• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportswriters do not vote for Gold Glove. The league managers do. I sincerely doubt fellas like Charlie Manuel and Lou Piniella are studying stats that only fantasy-leaguers value. They vote on what they see and reputation, of which Scott Rolen has a damn great one. Kouzmanoff may have only three errors, but it's possible that he's statuesque at the hot corner, grabbing only what's in arm's reach. I don't know. I haven't seen a Padres game since the day Tony Gwynn retired.

That's the whole point of defensive metrics--trying to measure that sort of thing. Because errors are a lousy measure of defense. UZR has nothing to do with fantasy baseball. I have not seen much of either player this year, but UZR suggests that they have both been above-average and non-elite. I have a hard time imagining that Scott Rolen would still be an elite defender after all of the injuries he's had over the years.

I like that people who don't like using stats always bring up fantasy baseball when discussing anything remotely sabermetrical, when fantasy baseball stats (HR, RBI, SB, AVG, R, W, ERA, S, K) are generally ones that sabermetric minded people detest.

I think managers aren't really paying great attention to defensive players around the league. Fredi Gonzalez doesn't get to see anyone from 2/3 of the AL and only sees the teams out of his division 6 times per year at most. How is he to be considered some kind of expert?

I like that people who don't like using stats always bring up fantasy baseball when discussing anything remotely sabermetrical, when fantasy baseball stats (HR, RBI, SB, AVG, R, W, ERA, S, K) are generally ones that sabermetric minded people detest.

I think managers aren't really paying great attention to defensive players around the league. Fredi Gonzalez doesn't get to see anyone from 2/3 of the AL and only sees the teams out of his division 6 times per year at most. How is he to be considered some kind of expert?

A manager can only vote on his own league.

Palmiero was a fine defender, who had been shorted throughout the years. They gave him a freebie.

Rolen has had left shoulder injuries, which hasn't hurt as much as a right shoulder would. He's more like Ripken was in that he positions himself pitch to pitch, reducing the importance of range. I have seen him play this year. Though aging and battered, he's still better than most.

AL will most likely give 3B GG to Inge. He's had some hype this year for defense. The NL will probably award it to Zimmerman and most likely it will be for all around play as opposed to strictly defense.

All I wanted to know was if Rolen was eligible to win it in both leagues because nobody stands out in the NL and he played most of the season in the AL.

You once referred to traditional scouting as "old timey." No sport will ever replace visual and personal scouting with computerized and numerical reports. Any sport that does is doomed. Sabermetrics are used as a singular tool in some team's developmental philosphy, but only as a reference source. There is nothing better than watching a player repeatedly and interacting with him. That's how teams and managers determine their drafts, rosters and acquisitions. Same is true for these types of awards.

Has this bothered you all day? Seriously? Dude, it's the weekend!

Bothered me all day? ok.

And also, you just justified giving an award for defensive excellence to a guy who didn't even play 1/5 of his games at that position (or any) because he had been good in other years. That's precisely why that award is ridiculous. It's based on reputation and offense and you said as much re: Zimmerman and yet you don't think this award is pointless?

Bothered me all day? ok.

And also, you just justified giving an award for defensive excellence to a guy who didn't even play 1/5 of his games at that position (or any) because he had been good in other years. That's precisely why that award is ridiculous. It's based on reputation and offense and you said as much re: Zimmerman and yet you don't think this award is pointless?

I never defended (Good pun. Right?) the Gold Glove Award or the process. I just stated what happened at the time based on interviews that I remember from certain managers at the time. I know it's flawed and inconsistent. Stats may be helpful in the process, but so long as managers vote, they're going to go by reputation and memories of spefic plays they've witnessed. I'd rather have advance scouts or players vote on the GG, but it's not up to us. If you really want it changed, by all means call your congressman.

The award is just an award, a trinket, and most are deserving of its intended purpose.

When I saw the story about the Padres making a DVD to promote a player for an award, I just got to thinking about who his competition might be. I really didn't have an answer until I thought of Rolen. I was simply curious about the possibility of a traded player being able to win a Gold Glove in both leagues in the same season or even the NL GG for two months of service (or the AL GG when he was no longer in the AL). It would be an exceptional situation, kind of like Joel Youngblood playing for two different teams in the same game when he was traded during said game in 1982.

Dude, all I did is ask a question seeking an answer of eligibility. The question had no concern for qualification of merit for the award nor reliabilty of the process determining the winners of the GG. I'm only curious about Scott Rolen's specific situation. I don't actually care if he wins. I wouldn't care if Jorge Cantu wins it. It's irrelevant to my singular question.

espns in-game box score for Twins home games always lists the wind as "-1".

Can wind exist as a negative? Vacuum effect? Physics majors?

Anyone?

I think it has something to do with the fact the Metrodome staff blows the air out when the Twins are up to bat and blows the air in when the other team is up to bat.

Needless to say the Metrodome is the worst baseball stadium in history. Thank god it is going away. Go Target Field!

Jesus the Rockies are streaky. 2 games behind the dodgers. They beat the crappy teams and lose to the good teams so I'm not that excited but they are making it interesting.

There's a rumor going around our house that the Giants have sold Eugenio Velez's soul to the devil. It's possible, right?

This is why I'm so happy FJM is taking over Deadspin today:

"It's a bad day for the music industry, or for anybody," Cody Ross of the Marlins said after his team's game. "It's a sad day. He lived a good life — he made a lot of money and had some kids. Your heart goes out to his family.

And the award for most diplomatic eulogizing of a man who probably diddled some children goes to…Cody Ross! Florida Marlins!

"He made a lot of money and had some kids." Man, you just hate to see a guy like that leave before his time. Heaven got one of its angels back.

Welcome back.

Is this an in-game photo?

It was a game from like August of 2007 between the Nats and Marlins. Neither team was any good, and it was a noon start on a wednesday. Everyone made a huge deal about it, but those people obviously don't know anything about Miami in August.