• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reader - Kate Winslet was awesome.

Frozen River - Melissa Leo was awesome.

Not sure who should get the statue but Frozen River was a much better movie imo.

51P2YBBDVEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51c4oNjfyqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 513YOt4XRBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

To Kill a Mockingbird - One of the few instances were book and movie are both great in their own right.

Low: You May Need a Murderer - Interesting glimpse into the lives of the bands 2 principals. The film follows them around on a local tour as well as filming them at home. Alan Sparhawk provides some interesting monologues about religion and living in America. Some great acoustic performances included throughout as well.

Rachel Getting Married - Enjoyed the natural pacing and its voyeuristic glimpse into family dynamics. The film is about getting into the stuff that festers but usually doesn't get spoken.

I couldn't take that one guy in Rachel Getting Married seriously, because he also played the psycho DA on Reno 911. :lol

After seeing The Times of Harvey Milk again last night, I've decided that Sean Penn totally overplayed it.

I couldn't take that one guy in Rachel Getting Married seriously, because he also played the psycho DA on Reno 911. :lol

After seeing The Times of Harvey Milk again last night, I've decided that Sean Penn totally overplayed it.

The serial killer guy who they come to see in prison about passwords or whatever it was?

51P55R8ZBWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 41uXxDyBg7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
The Johnny Cash movie is playing in Boulder at 10am on Saturday. Can't wait.

The Folsom doc was okay, but the lack of live footage from that show makes it a distant 2nd to the San Quentin doc. Still, some interesting Cash tidbits in the film nevertheless.

The Folsom doc was okay, but the lack of live footage from that show makes it a distant 2nd to the San Quentin doc. Still, some interesting Cash tidbits in the film nevertheless.

I worried about that, I didn't think there was much live footage although I was hoping they had unearthed some. Hopefully it's still worth seeing?

We watched "Holy Smoke" with Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel last nite. Found it to be a very interesting film--funny, deep and shocking. I'm slowly developing a new found respect for Winslet......and Harvey must have a deep well of masculine self confidence!

Du_levande_movie_Poster.jpg

You, the Living [Du Levande] / Roy Andersson / Sweden

More perfection from Andersson. Like Songs from the Second Floor, the movie is a series of carefully crafted, highly stylized tableaux that don't quite mold into a narrative but fit like jigsaw pieces into a kind of thematic consistency. (If the earlier film was about impending apocalypse, this one is about dreams, nightmares, and the desire for connections with others.) I'm a bit of a sucker for Andersson's stone-faced style (most scenes are one shot, with the camera perfectly placed to capture all necessary detail and action, plus hilarious odds and ends in the background), perhaps because we share a satirical, dry, and ultra-deadpan sense of humor. Whatever the reason, I was mesmerized, and laughed out loud at least a dozen times.

This clip will give you the idea.

And this one is

. Keep your eye on the window.

51eTgnQg5CL._SS500_.jpg

This was excellent. Starts out slow - I was afraid we were headed for another Talledega Nights-esque situation where each little snort of laughter is almost not worth the physical exertion it warrants. But it kicks into overdrive once Ferrell's other brother shows up, and keeps that momentum through the end, through the gag reel, through the deleted scenes, line-o-rama, the making of....all awesome.

I was let down by that one too. The trailer was more fun than the movie.

Now watching:

The L Word is back. Ooooohhhh yeah..."This is the way, it's the way that we live aaand looooove!!!" So bad, but I can't help myself. :yay

Just watched "Religulous". Meh.

:ohwell Haven't watched it yet, but I'm such an unabashed Maher fan I'll be getting the DVD for sure.