Wilco Songs You Sing With Your Kids

I always get a smile on my face when my children (6 and 4) ask me to put on the Choo-Choo Charlie Song (Monday) in the car. When I glance in the rear-view mirrow, I see one playing an air guitar, the other holding a pretend mike, and both of them singing away. It is too funny.

Other songs my kids have requested:

*Jesus, Etc.

*Heavy Metal Drummer

*Hummingbird

*D. Boon

*Strangers

My two year old son's favorite song is Hoodoo Voodoo. He knows a good portion of the lyrics and has specific dance moves he only breaks out for this song.

My two year old son's favorite song is Hoodoo Voodoo. He knows a good portion of the lyrics and has specific dance moves he only breaks out for this song.

I used to sing that song with my kids all of the time. They loved it. Unfortunately, they are teenagers now and wouldn't be caught dead listening to my music.

Well, at least my 2 year old loves to dance to The Swish by The Hold Steady.

Jack

Any excuse to drag out these videos.

Clara Jane, age 2, pontificating on "Candy Floss":

Clara Jane, age 4, singing "Heavy Metal Drummer":

At age five, she'll listen to just about anything by Wilco. Of course, she prefers the upbeat stuff. "I'm the Man Who Loves You", "Hoodoo Voodoo", "Just a Kid" are favorites. And "Candy Floss" and "Heavy Metal Drummer", of course.

Any excuse to drag out these videos.

Clara Jane, age 2, pontificating on "Candy Floss":

Clara Jane, age 4, singing "Heavy Metal Drummer":

At age five, she'll listen to just about anything by Wilco. Of course, she prefers the upbeat stuff. "I'm the Man Who Loves You", "Hoodoo Voodoo", "Just a Kid" are favorites. And "Candy Floss" and "Heavy Metal Drummer", of course.

I wish I had video of one of my daughters at 4 singing "I miss the innocence I've known, playing Kiss covers so beautiful and stoned".

Those were very cute!

My 2 1/2 year old is on her way to Wilco fandom. Her favorites are Outtasite, Jesus Etc, and Calfornia Stars. She also LOVES the whistling on The Ruling Class. At home, she loves it when I sing Magazine Called Sunset, and The Thanks I Get. She's easy to please. My 11 year old is a little pickier but she did ask me to add some Wilco songs to her iTouch so she got extra dessert for a week :)

My 9-years-old loves Heavy Metal Drummer and You Are My Face.

The boy -5 years- adores Spiders in the acoustic version of Jeff solo shows (he prefers JT shows than Wilco ;)

We all sing Impossible Germany in the car (even the guitar solo:so funny!)

The two love and sing Handshake Drugs:they

The girls love all Wilco really but their favorite by far is 'Walken'. Here is an example of their air band abilities

The little one is pretty much solo until the 3 min mark but after that they both go WILD :rock

The also recognize Jeff anywhere. And they think it's craZZZY when their friends tell them they've never HEARD of Wilco :lol

Been thu lately? the bridge is finally fixed.

You cant beat a fat steak at Jackalope.

Not too recently. Actually I barely know Lorain since I am an east sider. Nice to know someone on the west side knows about Wilco.

LouieB

When my daughter was 3 she had a fascination with a live perforamnce clip of You are my Face from Youtube. One day, at the end of the song, she said Mommy - that's silly - books don't fit into phones! So, let's just say she is not quite ready for HMD quite yet... She also thought Jeff's first name was giraffe - "he's not very tall Mommy!"

We have since passed our Wilco wisdom unto our 9 year old niece back east. Last week for show and tell she took the Wilco shirt, badge and CD's we gave her for Christmas and her teacher actually played Just a Kid and all the kids and the teacher got up and danced! I was a very happy Auntie that day!

The girls love all Wilco really but their favorite by far is 'Walken'. Here is an example of their air band abilities
The little one is pretty much solo until the 3 min mark but after that they both go WILD :rock

The also recognize Jeff anywhere. And they think it's craZZZY when their friends tell them they've never HEARD of Wilco :lol

I think you need a new key grip (I little dark) but that was cute!

I think you need a new key grip (I little dark) but that was cute!

Yea, that was my old camera...sorry 'bout that.

I get so distracted by my videos that I always forget to mention - she's obsessed with Wilco's "Austin City Limits" from last year. She watches it at least once a week. Nels mesmerizes her.

• 3 weeks later...

Our little girl loves Hummingbird. I heavily encouraged it after the goosebumps I got at the Asheville show in 2004 when Jeff jumped down into the crowd to sing it directly to the little girl sitting on her dad's shoulders who had requested the song.

Right now my 18-month-old daughter can't get enough of "Wilco the Song." I've taught her to say "Wilco" and as soon as the song is done and she claps, she starts signing "More" and saying "Wilco" over and over.

My son is three and a half now, is as neurotically obsessive about music as his old man, it's a wonderful thing. The Beatles, Wilco and songs from the Backyardigans tv show are still big with him, among many other things.

This is probably going back almost a year ago now. My sister-in-law ended up out of work so we hired her for child care to benefit everyone. So, one morning he asks her for some music, so she grabs one of his cds and puts it on, and he says "no, not kids music", so she shuts it off and puts on some pop-country radio station (I try to not judge my sister-in-law for her music tastes, but it's hard sometimes), and he then turns to her and says "no, daddy's music".

So they go into my office, and look on the cd shelves, and since it's alphabetical, he can reach the wilco cds. He takes out Mermaid Avenue (which is filed under Wilco because it is far more of them than Bragg any day, regardless of how it's written on the case) and tells her this one. Then gets her to skip Walt Whitman's Niece to California Stars because, as he stated, "this is my favorite song".

It was a good day in the house for Dad and Mom. And to be a neurotically proud parent:

02.JPG

My daughter's favorite has always been "Magazine Called Sunset".

That song always reminds me off when my first child was born. There's a bit in the 'I am trying to break your heart' DVD where Jeff is playing with his kids which I always liked. So when I had a son I always thought of that moment. Similarly, there is another bit of that DVD where Jeff's kids are sliding around on the venue floor whilst the band are on-stage soundchecking 'Pieholden Suite'. Always loved that bit too. Back on subject, my boys don't really listen to Wilco.....but stick some 'Eels' on and they go crazy!!

My friends little sister is in love with Walken ("Mom, play walkensong!") and Theologians, which is hilarious to hear a 3 year old say.

She also LOVES Spiders, which is weird

My kids love "Just a Kid" and not just it made the SpongeBob soundtrack. It's a big danmce number for the two year old, especially.

"IATTBYR" they lall ike a lot.

"Love and Mercy" is big with the 8-yr. old.

"Hoodoo Voodoo." What kid or adult can't love that?

"What Light" and "Either Way" are up there, too.

"War on War" yused to bum my 7 and 8 yr. olds out because of the "you have die...."