• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten so used to my noise canceling earbuds, but I miss headphones sometimes. My dad had a big pair when I was growing up, and at first we shared them, though as he started listening to less music I started listening to more, and eventually they spent more time in my bedroom than they did at the family stereo. Just the size and feeling of good headphones now make me nostalgic, because immediately I remember how much music I discovered through my dad's headphones.

I've gotten so used to my noise canceling earbuds, but I miss headphones sometimes. My dad had a big pair when I was growing up, and at first we shared them, though as he started listening to less music I started listening to more, and eventually they spent more time in my bedroom than they did at the family stereo. Just the size and feeling of good headphones now make me nostalgic, because immediately I remember how much music I discovered through my dad's headphones.

Amen, buddy. Amen.

I go back and forth between headphones and stereo speakers. I find that the nuances and lyrics that people seem to miss has to do with short attention spans and the fact that music is now the soundtrack/background music to the rest of our lives. So few people put on a record, and then sit on their couch, and listen. Without also reading, typing, surfing, working, etc.

Headphones are great and allow for you to pick up different nuances as mentioned above, but I'd say that actively listening, is the reason that you pick up more nuance. You can do that with headphones or stereo speakers.

I agree completely with this 100%

I have a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 580s.

I like them, but prefer to listen through speakers.

I mainly use a pair of Vandersteen 2CeIIs that reveal a big and precise sound that I not only hear, but feel.

They looked pretty similar to Mr. Costello's headphones, too :lol

You never really see those big coiled headphone wires anymore, I remember spending a lot of time untangling them, I guess that's why.

I agree with about everything here. With a new little one at home my wife got me a pair of Sennheiser HD 595 for christmas. They sound fantastic and I have thoroughly enjoyed them. Most of my listening at home is to vinyl and I have got to say that it is very hard to beat the Klipsch Quartets I have. They were being discontinued in 1996 (I think) and I got them at great price. Anyway, I have been looking at new speakers for years, but just haven't been able to get rid of them. I think its the combination of the horn drivers and the passive woofer, I don't know.

I digress....the sennheiser headphones are fantastic and a lot of fun to listen to music on.

I hate that when I burn cds for peeps, there's a good chance they aren't going to be listening to them on headphones. They don't know what they're missing! It's so nice to just sit down and listen to great music sometimes. Most people really just don't spend enough time sprawled out on the floor, staring at the ceiling, letting music penetrate their brains, I think.

Ha. Sometimes I scribble a little "with headphones please" on the CD. Might do this on my record.....such a difference in sound quality.

EDIT: BTW, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones are really awesome if you are into spending money on these sorts of things.

One of my favorite musical memories is sitting in my car on a snowy night watching a train go buy and listening to the first Robbie Robertson album. I think that's partly why I like that album so much.

Thats awesome.

I listen to music on various different systems and I find that what I'm listening on realy dictates what I want to hear

Generally less dense music seems to work best on lower fidelity systems and more dynamic/complex stuff on hi fi.

I can't listen to old Jazz on anything to revealing cause I find it too distracting, all that hiss.

Elvis=Phillips sound machine ghettoblaster (has a USB input!)

Evangelicals=Good headphones

Short reviews of headphones I have owned ;

Beyer Dynamic DT770-Sounds good but need a good amp to drive them.

Sennhieser hd25-Sometimes I put these on and can't get them to sit right, other times they feel nice. They have a smaller cup that sits

on rather than over your ears. Very pretty sounding.

Audio Technica ATHm50-Similar sound to hd25s slightly less hyped and quite a bit cheaper too. Highly recomendthese

AKG K271-These crapped out after about six months. they have a Mk2 version now which hopefully is better build quality.

I remember them as not quite as good sounding as the DT770.

Sennhieser HD650-Far out+ holy shit+ expensive+I have worn out one pair .

• 10 months later...

Got these right before Christmas. Did a lot of research before hand. Man are they ever sweet:

Audio-Technica_m50.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000P62ND6

I am (re)astounded at how much more nuance one hears on a good set of headphones.

Shopping for headphones, are you still pretty happy with these? This is about the right price range for me.

Any other suggestions for headphones?

Head-Fi is a great site if you obsess about this stuff.

I miss my Japanese woodie AT's. Great sound under $400 (used) and could easily be driven off an iPod output if you wanted them mobile. Sweet midrange, not excessive bass. (kinda big tho)

ath_w1000_large.jpg

has anyone used these Bose on-ear headphones? i've listened to them in the store and they're really comfortable and seem to have a nice sound to them...

oe_headphones_bl_lg.jpg

Im not familiar with that particular pair, but I will say 80% of what you're paying for with Bose is advertising.

has anyone used these Bose on-ear headphones? i've listened to them in the store and they're really comfortable and seem to have a nice sound to them...

oe_headphones_bl_lg.jpg

I have always heard that "If you got no hi's and you got no lows, it's got to be Bose". Could just be a dumb rhyme but I have not really heard much good about them.

Again, I dont understand why someone would pay hundreds of dollars on a pair of cans when you can own the Sony V6 (identical consumer version of the MDR 5706), which is likely the exact same pair of headphones the studio engineer used to produce the album. The V6's are a steal $65...or around $90 for the MDRs which give you a gold plated plug and a "Professional" sticker on the side. They are built like tanks, and the only thing you will likely ever need to replace are the earpads (which are notorious for flaking apart over time). If you do need to replace a part, you are provided with a blowout schematic with the corresponding part number for every single screw. Thick double stiching in the headband and comfortable to wear over many hours. The sound is pinpoint accurate with a deep soundstage, and are easily driven by an iPod. Very neutral sounding - which is what you want out of any speaker or headphone. Loud, clean, and great bass response which truly makes it feel like the performer is an inch away from your face. At any rate, they are pretty much the only Sony's worth messing with, IMHO.

When you say "very easily driven by an iPod" does that mean there is more work involved than just plugging it in and hitting play?

I'm really interested in a nice set of headphones and was about to spend $600 on a pair until I saw this post.

When you say "very easily driven by an iPod" does that mean there is more work involved than just plugging it in and hitting play?

I'm really interested in a nice set of headphones and was about to spend $600 on a pair until I saw this post.

No, I think he means that an iPod has a powerful enough audio output to make the headphones work properly.