwood has never heard the phrase "comic relief", and that's okay.

"Whatever Works"

I'm a big Woody Allen fan and its good to see him back in New York. Cooler still is that Larry David is starring in this.

This has a ridiculous amount of potential. Can't wait to see it.

Digposter.jpg

Goddamn but Anton Newcombe is a freaking LOON. It's a miracle he is still alive.

"Exotica"...directed by Atom Egoyan.....which features a stripper who doesnt strip. Slow and contrived. My wife and I decided the only way we'd make it thru was to give it the MST3K treatment which made it much more palatable.

"Exotica"...directed by Atom Egoyan.....which features a stripper who doesnt strip. Slow and contrived. My wife and I decided the only way we'd make it thru was to give it the MST3K treatment which made it much more palatable.
"Oh look, she's 'stripping' to Leonard Cohen. Suh-priiiiise!" Because they just don't use "Everybody Knows" in dirty movies often enough. :yawn

Man, I've only ever heard good things about Exotica before this. Never seen it, but I've always been interested - particularly because The Sweet Hereafter's one of my favorites.

Man, I've only ever heard good things about Exotica before this. Never seen it, but I've always been interested - particularly because The Sweet Hereafter's one of my favorites.

You know how it goes........to each their own and all that......the reason I got it was because of Eberts recent column gushing all about it......but for my wife and I, we saw the plot twists a mile away and just tore it apart. That along with one thread of the plot being completely dropped from the story about halfway thru made it a film we just couldnt buy in to.

> How is this? Anyway I could talk to you into maybe doing a B&P on that for me?

hmm, ditto. is it different to the Let it be movie?

It's 3-DVD5s (about 5-6 hours) worth of footage from the Let It Be film project: They've taken every available frame of footage and compiled it in a chronological order. You get lots of studio performances, studio playback sessions, and Yoko endlessly sitting beside John :D. So yeah, way more expansive than the Let It Be film.

I downloaded it from a film site recently. I can give you guys an invite if you want to download it there (PM me with an email address if you're interested.) If you can't do the download thing, I could do a trade, that would be no problem. If there are more people interested, I could also start a vine and get it out there that way.

Watched "Journey to the Seventh Planet" the other night, directed by Sid Pink, starring B movie superstar John Agar. I gotta say, it was crapolicious! I mean that in the best way possible-it had an evil talking brain that spewed psychedelic colors, wicked paper mache sets, a cyclops T-Rex and babes galor. I hope to watch "Invisible Invaders", another John Agar vehicle, tonite. If I could, I'd give Netflix a French kiss, just for being there for me.