Sky Blue Sky

I just wanted to get a feel for what people are feeling about Sky Blue Sky? Excuse me for being a new VC poster, but, as a true blue fan I do not understand why people don't understand how great SBS is? I really think it's a great album. As good as anything from any other record. Your thoughts...please?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still hate "What Light" and don't love "Walken," but love the rest of the album.

I agree with you on these two songs and I have one more to add. I know "On and On and On" is a very personal song for Jeff but the fact that the word yeah is used as part of the rhyme scheme at the end of most of the lines bugs me. I know this is Wilco blasphemy and I apologize.

I agree. I love. I actually like it more that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (No hate mail please). Lyrically, gorgeous. And Jeff sounds amazing -- as does the whole band. Impossible Germany still chills. Only song I don't realy like is Leave Me Like You Found Me. I did get sick of One Light, but got over it.

Love air drumming to Walken.

I love it. It is not my favorite of theirs but I love it. There are things about it that I like more than Summerteeth. I would say I like most of the "weak" songs listed above less, but I still enjoy them. Except, I actually think "Leave Me Like You Found Me" is really pretty. It is the perfect song (album?) for driving on a winter morning.

I bet the new one will trump it though. We'll know in a few months.

I still hate "What Light" and don't love "Walken," but love the rest of the album.

I am almost the opposite. I really like Either Way, You Are My Face, Impossible Germany, Walken, What Light, and On and On and On. The middle of the album, while not bad, is the most boring thing Wilco has released... at least that's how I feel.

It is true that it does not hold up as well as the other records, but it is very solid. There are only a couple songs I don't like (Shake it Off, Leave Me) and there are couple that will go down as classics (Face & Germany - and maybe Seeds). The rest are enjoyable.

I sort of OD'ed on this album the summer after it came out, so it's not one of the albums I listen to a lot now. When I do revisit it, though, I always enjoy it. It takes me back to a specific time in my life, a summer that was filled with a lot of big changes, and there are a few songs that will always especially remind me of that.

I sort of OD'ed on this album the summer after it came out, so it's not one of the albums I listen to a lot now. When I do revisit it, though, I always enjoy it. It takes me back to a specific time in my life, a summer that was filled with a lot of big changes, and there are a few songs that will always especially remind me of that.

Almost a complete ditto on that one... Big things afoot that summer/fall, and Sky Blue Sky, from edge to edge, got me through more than I can say. World Party albums used to do that for me, now it seems it's Wilco...

Can't wait to see what they have in store for us this Spring!

SBS is pretty good, but I would put it behind YHF and maybe Summerteeth. They really should have stuck "The Thanks I Get" and "Let's Not Get Carried Away" on it, though - would have nicely balanced out the softer stuff.

I gave SBS frequent repeated spins for a couple months after its release, but now I just cherry-pick songs off it. All the other albums still get repeated listens, but SBS as a whole doesn't hold up for me over time. "Face" and "Germany" are studs and "Either Way," "Seeds," "What Light," and "On and On and On" are solid. (However, I wish artists would come up with a new metaphor for hope other than resorting to "light." ~ Now Ryan Adams is doing it, too.) I like the second half of "Walken," especially live. "Shake it Off" is kind of like "Spiders" in the terms of it can get tedious on the record, but offers opportunity for improvising during live performances. The title track is pedestrian. "Patient" seems a better fit for Tweedy solo. "Hate it Here" has a certain humor to it that makes it okay as a filler (I like an occasional fun song, see "I'm a Wheel."). Alas, "Leave Me Like You Found Me" is overkill on the Whoa-is-Me Trifecta ~ one song too many there.