• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51f34GSeBXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Well this blew me away. I've never seen a Sean Penn-directed film that didn't move me deeply.

Well ironically enough, I just re-watched this amazing movie with a few of my pals yesterday (were you secretly there? haha) Anyways, one of my favorite movies of all time. :thumbup

I just saw Meet Joe Black for the first time, really enjoyed it. I am surprised that it got such mixed reviews, I really enjoyed it, however I was disappointed that I called the ending from miles away, I have a bad habit of doing that

boyaposter.jpg

Boy A

What is life like for a man who, as a young boy, was a participant in a grisly, highly-publicized child murder? Now released from prison, he is given a new name and a new life, and he is a soft-spoken guy who seems incapable of aggression--he can barely muster the courage to ask out a co-worker--but flashbacks provide complex psychological explanations for how he found himself caught up in violence. Although the movie's style is naturalistic, it often feels like a suspense thriller about guilt and inner struggle. The real theme, though, is forgiveness: Who needs it, who deserves it, who gets to decide?

Terrific movie. And in the way it comments on how society marks transgressors, it reminded me a bit of The Woodsman and even Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter.

51f34GSeBXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Well this blew me away. I've never seen a Sean Penn-directed film that didn't move me deeply.

I thought it was a great movie. And a hell of a good book.

Last night, I was watching:

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

For a Few Dollars More (1965)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

which are my favorite Clint Eastwood films - along with the following:

Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)

The Beguiled (1971)

High Plains Drifter (1973)

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Unforgiven (1992)

Last night, I was watching:

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

For a Few Dollars More (1965)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

I just got the boxset (dvd prices seem to be dropping in advance of the Blueray takeover) and watched Fistful last night. I still prefer the original.

Yojimbo_Rep.jpg

surfing channels there's Hannity interviewing Rush. I don't care what your political leanings are, this is absolutely unwatchable.

513MK6E9EAL._SS500_.jpg 51X2lUM+DvL._SS500_.jpg

A Lucille Ball comedy/musical and a film noir. The girl could do it all.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I thought it was a great movie. And a hell of a good book.

Into the Wild is my favorite book and I thought the movie did more that justice to it. It was fantastic. I couldn't agree more with all of you guys. Emile Hirsch was great, the movie was touching, the soundtrack and score were excellent, and so on.

I haven't seen Milk yet, but i've like everything else I've seen from Penn, especially The Crossing Guard and Into the Wild.

EDIT: I realize now that Sean Penn didn't direct Milk. So never mind.

I just got the boxset (dvd prices seem to be dropping in advance of the Blueray takeover) and watched Fistful last night. I still prefer the original.

I know about it - but I've never seen it. I read some books about Sergio Leone and those movies last year, pretty amazing behind the scenes stories. Such as - Lee Van Cleef was not even working as an actor when he asked him to be in the movie, he was doing paintings at the time.

I watched that the same week, I think, as Tony Kaye's equally harrowing Lake of Fire.

Yikes. After reading the Lake of Fire summary, I think I'd need at least 4 months, 3 weeks, etc. between those two (rimshot)

u71486v70hl.jpg

A decent movie. Good plot, some of the dialogue, especially in the 1st half, was incredibly poor. People just don't talk that way. Penelope Cruz was okay, but not Oscar-worthy IMHO.

I'm pretty sure Woody's main motivation for making this movie was to film Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson kissing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

countess_dracula_movie_poster_105.jpg

Hammer time!

I saw that when I was like 10 and it scared the bejeesus out of me for an entire year.

I have a greater appreciation for Ingrid Pitt now that I'm older.

2 movies so far this weekend w/ may Burn After Reading later tonight. Friday it was Hulk. Even Ed Norton couldn't save this movie. It was okay. I sure hope the don't combine Iron Man and Hulk for a sequel as the ending hinted. Then The Dark Night!! Great, great movie!! I haven't seen a Christopher Nolan movie that isn't great. Loved all the helicopter shots above the skyscrapers. Also, while I'm sure there was a lot of CGI, it usually didn't look like it. The explosions and special effects looked REAL.

I've seen Heath Ledger and Robert Downey, Jr. I don't know which I'd vote for in the Oscars.

Guest Hollinger.
2 movies so far this weekend w/ may Burn After Reading later tonight. Friday it was Hulk. Even Ed Norton couldn't save this movie. It was okay. I sure hope the don't combine Iron Man and Hulk for a sequel as the ending hinted. Then The Dark Night!! Great, great movie!! I haven't seen a Christopher Nolan movie that isn't great. Loved all the helicopter shots above the skyscrapers. Also, while I'm sure there was a lot of CGI, it usually didn't look like it. The explosions and special effects looked REAL.

I've seen Heath Ledger and Robert Downey, Jr. I don't know which I'd vote for in the Oscars.

A lot of the explosions, particularly the hospital, were real. That's why there was that extended scene with Heath fumbling with the detonator. The scene was either mistimed or someone missed a cue. He just started improvising since they only had one shot at the explosion.