Books That Suck!

List some books that suck!

I got sucked into the Arthur C Clarke "Rendezvous With Rama" series and really enjoyed it until I got to "Bright Messengers" which is where Clarke stopped being a part of it and Gentry Lee did the writing all by his lonesome. "Bright Messengers" was the crappiest book I've ever read, absolute drivel. What is the crappiest book you've ever read?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List some books that suck!

I got sucked into the Arthur C Clarke "Rendezvous With Rama" series and really enjoyed it until I got to "Bright Messengers" which is where Clarke stopped being a part of it and Gentry Lee did the writing all by his lonesome. "Bright Messengers" was the crappiest book I've ever read, absolute drivel. What is the crappiest book you've ever read?

ok-computer.jpg

This one is a fucking disaster.

--Mike

I rarely get through bad books, but I think the most dissapointed I've ever been in a book was Confederacy of Dunces.

Maybe I was too young when I read it (like 9th grade), but I despised everything about that book.

This is one of the worst books I've ever read:

51EQAHFVD6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The story is fairly compelling, but the writing is horrid. Not only is Brown an awful writer, but his editor is obviously an idiot.

I read the opening chapter and then duct taped the book shut. No I didn't, but it was painful to read so I stopped.

^^^ I quite liked Confederacy of Dunces.

Someone gave me this one to read many years back:

celestine_prophecy_lrg.gif

I think I got about 5 pages in before I had to put it down. The writing was so awful I couldn't take it anymore.

In addition to Da Vinci Code and Beloved, I'll add Moby Dick.

Maybe it's the fact that I had it crammed down my throat 3 times during high school/college and never once made it all the way through it. Thanks SparkNotes for all your help in getting through such a dry, dry book.

This is one of the worst books I've ever read:

51EQAHFVD6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The story is fairly compelling, but the writing is horrid. Not only is Brown an awful writer, but his editor is obviously an idiot.

You got that right. I spent the entire first chapter rewriting it as I went. Then somehow I got into the story and the horrid writing didn't seem to matter as much. Luckily it didn't take too long to read, because the writing never got better and the story was preposterous anyway.

LouieB

I'll add Moby Dick.

Moby Dick isn't really a bad book, it just shouldn't be taught to high school kids. It has very little relevance any more. But in fact it is a very good book for adults. I enjoyed AS an adult, but not as a kid.

naked-lunch-book-cover.jpg

Whats wrong with Naked Lunch. Not for the uninitiated or squeemish for sure.

LouieB

I actually kind of liked Beloved, though I couldn't tell you why. :blush It was assigned in college, and I was surprised that I enjoyed it.

It's no mystery to me why people hate it, however.

I actually kind of liked Beloved, though I couldn't tell you why. :blush It was assigned in college, and I was surprised that I enjoyed it.

I tried to read Beloved and couldn't get into it. I thought the problem was me. I guess maybe not.

I hated, and never finished:

9781400095469.jpg

I've met the author and have enjoyed other things she's written, but this one wasn't for me. Much of my aversion stems from the long-ass names she forces you to deal with. It's a lot to ask of one's readers, and I just wasn't up to the task. (See this excerpt for an idea of what I'm talking about, though the names in this snippet are pretty tame compared to those in much of the book.)

I hated:

Saturday by Ian McEwan

I really recall liking that one quite a bit.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (Couldn't get past the first few chapters)

Now, I'm right there with you on this one. I can't follow Eggers at all.

I think one of the worst books I've read, and probably the last bad read I forced my way through out of pure stubbornness was Stephen Kings "From a Buick 8".

I'm with you cryptique. I read it in college (assigned) and the discussions in the literacy group were pretty decent. There's a lot going on in that book and I came to like the style of how she lays the story out.

Da Vinci Code was decent for a non-thinking read. The writing is weak but the story was decent.

Moby Dick was another college-assigned book that I cam to appreciate with the aid of discussion. I would never have read that monster on my own. I've read it since college, too, and liked it.

Confederacy of Dunces I've attempted 3-4 times and can't get into it for whatever reason.

A recent book I had to bag was The Mermaid's Chair that was recommended to me. Wouldn't say it sucked but not my bag.

I'll second Naked Lunch, too. I understand what Burroughs is going for but it still does not make it an enjoyable read for me.