What shows did you have a chance to go to but didn't?

Why not have 50 variations on a theme? Is that OK with you, ObliviousToMyself? Flick? ;)

For me, hands down it's the 5 nights of Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros in Brooklyn, 2002. Our friend called every night after each show to tell us we needed to come the next night because he was so amazing, but we never made it down. Next time, we said. :no

Golden Smog/KJJ/tons of other people at the 400 Bar, 2 nights in 2003. I knew when tickets went on sale, and could have easily made the drive, but didn't.

At least two M. Ward shows in Madison, back when he was playing places like Cafe Montmartre.

And of course, New Kids on the Block Magic Summer tour.

I was too sick to see Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins a few years ago...

...and then I somehow decided that I didn't want to see Jeff Tweedy (for free!) a month later.

Honorable mentions...Deerhoof (last October...?), Of Montreal (two years ago), and Kraftwerk (4/20!), among others.

I don't have any concert-going regrets. Not even the four times I saw Everclear.

(I don't count when I was dragged to Summerfest to see Britney Spears when I was 13. I never liked her...it was my brother who wanted to see her.)

Shrimp Boat

A friend was in from out-of-town and wanted to go to the blues bars instead.

I figured that, since they were local, I'd get another chance. They broke up before I got that chance. Damnit!

• 2 weeks later...

I really, really regret not seeing Leonard Cohen playing three nights in Dublin last summer. I was away in Italy at the time and was so pissed off about it that it nearly ruined the holiday.

Any number of Grateful Dead shows. I used to look at the tour schedule, and decide what I was gonna be able to afford, get off work for, etc. I might do 7 shows out of a 10 show run, and inevitably the ones I'd miss were the "DUDE THEY BUSTED OUT (fill in amazing song X here) AND THEY KILLED THE WHOLE DAMN NIGHT!".

Moral of the story? You have to do ALL the shows - I mean, wtf, it's only a job! :stunned

Had tickets to see The Decemberists for a "long of it" show that eventually got cancelled. I was seriously bummed out about that one because the first show of the tour the setlist was something like:

The Crane Wife >

The Island

The Bagman's Gambit

The Tain

California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade

Mariner's Revenge Song

E:Echoes (Pink Floyd)

I Was Meant for the Stage

Also, just this weekend I missed seeing Zach Gailifinakis.

Golden Smog/KJJ/tons of other people at the 400 Bar, 2 nights in 2003. I knew when tickets went on sale, and could have easily made the drive, but didn't.

i caught one of those shows (the friday one maybe?). it wasn't the main smog show but i saw tweedy do a 5 or 6 solo acoustic set. amazing show!

One summer I was visiting family in Liverpool and my cousin invited me to go see a band playing in this small venue called the Cavern Club. I told him I didn't feel like it.....

Then a few decades later, in the early summer of 1991, I was invited by a friend that I went to go to school with to go see a small band out of Seattle... unfortunately I was far too busy.

i caught one of those shows (the friday one maybe?). it wasn't the main smog show but i saw tweedy do a 5 or 6 solo acoustic set. amazing show!

I know! Yeah, that was the Friday. I even had a ticket for that night, but had prior plans with a friend in Chicago that I couldn't back out on. It was her last night in town before (ironically) she left for law school in Minneapolis. So here's the stellar ending of that story - we had tickets to see the Autumn Defense open for Andrew Bird at Martyr's. Quite a consolation prize, right? Well. We ate a really bad meal at that northwoods place down the street (is that even still there?), saw the Autumn Defense, and were tired and in pissy moods by then. It was getting late, and my friend had to leave early in the morning. So Andrew Bird was on stage setting up ... and we left. That's right. Red letter f'ing day for me. :no

my cousin was at the back of the line getting us Zeppelin tickets in '77 and missed out by a few people...

mom and dad wouldn't let me go see Black Sabbath/Van Halen in '78... "too satanic" and again with Sabbath in '80...

mom and dad wouldn't let me and my brother drive to Wichita Falls in '83 to see The Clash. at least they let us drive to Dallas a few months later to see Bowie...

i chose seeing Heart over Dire Straits in '85... "great" choice...

felt ill in '94 the night Nirvana was in town, so i didn't go... another "great" choice...

Bowie played a small club in Atlanta in the late '90s. I missed that one.

I missed two chances to see Mike Watt with Nels (but I saw them together two other times, so that's not an enormous tragedy).

I missed all but the last 30 seconds of Firehose's set opening for the Beastie Boys on the Check Your Head tour. I was busy drinking beer in the parking lot, assuming I was missing the first band (Basehead...thankfully, I did miss them).

I passed on the Allmans for the last several years. I'm hoping to remedy that this year.

I stupidly passed on several chances to see Yes when they had Rick Wakeman in the lineup. Hopefully there'll be one (or more) last opportunity for that.

Soundgarden in a 1,000 seater. I was even offered a free ticket if I'd be the driver.

A good friend offered me a ticket for the Greatful Dead -- summer of 1994. I wasn't into the Dead, so I declined. My friend died later that year.

To be honest, you didn't miss much. It's a pretty common sentiment that the '94 tour was possibly the worst the Dead ever played.

Sorry about your friend, though.

My dad turned down tickets to the Beatles in Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium and I have an ex-boss who stayed at home to study when the Sex Pistols played in Atlanta in 78 or so. Personally, I went to just about any show I've ever had the chance to go to.