Pedal Steel Guitars

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most psychedelic use of the pedal steel: Garcia on NRPS's "Dirty Business".

I also love JG on Crosby's "Laughing". Bee-yoo-tee-ful.

Most psychedelic use of the pedal steel: Garcia on NRPS's "Dirty Business".

Holy crap I was gonna list "Dirty Business" as it was the first tune that usually pops into my head for full-on pedal steel euphoria, however I always thought it was cage on that. Wow.

ed. side note: Cage told me once that he taught Garcia how to play pedal steel. I kind of smirked as I thought Garcia pre-dated him on it. Do you know anything on this?

The pedal steel player in the Flying Burrito Brothers...who apparently is the guy you've already mentioned, "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow. See "Christine's Tune" for the most devilish pedal steel work ever.

:worship

Not on an album but one of the best uses of a pedal steel I saw was by The Verve on tour in 1997 or so. It was pretty cool sounding hearing some of those Urban Hymns tunes with a crazy, distorted pedal steel as part of the band.

Holy crap I was gonna list "Dirty Business" as it was the first tune that usually pops into my head for full-on pedal steel euphoria, however I always thought it was cage on that. Wow.

ed. side note: Cage told me once that he taught Garcia how to play pedal steel. I kind of smirked as I thought Garcia pre-dated him on it. Do you know anything on this?

I don't know if he taught Jerry to play (never heard that) but he did start long before JG did. He was a highly regarded player who was working with Anne Murray (believe it or not!) when NRPS stole him away. Jerry didn't try the instrument until him and Marmaduke started doing coffeehouse gigs as a duo, which eventually turned into NRPS (JG, Phil, Mick, McDuke & Nelson).

"Pride of Cucamonga" still getiing ZERO love? C'mon JG saved the studio version, LOL.

Heck, it's the only good thing about the song.

I dig Jon Graboff's work. Also, Bruce Kaphan has added some steel to TBC's albums in the past,

may be him on "Wiser Time".

Also, Mark Van Allen of Blueground UnderGRASS (as well a ton of studio work for people)

is a great one and I get to see Mark, The Rev and the boyz again this weekend. YeeHaw !

Any you NW Ga, SE Tn, NE Al, etc folks may want to look into the link below for a festival this weekend.

I'll be there, never miss a Cherokee Fram/T-Dawg Production.

Keel Family Function

I'm in the process of mixing a song that has some pedal steel. Love that sound.

As to OTHER favorites:

Anything by Hank Williams, Sr.

"Teach Your Children" - CSNY (pedal steel by Jerry Garcia)

and other stuff...

no sense in lovin - tupelo

cold roses had some great playing on it too, cindy cashdollar ripped it up all over that record.

also, old hat from the new ben kweller