Sorry if you clicked on in hopes of a discussion about David Bazaan

I just started listening to music primarily with headphones and I find myself enjoying things to a greater level. Has anyone else noticed how much more you pay attention to nuances and lyrics?

Just listened in the past day to Wilco Summerteeth and Buffalo Springfield's Last Time Around.

Wowee Zowee neato!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been primarily a headphones listener for several years -- good studio-quality headphones, not cheap earbuds or whatever. They definitely enhance my enjoyment of music.

They're also the reason I'm a format snob when it comes to lossy digital files.

I do most of my listening with headphones. What started as necessity ended up being preference. Good quality is a must however. AKG k701 through a Channel Island Audio VHP-1 amp is my outfit.

I listen with headphones a good percentage of the time but can't seem to justify dropping more than 30 bucks on something I will inevitably break or lose. I've probably gone through 20 pairs of earbuds in the last decade or so.

I hate that when I burn cds for peeps, there's a good chance they aren't going to be listening to them on headphones. They don't know what they're missing! It's so nice to just sit down and listen to great music sometimes. Most people really just don't spend enough time sprawled out on the floor, staring at the ceiling, letting music penetrate their brains, I think.

I listen to music mostly through iTunes. At some point in my life I want to get a good stereo system, but now isn't the right time for me to do that, both because of cost and because of my living situation. I just got a new laptop, and I splurged and got the high-end sound card. I've been shocked how different and how much better my music has sounded through headphones in the last few days. It's like getting a whole new music collection in a way.

I'm about to turn off the lights and sprawl on the floor to listen to a new CD that I've been waiting for for months. I can't think of a way I'd rather spend the next 70 minutes.

Most of the time I listen to my music on my very nice Harmon Kardon speakers, so it certainly isn't compromising, but I will go for many periods of time where I will listen to an album before bed with my far too expensive studio headphones to really "get" a record and I must say the experience is just so much better. Last few night I went to bed to the new Animal Collective and Antony, very different yes but probably not the most soothing things to go to sleep to lol.

The only thing I find competes with headphones is to sit in my car in some remote place and crank the radio nice and loud, lean back and close my eyes. Good way to preview a new album. That was my approach for the new Animal Collective. One of my favorite musical memories is sitting in my car on a snowy night watching a train go buy and listening to the first Robbie Robertson album. I think that's partly why I like that album so much.

Do you have a good speaker system in your car? Usually cars have a bad speaker system.

The only thing I find competes with headphones is to sit in my car in some remote place and crank the radio nice and loud, lean back and close my eyes. Good way to preview a new album. That was my approach for the new Animal Collective. One of my favorite musical memories is sitting in my car on a snowy night watching a train go buy and listening to the first Robbie Robertson album. I think that's partly why I like that album so much.
Do you have a good speaker system in your car? Usually cars have a bad speaker system.

No, they are pretty crap. My dream is to have a good system. Maybe it's the reverb I like or something. You definitely don't get the nuance like with headphones. But then again, no kids or wife to interrupt.

I was going to ask what kind of awesome speakers you have if you said it was a good sound! :music

I am going to be buying a new pair of headphones to mix music with. Hopefully this weekend. I know I should invest in studio monitors but I am saving up for those and doing research.

Peace

I was going to ask what kind of awesome speakers you have if you said it was a good sound! :music

I am going to be buying a new pair of headphones to mix music with. Hopefully this weekend. I know I should invest in studio monitors but I am saving up for those and doing research.

Peace

Since you are going to be doing all the work anyways, please keep us updated on what you buy. I would love to invest in some good headphones. Or are mixing headphones different than Listening to music headphones?

I go back and forth between headphones and stereo speakers. I find that the nuances and lyrics that people seem to miss has to do with short attention spans and the fact that music is now the soundtrack/background music to the rest of our lives. So few people put on a record, and then sit on their couch, and listen. Without also reading, typing, surfing, working, etc.

Headphones are great and allow for you to pick up different nuances as mentioned above, but I'd say that actively listening, is the reason that you pick up more nuance. You can do that with headphones or stereo speakers.