• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw 'The Wrestler' and thought it was unbelievable. Great movie...I have yet to see Penn in Milk, but Mickey Rourke should seriously be considered for an Oscar here.

I have also recently seen Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and think that both of these are grossly overrated.

I liked Curious Case....just very long and somewhat boring.

I don't see the fuss in Slumdog, a bit ridiculous and over the top.

I totally agree on Slumdog. The first half was pretty good, but once the brothers grew up I thought it started drowning in cliches. Loved watching Mickey Rourke win the Golden Globe tonight. While I also still haven't seen Milk, I have to think Rourke deserves the Oscar as well.

Rourke's acceptance speech was quite touching--although the best part may have been NBC's closeup of Aronofsky giving him the finger. Some classic TV right there.

Seeing Rourke win was the best moment of the show for me. His acceptance speech felt honest and humble; refreshing after the seemingly feigned humbleness of some of the others.

Also love that Aronofsky's flipping the bird to Rourke made it on air. Live TV, you have to love it. I'm sure the producers and network heads weren't all that impressed though :D.

Seeing Rourke win was the best moment of the show for me. His acceptance speech felt honest and humble; refreshing after the seemingly feigned humbleness of some of the others.

Also love that Aronofsky's flipping the bird to Rourke made it on air. Live TV, you have to love it. I'm sure the producers and network heads weren't all that impressed though :D.

The finger was great. I also liked Colin Farrell sniffling and saying something about a cold or allergies and it's not what it used to be. I thought Ricky Gervais was pretty good too. He seemed pretty lit.

Let The Right One In - good shit. Just completely mesmerizing and original.

Rewatched The Darjeeling Limited and Rushmore this weekend. I like Darjeeling a lot more than I remembered and Rushmore was great as always.

Milk - Just a good movie. Sean Penn was great, but every time I say that, it just makes me want to see The Wrestler. Hopefully I'll get to that tonight.

Absolutely. Kate Winslet and that Hawkins chick from the movie I've never heard of were ridiculous. Say what you want about their art, but any actor awards ceremony is an unmatched convention of the ridiculously self obsessed. It's nauseating.

I'd like some male actor to win, grab the trophy, and tell all of his critics and competitors to fuck off. At least he'd be honest.

Rourke was great though. That was genuine when I didn't think it existed.

Ditto.

Question for those who did watch it all - I missed most of a Tina Fey acceptance speech - was she really telling some internet types off, or was it a gag?

Now watching crack cocaine in televised form - AKA 24. I would love to hear Janeane Garofalo's explanation for joining the cast of this show. Then again, Keifer's quite a leftist too. It's fun, I just wish it could be taken as just entertainment without some in the right wing treating it like a documentary and a justification for torture. If it works for Jack Bauer, it must work at Abu Ghraib too...

Absolutely. Kate Winslet and that other chick from the movie I've never heard of were ridiculous. Say what you want about their art, but any actor awards ceremony is an unmatched convention of the ridiculously self obsessed. It's nauseating.

I'd like some male actor to win, grab the trophy, and tell all of his critics and competitors to fuck off. At least he'd be honest.

Rourke was great though. That was genuine when I didn't think it existed.

Ditto.

Question for those who did watch it all - I missed most of a Tina Fey acceptance speech - was she really telling some internet types off, or was it a gag?

When Kate won the second time, to me she seemed very open and sincere. I found her to be quite charming. :yes I think it was her time to win and I'm glad she did!

Oh, and Tina Fey's speech was great! Yes, she was really naming people on the internet. She was talking about people on a forum called 'The Envelope."

OK, a little late to the party on this one, and surprisingly VERY difficult to find for a rental.

Good movie, not great, but much better than most schlock out there. Beautiful imagery early on, but it didn't completely draw me in, i.e. I was paying too much attention to the implausibilities. Underwhelming ending. I think I'll always be more critical of this one based on its potential. While it didn't completely misfire, it was agonizingly close to greatness, and that's what makes it most painful.

It could have been phenomenal, but it didn't really have a worthy point to make. I loved the visuals. Absolute candy.

1. Elizabeth Banks

2. Salma Hayek

3. Kate Winslet

Scale of Hawtness? Annoyance?

Kate Winslet and that Hawkins chick from the movie I've never heard of were ridiculous.

Yes, the Winslet speech in particular--especially the 2nd one--seemed way too overly emotive like she was acting out what she thought a two time winner should be like. One second she was all breathless bumbling, the very next focused. It just didn't feel 100% real to me. She's an actress, and a good one, so the lines between real and fake may get blurred at times.

Or, maybe she actually thinks a little statue means that much.

Yes, most likely that is it.

These awards mean nothing until you win one yourself. The people not winning are probably thinking: "Yeah, big deal. 60 Hollywood foreign press people voted for you. Whoop-dee-doo!" :)

I liked Doubt and really liked Gran Torino--even if the Christ-figure stuff at the end was a bit over-the-top. And The Curious Case of Benjamin Button might be among the year's best.

The Sundance Channel is doing 31 Days of Sundance this month, with a different Sundance feature each night. Take a look at the schedule and suggest some films.

Starting from today--the 18th--I'd highly recommend these:

Sex & Lucia

For the Bible Tells Me So

Joe Strummer

The Puffy Chair

For the uninitiated, Stromboli concerns a woman stuck on a volcanic island, trapped in a hopeless marriage (which seems ironic since during the film's making Bergman left her own husband for Rossellini, leading to the same moral dilemmas and public condemnation that her character faces.)

Simply superb movie, highly recommended.

Ove the last two days I have been watching whatever rubbish was on tv.

Remember The Titans, actually pretty watchable and well, Denzil...worth a watch at any time.

The Pursuit Of Happyness, not as bad as I thought it would be.

1408, I only watched this because of my Stephen King obsession but it was ok too.