• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W. meh. A few good scenes. My favorite moment was Rumsfeld eating Pecan Pie. While I don't doubt that Cheney feels the way he was portrayed in the "empire" speech, but I don't think he would've given it a room that included Powell.

I watched half of I Am Legend last night. What a heap.

Only the first half? And that's the good half... it only gets worse, much worse.

Only the first half? And that's the good half... it only gets worse, much worse.

Serious? It was bloody boring. Is that meant to be a re-make of The Omega Man? If so, Charlton Heston you are forgiven!

Saw three great films this weekend:

Let the Right One In might be the best vampire movie I've ever seen--mostly because it's about so much more than just bloodsucking. It's a strange and absorbing hybrid of fable, genre, and psychological realism.

Synecdoche, New York had me in its surreal, suffocating choke-hold right from the start. It's not a conventionally enjoyable experience, but I found its portrait of loneliness and despair so compelling that right away I felt like watching it again. No film this ambitious, personal, and human is ever truly depressing--Kaufman's vision might be profoundly sad, but you're lifted by his artistry.

I Love You, Man has taken some lumps for following a formula, but I'd say that's essential to its success, because the movie is devised as a satire of romantic-comedy conventions. (It uses genre staples only to subvert them.) Paul Rudd's comic delivery is unparalleled, and the best jokes are rooted in some kind of truth about relationships, whether between friends or between lovers. My wife and I laughed out loud throughout.

I also saw You Don't Mess With the Zohan, which sucked.

Synecdoche, New York - Best film I've seen in a long time. I enjoyed every second. I love Kaufman, how he invites you into his personal struggles; you can't help but feel involved in the material. This film is as close to perfect as possible given the scope of what was attempted.

Twilight - I did not enjoy this. I'm definitely not the target audience. This was like a bad made-for-TV movie. And my fiancee loves the books, so I had to listen to her bitching the entire time. It was an awesome hate fest.

I Love You, Man has taken some lumps for following a formula, but I'd say that's essential to its success, because the movie is devised as a satire of romantic-comedy conventions. (It uses genre staples only to subvert them.) Paul Rudd's comic delivery is unparalleled, and the best jokes are rooted in some kind of truth about relationships, whether between friends or between lovers. My wife and I laughed out loud throughout.

I laughed throughout as well, and for that reason alone, the film is a success, but found some things lacking. I didn't care for Rashida Jones' acting (or perhaps it was the way the role was written?). She was way too nice and accommodating. I didn't think there was much chemistry between her and Rudd. The squeaky-voiced guy was a lame one-note joke. Why cast Andy Samberg? - he's nothing but a haircut. If he's funny then put him in a funny role.

This was cool...

41IQsUzz6HL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I would really like to see this. But I feel like I'm going to get vertigo just sitting in my chair watching him.

I would really like to see this. But I feel like I'm going to get vertigo just sitting in my chair watching him.

Nah. Most of the archival footage is ramshackle so it never makes you anxious. Instead, the film grooves the most during the interviews, letting you enjoy the guy's sheer energy and personality.

Guest Jules
Certain scenes made my palms sweat. I'm glad there's people in the world like him. I'm also glad I'm not one of them.

It's funny. I've sky dived, bungy jumped, etc, etc, but heights like this (tall buildings, observation decks, etc) still get to me on some level. Even on this film. However, I was fortunate to be able to watch it on a relatively large screen, so maybe that contributed to it.

Instead, the film grooves the most during the interviews, letting you enjoy the guy's sheer energy and personality.

This is true.

I caught Monsters v. Aliens with the kid tonight. It was cute, there's a little Al Gore joke hidden in it that's dated but I lol'd.

Tomorrow I'm seeing Haunting in Connecticut with a homie.