2010 NW US/Trans Canada tour announcement coming soon

OMG THEY ADDED VICTORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feb 12th!

Happily eating my words earlier in the thread.... :w00t :w00t :w00t :w00t

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. :D

I'm so glad to see "Mile 0" is finally getting some love. Now that's a real Trans Canada tour.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious how they intend on getting to Vancouver for the show the next day -- surely all ferries are booked, especially with the buses they'd need to accommodate? Or do Wilco have ways of making things happen...

Given their invitation to an official Olympic concert, I'm sure they will get their equipment on the ferry rides they need. As for the band, float plane sounds more likely....

Aaagh, I can't believe how conflicted I feel. I don't think I can reasonably postpone moving to Barcelona another month and not hate myself, but I've been waiting so freakin long for Wilco to come to Victoria. Then again, I've seen them four times, and what if it was somehow cancelled? It would have to be the most amazing show ever to make that extra month worthwhile... GAH.

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. :D

I'm so glad to see "Mile 0" is finally getting some love. Now that's a real Trans Canada tour.

Glad the West is feeling the love - but as I stated before - noone ever goes to Newfoundland... sad really... Still not a full Trans-Canada tour in my eyes...

Aaagh, I can't believe how conflicted I feel. I don't think I can reasonably postpone moving to Barcelona another month and not hate myself, but I've been waiting so freakin long for Wilco to come to Victoria. Then again, I've seen them four times, and what if it was somehow cancelled? It would have to be the most amazing show ever to make that extra month worthwhile... GAH.

It's hard to feel too sorry for you if the other alternative is Barcelona! pirate.gif Happy Halloween!

Glad the West is feeling the love - but as I stated before - noone ever goes to Newfoundland... sad really... Still not a full Trans-Canada tour in my eyes...

True. As far as I can remember, the White Stripes are the only band to visit every Province and Territory on a single tour. Still, you've got to give Wilco credit for crossing the country in February. Brrr.

The Grizzly Bear reference has since been removed from the Schnitzer website (portland) Not sure who is opening anymore.

I'd be very surprised if it is Grizzly Bear. Seattle sold out. The question is now whether we do Victoria and then try and go to Vancouver for the free show. Problem being that because of the Winter Olympics that trying to stay in VAncouver on Saturday night will be nigh impossible. Dear listeners, any suggestions on how to bum a coach for the night.

I'd be very surprised if it is Grizzly Bear. Seattle sold out. The question is now whether we do Victoria and then try and go to Vancouver for the free show. Problem being that because of the Winter Olympics that trying to stay in VAncouver on Saturday night will be nigh impossible. Dear listeners, any suggestions on how to bum a coach for the night.

There are still very good deals on hotels in Victoria, considering the Olympics are not far away. Also, it has my favorite microbrew/restaurant on the planet - Spinnakers. Forget about Vancouver, everybody's buddy wants a couch then, unless you have a really, really good friend there. My contacts there are overwhelmed by all the 'friends' coming out of the woodwork who need a couch. And besides, the show in Victoria will probably blow away the more limited set they will be confined to in Vancouver. How many other bands are playing for the free show? Lots, I expect. Plus all the yeah hoos in the crowd who don't give a rip about Wilco....

True. As far as I can remember, the White Stripes are the only band to visit every Province and Territory on a single tour. Still, you've got to give Wilco credit for crossing the country in February. Brrr.

Didn't they play only one note though?

Pearl Jam ended their Cross-Canada tour a few years ago with 2 shows in St. John's, which was quite surprising. Wilco played in Corner Brook back in 1997(?) but unfortunatley have not been back since. It sucks because I have hooked all my family back in Newfoundland on to them...

There are still very good deals on hotels in Victoria, considering the Olympics are not far away. Also, it has my favorite microbrew/restaurant on the planet - Spinnakers. Forget about Vancouver, everybody's buddy wants a couch then, unless you have a really, really good friend there. My contacts there are overwhelmed by all the 'friends' coming out of the woodwork who need a couch. And besides, the show in Victoria will probably blow away the more limited set they will be confined to in Vancouver. How many other bands are playing for the free show? Lots, I expect. Plus all the yeah hoos in the crowd who don't give a rip about Wilco....

Thanks for the tip on Victoria. Hotel lined up there - hopefully tickets later today. Looks like it's a smallish, intimate venue with potentially great acoustics. Any idea of how easy it is to go from the Ferry Terminal in B.C. (Tsawwassen) to downtown Vancouver?

Maybe, the popularity of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver is inevitable given Canadians love for Winter Sports but what a rip off for ordinary folks. We have some tickets for a hockey game the following weekend which doesn't feature a big nation and they were still $200 US each. Hotels anywhere close to Vancouver are exorbitant and the tickets for the choice events were only available in the US as part of an accommodation package where the total price was in the thousands of dollars. I know friends who are letting their one bedroom condo in downtown Vancouver for $12k Canadian for ten days. I know that it will probably be just as good on the TV but I had this ill-founded, romantic notion we could go up for one weekend for a once-in-a-lifetime type experience and while expensive, it wouldn't mean we had to re-mortgage the house. So much for that.

If you're not driving, transportation between Victoria and Vancouver is pretty simple. Use the PCL bus: http://www.pacificcoach.com/ it'll get you back and forth, downtown to downtown, comfortably and for a reasonable price. We're a bit jaded here, but the scenery on the 90 minutes ferry trip is really nice.

The Royal Theatre is a standard early-20th century room (1,400 capacity, main floor and balcony) with some fairly decent acoustic and interior upgrades in recent years. Two bars. It's located right downtown. I've seen Band of Horses (sold out toward the day of the show) and Beck (sold out quickly) there in the past year. The Royal can feel a little proper and civilized - it ain't no club - but a lot depends on the mood of the crowd. Also, the staff are unionized and are paid accordingly so be prompt - the shows always start on time.

As for the Vancouver Olympics - I wouldn't give up on accommodation options just yet. I think that as February approaches you'll see prices come down. Tourism, especially from the U.S., has really been down in the past year, so there will probably be weaker demand compared to better economic times.

Nice to see some Hamiltonians come out of the closet. I've lived out there for 8 yrs now. My time is split between Toronto (work) and Dundas (kids) these days. I'll definitely be there at HPT, wouldn't miss it for anything. My daughter has performed on that stage a bunch of times, I like the venue a lot. Will have to look for tix in the new year, I'm too broke right now.

Is this the band's first ever show in The Hammer?

Victoria presale -- 2nd row center. Mmmm yes...I think that will do. :w00t

Me too! I got BB 15/16, right between Jeff and Nels!

After much soul-searching, delaying leaving for a month is probably a wise decision for me regardless... and now I get to see Wilco in Victoria!

If you're not driving, transportation between Victoria and Vancouver is pretty simple. Use the PCL bus: http://www.pacificcoach.com/ it'll get you back and forth, downtown to downtown, comfortably and for a reasonable price. We're a bit jaded here, but the scenery on the 90 minutes ferry trip is really nice.

The Royal Theatre is a standard early-20th century room (1,400 capacity, main floor and balcony) with some fairly decent acoustic and interior upgrades in recent years. Two bars. It's located right downtown. I've seen Band of Horses (sold out toward the day of the show) and Beck (sold out quickly) there in the past year. The Royal can feel a little proper and civilized - it ain't no club - but a lot depends on the mood of the crowd. Also, the staff are unionized and are paid accordingly so be prompt - the shows always start on time.

As for the Vancouver Olympics - I wouldn't give up on accommodation options just yet. I think that as February approaches you'll see prices come down. Tourism, especially from the U.S., has really been down in the past year, so there will probably be weaker demand compared to better economic times.

Thanks a lot for the tip on the bus and all the information. I think the hotel stay might go from one night to two or three and we'll see if we can sell our tkts for the following weekend and take in an event or two and the outdoors Wilco show on the 13th. A couple of good books for all the ferries and buses and we are set.

I reckon that the Vancouver show could be fantastic or terrible. 20,000 Canadians and others full of the Olympic spirit (and probably lots of beer, spirits and a wee bit of ganga) could make for a memorable show one way or the other. Stoked for both the Paramount and the Royal Theatre. I have always promised myself I'd see Wilco on consecutive dates and it looks like 2010 is the year I will manage it.

Me too! I got BB 15/16, right between Jeff and Nels!

After much soul-searching, delaying leaving for a month is probably a wise decision for me regardless... and now I get to see Wilco in Victoria!

I'm wasn't trying to give you too much grief about the two good choices of Barcelona or Wilco. We just booked the Victoria Clipper and a place for the night, so see ya there!

And besides, the show in Victoria will probably blow away the more limited set they will be confined to in Vancouver. How many other bands are playing for the free show? Lots, I expect. Plus all the yeah hoos in the crowd who don't give a rip about Wilco....

Picked up tix for Victoria this morning and will also be seeing the band in Hamilton. The Vancouver Olympic show is now sort of icing on the cake. Haven't decided if we'll actually attend. Leaning towards listening from the seawall on our side of False Creek (we live literally "up the creek" from the venue) with a few beveridges to keep warm.

W(TF), I have a second pair of tix for the Hammer show. If you're interested pls send me a PM. I was going to post them under "HTFL" closer to the date of the show.

Maybe, the popularity of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver is inevitable given Canadians love for Winter Sports but what a rip off for ordinary folks. ....... I had this ill-founded, romantic notion we could go up for one weekend for a once-in-a-lifetime type experience and while expensive, it wouldn't mean we had to re-mortgage the house. So much for that.

I too had this romantic vision of at least attending a curling event, if not ski jumping. Then I saw what the ski jumping tickets cost ($2K, I think), if you were lucky enough to get them, and the curling tickets weren't that much cheaper. I'm out.....

I am hoping some of that Olympic spirit carries across the water to Victoria. It should be a kick - you Victorians have a fun city there. Now what was that amazing Indian place I ate at a few years ago - it was east of downtown, on Fort or Pandora? Suggestions for good Indian food in Victoria are appreciated.

I had to settle for 6th row center thumbup.gif . (don't forget, there is an AA,BB row, so row B is row 4!cheers.gif

I said 2nd row, not row B. ;)

It looks like the Wilco show @ the Olympics is a full Wilco show, as it's advertised as being from 7-11pm (which shoots down any hopes I have of getting back to the island that night), but I suppose wandering around for 6 hours until the first bus out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...(if I can't find accommodations, that is)