512cJVMjKIL._SS500_.jpg

A year after Hudson and Wyman made All That Heaven Allows, they were back together playing similar roles in this one. Though not as good a film as that one, this is still worth watching. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Douglas Sirk melodramas.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love The Furies (and just about anything by Anthony Mann).

GtrPlyr, if you like those Sirk melodramas, then I must recommend Fassbinder's Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. The central May-December romance between an elderly German cleaning lady and an Arab foreign worker can be read, obviously, as allegory: I saw it first as a racial allegory, then a sexual one, then, finally, a historical one--especially since the dialogue alludes to Hitler several times. The movie becomes a complex document of uneasy times, of how society divides itself in order to define itself, and how lingering doubt--in this case, residue left over from the Third Reich--continues to poison for many years. I was completely drawn in, thanks to the Sirkian melodrama and primary colors, and also the compositional qualities that swivels between kitchen-sink realism and powerful formalism ( I loved how Fassbinder uses doorways to frame essential material). The performances are also quite moving.

GtrPlyr, if you like those Sirk melodramas, then I must recommend Fassbinder's Ali: Fear Eats the Soul.

That is one of my all-time favorite films :thumbup:

If I recall correctly, Fassbinder filmed it in 20 some odd days in-between working on another film. Little did he probably realize at the time that he was making one of his most enduring classics.

Taken. Not a masterpiece for sure, not as exciting as the Bourne movies, but still a good action flick with good acting by Liam Neeson. The plot outline is kind of cheesy, but it is worth it to see Liam Neeson kicking some serious ass.

Taken. Not a masterpiece for sure, not as exciting as the Bourne movies, but still a good action flick with good acting by Liam Neeson. The plot outline is kind of cheesy, but it is worth it to see Liam Neeson kicking some serious ass.

Cool - that's exactly what I was hoping for from the ads.

Cool - that's exactly what I was hoping for from the ads.

Reading that back I realized I wrote out his entire name twice within two sentences. But it fits because when you see it, you're just like, holy shit Liam fucking Neeson is beating the shit out of that guy. Seriously, he kills over 50 people throughout the film, many with just his bare hands.

Last night, I watched The Last Templar- which is based on a book I read last year. It is basically a Da Vinci Code rip-off, but I do like the historical story lines one finds in these films. Part two is on tonight.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

505586~The-Brave-One-Posters.jpg

i liked this one, although it probably won't be one i'm dying to see again and again. good performances by foster and howard.

their little relationship was completely unexpected to me, but worked.

also rewatched The Departed for the 3rd time in a month. i just can't get enough of that one these days.

EDIT: it was strange to see Naveen Andrews get his ass kicked in The Brave One. He always rocks the shit as Sayid on Lost.

I'm not "Now Watching" but I wanted to give a plug for a film some friends of mine made and just premiered at Sundance. The movie is called "The Cove" and you can see a trailer here. It won the Audience Award at Sundance.

Flipper was one of the most beloved television characters of all time. But ironically, the fascination with dolphins that he caused created a tragic epidemic that has threatened their existence and become a multibillion dollar industry. The largest supplier of dolphins in the world is located in the picturesque town of Taijii, Japan. But the town has a dark, horrifying secret that it doesn't want the rest of the world to know. There are guards patrolling the cove, where the dolphin capturing takes place, who prevent any photography. The only way to stop the evil acts of this company and the town that protects it is to expose them....and that's exactly what the brave group of activists in The Cove intend to do.Armed with state-of-the-art surveillance equipment, the members of the small group, led by the most famous dolphin trainer in the world, devise a covert plan to infiltrate the cove to document the horrifying events that happen there. Along the way, they uncover what may be the largest health crisis facing our planet
Agreed. That was a great movie.

I liked that one too. His follow up "The Visitor" was pretty good too.