Radiohead at the grammys...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems the crash was a hallmark of Ringo's beat in 1964.

No. Ringo barely touches his crash cymbal in that song, and when he does, it is in a musical way...to add emphasis to the end of a verse/chorus, or accent the syncopation of the solo section, which he does in unison with the bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNsmrd-aR1c

Compare to Grohl's performance. I don't have a youtube clip, but during the last half of the song (I missed the first half, so maybe he did it all the way through) he hit the crash every four beats (or maybe it was every eight beats) without regard to what was happening in the tune.

Dave Grohl has now played with Jimmy Page/John Paul Jones, Tom Petty, Tony Iommi, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana of course, teamed up with Greg Dulli, Thurston Moore, the list goes on, and now Macca.

And the Strummer tribute with Springsteen, Costello and Van Zandt.

I wonder why Paul and Ringo don't team up occasionally. Maybe there would just be too much hype to deal with.
Paul is an attention hog.....heaven forbid he should allow Ringo any credit for being a Beatle.

LouieB

I don't have a youtube clip, but during the last half of the song (I missed the first half, so maybe he did it all the way through) he hit the crash every four beats (or maybe it was every eight beats) without regard to what was happening in the tune.

I was definitely missing Ringo during that song. Grohl is a great drummer, but he played too hard, and employed too much crash. The song just needed to be played simple and with more subtlety. Another issue I had was with the guitarist, especially the guy playing the fills and solos. Too much flash, not enough musicality.

I was definitely missing Ringo during that song. Grohl is a great drummer, but he played too hard, and employed too much crash. The song just needed to be played simple and with more subtlety. Another issue I had was with the guitarist, especially the guy playing the fills and solos. Too much flash, not enough musicality.

yeah, totally

didn't expect anybody to agree with me on this!

i do love grohl as a powerhouse drummer, but on that song it was a bad fit

For real??

Frealz...

I didn't tape it - but the picture they showed was definitely centered on Mal, towering over Ringo. There's no mistaking him - he's a big guy with thick glasses. Neil was a normal sized dude...

Poor Mal - first he dies by getting shot by LA cops for bradishing an air rifle, then his ashes get lost in the mail on the way to the UK, now he's being substituted for Neil Aspinall on an RIP tribute montage...

Frealz...

I didn't tape it - but the picture they showed was definitely centered on Mal, towering over Ringo. There's no mistaking him - he's a big guy with thick glasses. Neil was a normal sized dude...

Poor Mal - first he dies by getting shot by LA cops for bradishing an air rifle, then his ashes get lost in the mail on the way to the UK, now he's being substituted for Neil Aspinall on an RIP tribute montage...

Along with a foot locker full of his personal items.

Surprised no one has mentioned MIA nearly giving birth on stage.

She was about as pregnant as pregnant gets.

And she really needs to lose the ugly big ass sunglasses.

She has a lovely face. She should show it.

Surprised no one has mentioned MIA nearly giving birth on stage.

She was about as pregnant as pregnant gets.

And she really needs to lose the ugly big ass sunglasses.

She has a lovely face. She should show it.

I could have done without that.

Terrible performance by Radiohead.

I would not go that far, but I was not blown away. Fleetwood Mac still owns the "Best Use of the USC Marching Band in Rock" title.

I really enjoyed the Buddy Guy/B.B. King tribute to Bo Diddley. I just saw them on 2/5, and it was freakin' awesome. That was like a mini-encore for me.

That was great, and John Mayer and Keith Urban more than held their own too.

I really enjoyed the Buddy Guy/B.B. King tribute to Bo Diddley. I just saw them on 2/5, and it was freakin' awesome. That was like a mini-encore for me.

I don't know...i just kinda expected BB to be able to figure out the Bo Diddley beat