Now Playing: June 2009

How is that?

I know people who rave about Doherty, but I've never check out anything of his. I feel like this album should appeal to me, though. Any good?

I like it. I've never checked out anything of his before either. I listened to it in the store and decided to get it. Very much the British folk/rock/pop thing. Some of it reminds me of listening to Ray Davies/Kinks stuff.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I've never checked out anything of his before either. I listened to it in the store and decided to get it. Very much the British folk/rock/pop thing. Some of it reminds me of listening to Ray Davies/Kinks stuff.

Hmm.

I'm a pretty big Kinks/Ray Davies fan, so I may have to check this out.

And I'm currently hardcore into British singers, so I'll give it a listen sometime.

guess i haven't seen the ABC coverage thing (is that just the Pitchfork/ABC News web special type deal that Bon Iver was on a year or so ago?). I just meant that David Longstreth/Dirty Projectors have always gotten pretty great reviews and critical acclaim from the stuff i've read/seen in the past.

Yeah, I saw it on the web. I've seen quite a few of those (Apples in Stereo/Robert Bobert, Bon Iver, etc.).

But really, if something gets hyped around here or mentioned a lot, I'll give it a listen at least. The record has been getting a lot of heat on the board, so I saw it used for a $7 and I didn't ask any questions. I've wasted $7 a whole lot worse than trying out something new. Some stuff that the VC boards have turned me on to are now some of my favorite albums (Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, etc.).

I'll have to check out the Dirty Projectors other stuff eventually.

NP:

51wpGavdcqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

gotcha.

it's certainly an album i would be hesitant to recommend to just ANYONE, no question there. much of Dirty Projectors music is essentially chamber music at it's core, but it's got plenty of pop sensibilities to make it accessible to a fairly wide range audience too.

i adore that Pains record so much... it's like everything that was great about early 90's brit rock/pop mixed with some Sonic Youth/noise rock.

my only complaint is i wish the production was louder/more crisp, it took me a bit to get into the album as a result.

i listened to that last week. i found it kinda boring. love the doc ellis song though.

I just picked it up today. I listened to the 3 downloaded bonus tracks, but never got around to the actual CD. I wasn't too wowed by the Peace Queer e.p., but I'm a big enough Todd fan that I have to buy everything. I guess I better lower my expectations when I pop this in the player tomorrow.

Currently got Born To Run racing round me brain at the moment having just seen a poster with 'Tramps Like Us' plastered across it in preparation for a tribute night tonight...

Anyway, that aside, this morning I have been mostly listening to Okkervil River 'Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See'...damn, I wish this computer was better so I could siplay the album cover, I love it.

415cofK00kL._SL500_AA240_.jpg61CjthTAwtL._SL500_AA240_.jpge26673gs7q9.jpg

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted (Luxe & Redux)

Dogbowl - Flan

Currently got Born To Run racing round me brain at the moment having just seen a poster with 'Tramps Like Us' plastered across it in preparation for a tribute night tonight...

Anyway, that aside, this morning I have been mostly listening to Okkervil River 'Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See'...damn, I wish this computer was better so I could siplay the album cover, I love it.

Yay, you just reminded me that Okkervil River is opening for Wilco on July 3rd! Can't wait.

Anyways, this one:

41NGHT0452L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Yay, you just reminded me that Okkervil River is opening for Wilco on July 3rd! Can't wait.

Aaarrgghh!! Why don't shows like that happen on these shores? I'm missing MVB and Wilco too.. :(

Chicken2.JPG

rough mixes.

And, while I do keep hearing things to fix, it doesn't stop sounding really, really damn good.

I can't wait to finish this mother.