News, news, news

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awesome news. The fact that Wilco is such a noted live band and still has not had a proper long form concert DVD before now is simply mind boggling. It is even more unbelievable that anyone here is not psyched for this release. They needed to do this a long time ago but better late than never and I hope it's not their only concert DVD ever either.

Some of you people need to lighten up. I don't hear Pearl Jam fans or Radiohead fans complain when they release a DVD and they have released plenty of them each. It's good to have this stuff when the day finally comes that Wilco don't tour anymore. We will always have the performance footage and the records forever. Maybe it will be even shown on cable and expand their audience a bit and then I won't read threads about how nobody knows who Wilco is. There is no loss of integrity in this day and age for releasing a long form video. Just my two cents.

With all due respect to our friends in Spain, but my espanol esta no muy bien - so I translated the announcment from the Malaga venue via google translator:

"The first half of the Foundation will offer the public Kursaal Donostia twenty long events, as its leaders unveiled yesterday, are characterized by "label of quality." The sale of new subscriptions will be held between 12 and 14 January and localities can be purchased loose from January 22.

Miguel Martin, developer of the Foundation Kursaal section devoted to popular music, noted the "variety" of the acts that the public benefit in the first half of next year.

As far as popular music of Anglo-Saxon origin is concerned, Martin drew attention to the concert that Wilco, the band led by American Jeff Tweedy, display your best alternative rock in the big bucket."

So now we know, big bucket tickets on sale from the 22nd.... Hopefully not for big bucks though!

We need more dates please to let us book our trips - Spain in late May /Early June esta magnifique - we were in Atrurias and Cantabria 3 years ago at this time and it was terrific.

Some of you people need to lighten up. I don't hear Pearl Jam fans or Radiohead fans complain when they release a DVD and they have released plenty of them each. It's good to have this stuff when the day finally comes that Wilco don't tour anymore. We will always have the performance footage and the records forever. Maybe it will be even shown on cable and expand their audience a bit and then I won't read threads about how nobody knows who Wilco is. There is no loss of integrity in this day and age for releasing a long form video. Just my two cents.

link?

This is awesome news. The fact that Wilco is such a noted live band and still has not had a proper long form concert DVD before now is simply mind boggling. It is even more unbelievable that anyone here is not psyched for this release. They needed to do this a long time ago but better late than never and I hope it's not their only concert DVD ever either.

Can't speak for Pearl Jam, but Radiohead's never released a live DVD. Settle down.

Can't speak for Pearl Jam, but Radiohead's never released a live DVD. Settle down.

Ummm my post wasn't really getting all up in arms or anything. But given all the responses kind of backs up my point of some members maybe needing to lighten up. As far as Radiohead goes. They have released the aforementioned Astoria DVD. They also just released a special around the time of In Rainbows release in High Def called- From the Basement. It was up on itunes and I'm sure they will be releasing a DVD of it sometime soon.

In addition they have released Meeting People is Easy, which has a ton of live footage so that's borderline. The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth Of All Time and a music video collection. So by my count that is four official released DVDs for a band that basically started releasing albums when Wilco did. I just read some previous posts saying they could take or leave the release and I didn't understand the apathy given as a official band live release DVD this would be the first for Wilco. Guess that's why I have never bothered posting much on this board. People seem to like to argue.

People seem to like to argue.

Welcome to the internet! :lol

I don't think people here are any more argumentative than at most other message boards I've been on. I do think that people might not be all that worked up about an official release, because we're all a little bit spoiled by JHamm's fabulous work. While I agree that an official DVD will be nice, and I'm certainly looking forward to it, we're not exactly hurting for live Wilco footage.

Welcome to the internet! :lol

I don't think people here are any more argumentative than at most other message boards I've been on. I do think that people might not be all that worked up about an official release, because we're all a little bit spoiled by JHamm's fabulous work. While I agree that an official DVD will be nice, and I'm certainly looking forward to it, we're not exactly hurting for live Wilco footage.

Point taken about the internet. Anyways I do video work and appreciate JHAMM's work myself. But read back even he posted he wanted to see this release. Because as good as JHAMM's work is he knows and I know he is working with some really inferior sources sometimes. So it will just be nice to have a quality source show to watch. So it's really not comparable. PJ & RH also have tons of dedicated fans who do similar work as JHAMM for the band but the fans seem to realize the value of officially released DVDs by those bands and as mentioned before they have released a lot more than Wilco has.

Just would be cool if like on their boards there were long threads about what would be on the DVD not arguing the merits of releasing one. Guess with all the problems going on in the world I just take it as good news. But I'm old fashioned like that and enjoy vinyl and listening to entire albums still. So I am really looking forward to it.

Personally I wish Wilco would not even have to put the disclaimer about concert films in their email. There are a lot of bad ones but a lot of good ones too. From Wilco I just take it for granted that it will be good and quality like all their releases. Like I said my opinion. I am really looking forward to the DVD and hopefully Blu Ray so I will leave it at that.

I don't get what you're referring to here...?

Ditto. I don't see any arguing. :ohwell

Anyhow, I will be buying it and the other bluray thing too. So, there's that and such.

Ummm my post wasn't really getting all up in arms or anything. But given all the responses kind of backs up my point of some members maybe needing to lighten up. As far as Radiohead goes. They have released the aforementioned Astoria DVD. They also just released a special around the time of In Rainbows release in High Def called- From the Basement. It was up on itunes and I'm sure they will be releasing a DVD of it sometime soon.

In addition they have released Meeting People is Easy, which has a ton of live footage so that's borderline. The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth Of All Time and a music video collection. So by my count that is four official released DVDs for a band that basically started releasing albums when Wilco did. I just read some previous posts saying they could take or leave the release and I didn't understand the apathy given as a official band live release DVD this would be the first for Wilco. Guess that's why I have never bothered posting much on this board. People seem to like to argue.

Well I Am Trying To Break Your Heart occupies a similar space in the Wilco canon that Meeting People Is Easy occupies for Radiohead, and you could also make arguments for the Sky Blue Sky DVD and Jeff Tweedy's solo DVD as well. Admittedly I had forgotten about Live at the Astoria, but that one consists of just a small chunk of Radiohead's career (just early takes on Bends material, and songs from their first album which most people seem to consider awful)... But you seem very eager to crucify Wilco on their attitudes towards DVDs, while simultaneously praising Radiohead, which seems to make your position tenuous.

I had backstage passes to the MSG show with neil young, got to go in Wilcos dressing room and all, very cool, but I talked to jeff about the new album while we were watching neil young backstage on acouple of tvs, and he said it would be out in the spring but there was a chance it would be out in the summer, and he said the wilco song is on it, and John told me that too. Nels on the otherhand i didnt bother to talk to because he had his button shirt unbottoned and no undershirt it was kind of weird.

knowing the wilco song is on this album scares me for what the rest of it will sound like.

knowing the wilco song is on this album scares me for what the rest of it will sound like.

Not going to lie, it scares me a little too.

It doesn't scare me at all. I'm actually happy that it will be included. I'm sure the lyrics and arrangement will be different.. Come on, that riff kicks ass.

It doesn't scare me at all. I'm actually happy that it will be included. I'm sure the lyrics and arrangement will be different.. Come on, that riff kicks ass.

b-side at best. just like half of sbs. I would love for them to use full potential of every member esp nels

b-side at best. just like half of sbs. I would love for them to use full potential of every member esp nels

:lol

How about we hear what the song sounds like on the album before we complain about how badly it turned out on the album that hasn't been released yet because it hasn't been recorded yet?