Michael Jackson..RIP

Is that the CNN ghost footage, Latoya and her father talking about how Michael was murdered, the A&E Jackson Family Reality Show, or Joe talking about the new Jackson Three. OR something else.

None of the above, it's the footage from the Pepsi commercial shoot that went horribly awry.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find that Pepsi footage any harder to watch now that he's dead. It's still pretty funny to me how it took a while for anyone, including Michael, to realize his head was on fire. Plus the fact that it just brings up the old "you play with fire, you might get burned" cliche. If you're putting yourself in an intricately timed situation with pyrotechnics, shit could very easily go wrong.

I see the painkiller/surgery connection here, but I'm not looking forward to every little thing in his career being reevaluated in the context of MJ dying.

what was too much about it? it was far from the circus i thought it would be. the guy sold over 100 million albums, he was one of the most popular entertainers to ever live. by comparison, wilco's best album has sold 650,000 copies. thriller sold 65 million copies. his fans absolutely loved him - i thought it was a very fitting service that paid respects to his uniqueness and his kind heart. we'll never see another entertainer as popular as he was ever again. it was a very fitting tribute to a legend, and a deserved one after the tortuous life he lived being constantly demonized, mocked and judged.

over 100 million albums? try 750+ million (and that's pre-Soundscan estimates, it very well could be higher)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#500_million_to_999_million_records

I didn't find that Pepsi footage any harder to watch now that he's dead. It's still pretty funny to me how it took a while for anyone, including Michael, to realize his head was on fire. Plus the fact that it just brings up the old "you play with fire, you might get burned" cliche. If you're putting yourself in an intricately timed situation with pyrotechnics, shit could very easily go wrong.

I see the painkiller/surgery connection here, but I'm not looking forward to every little thing in his career being reevaluated in the context of MJ dying.

I guess I see MJ of my youth dying in this vid, you know? Maybe he was weird and prone to addictions before the commercial shoot, but this event seems to have triggered the transformation from a really talented guy with what would best be described as a few eccentricities to a really weird mofo who may possibly have been a pedophile to boot. That may be grossly inaccurate or even wrong, but that's the emotional impact seeing this vid has on me.

I guess I see MJ of my youth dying in this vid, you know? Maybe he was weird and prone to addictions before the commercial shoot, but this event seems to have triggered the transformation from a really talented guy with what would best be described as a few eccentricities to a really weird mofo who may possibly have been a pedophile to boot. That may be grossly inaccurate or even wrong, but that's the emotional impact seeing this vid has on me.

I didn't have quite that strong of a reaction. Watching this did make me feel a bit queezy, though. Maybe the only time I felt sorry for the man. I did jury duty on a trial that involved 3rd degree burns. It may be worse than death.

It's interesting how a few years make a difference. The only thing I recall about that was people and comedians making fun of him for being effeminate and that his hair caught on fire. I think the only people I knew who were into him by then were people into dance music, people who were into what was popular, and people who liked him due to the videos he made. As I have said before, to me he was a something out of a cartoon (so to speak) that I use to watch as a kid.

I feel bad for his kids, who will now be in more of a spotlight than they already were.

I think the only people I knew who were into him by then were people into dance music,

I always thought Beat It was essentially a rock song. It even has Eddie Van Halen on guitar.

Did they feel that way about Prince, too? It wasn't really that cut and dry back then.

When I was in H.S., mid 80s, Prince was a wierdo who was admired for all the hot poontang he got. Michael was a wierdo who tried to buy the Elephant Man's bones. Advantage Prince.

Did they feel that way about Prince, too? It wasn't really that cut and dry back then.

The sort of people I knew were really only into hard rock, metal, or bands from the 60s. I am talking 1980-1984. And I grew up in a pretty rural setting, were there very few non-white people. Now, I am not speaking for everyone who I went to school with, mainly just the sort of people I knew.

There were definitely people from that era who hated dance music, especially disco. This loveable yet obnoxious Chicago area talk-radio personality comes to mind:

DISCO%20DEMOLITION%20DISC%20JOCKEY%20STEVE%20DAHL%20IN%201979.jpg

I think I would take disco over that guy six days a week.

I've been thinking with all this recent talk by some about MJ being the greatest musical entertainer, that Prince for my money had him beat when they were both at their peaks in the 80s. Prince was arguably the stronger songwriter; the better musician (played 20+ instruments vs. Michael's 0); good dancer, put on killer concerts, more eclectic musically... MJ was a good singer, dancer, and melody writer but for the whole musical package Prince had him beat. I think MJ probably knew that, after all, he named two of his kids Prince.

I think MJ probably knew that, after all, he named two of his kids Prince.

I thought that was due to Michael being the "King of Pop", and his sons were "heirs" to his "Pop Throne".

I thought that was due to Michael being the "King of Pop", and his sons were "heirs" to his "Pop Throne".

Yeah, I wasn't being serious with the reason behind the names... but you never know.

First off, can we stop calling him MJ? MJ to me is and always will be Michael Jordan. Michael Jackson is Michael Jackson or Jacko, but never MJ.

There were definitely people from that era who hated dance music, especially disco. This loveable yet obnoxious Chicago area talk-radio personality comes to mind:

DISCO%20DEMOLITION%20DISC%20JOCKEY%20STEVE%20DAHL%20IN%201979.jpg

30th anniversary of Disco Demolition was just the other day. I know the Sox had to forfeit the second game, but at least it got those hideous uniforms off the field.

Steve Dahl is awesome.

Seconded. I started listening to him when he was on WDAI way back in the begining of his Chicago stint.