Books That Suck!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also the bible of many school administrators--it's one of the latest shiny, trendy things to worship and mine for half-assed initiatives.

Funny you said that. My mom was on the local school board when she gave it to me to read. She then had the whole school administration read it, or maybe they read it first.

Also, I HATED Great Expectations.

I forgot to add this one to my list. I actually like other books of his that I've read, but just couldn't even finish this one.

The Time-Traveler's Wife.

I was so mad at what a weak female character Clare was. She has no personality and her entire existence revolves around waiting for Henry to come back to her. Even in the book's title, her identity is created in relation to him. It was very disappointing, coming from a female author.

I also found it very distracting how she constantly name-dropped Chicago locations, and I couldn't tell if that was because I knew nearly everywhere she was talking about or if it would be distracting to anyone regardless of their familiarity with the places.

I don't think we can be friends.

perhaps these aren't books that suck, but they are books i hated:

--jane austen: sense & sensibility

--emily bronte: wuthering heights

Wuthering Heights is one of my all time favorite books and I love everything Jane Austen has ever written...

Wow, "hated?" I've read this book 4-5 times and think it's one of the best books I've ever read. The language is rich and the imagery is very well crafteed. To each his own, and all. Love the writing in this book.

I don't know if I even finished that book. I've found that if I put the book down when I realize that I don't like it, sometimes I can wait a couple of years and try again with a much different opinion of the book. I still have this one on my shelf waiting for the right time to pick it back up. I did the same thing with A Prayer For Owen Meany and that turned out to be one of my favorite books. I'll try not to disappoint you next time :lol

I have to disagree with those who have put "On the Road" on here. I had to read it twice to "get" it and its a book that keeps growing on me.

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"

(Hopefully the book didn't turn you off Kerouac completely either. I think "Dharma Bums", also written by him, may be my favorite book)

:thumbup

The thing with On The Road is the cadence of the story. For me, at least. It took me two tries, as well, to appreciate the book. It's obviously regarded as the portal book for the Beats and I think it does a great job of capturing the era in which he writes. I like it as a fairly uncomplicated and simple tale of America/dreams/etc. and for it's commentary on friendships and free-wheeling times.

I don't know if I even finished that book. I've found that if I put the book down when I realize that I don't like it, sometimes I can wait a couple of years and try again with a much different opinion of the book. I still have this one on my shelf waiting for the right time to pick it back up. I did the same thing with A Prayer For Owen Meany and that turned out to be one of my favorite books. I'll try not to disappoint you next time :lol

Oh no disappointment at all. We can't all agree on the same books, of course. I find it amusing that one man's treasure is another man's trash. I like that, actually.

I could watch Kate Winslett read from the list of contents on the back of a paint can, for hours on end, and be happy.

yes.

as to On The Road, that book really changed my life freshman year of college. I imagine that it would not do much for me now. At the time it helped me to jump out of my shell of perspective and insecurity and decide to live life--just lit a fire under my ass to experience some things. I think one has to be in a certain mindset to enjoy it. I can understand how in a vacuum it would fall short (in a pure literary sense) of all it's fabled praise.

Was this the one that became the Dicaprio/Winslet movie? My friend told me that she thought of me watching the movie, that Winslet's character reminded her of me. Is that good or bad?

Well, I didn't see the movie so I suppose it might depend on how she was portrayed there. She wasn't too sympathetic of a character in the book. Very self-absorbed. But that's not you I don't think, from how you come across on this board at least! B)

I could watch Kate Winslett read from the list of contents on the back of a paint can, for hours on end, and be happy.

I know that's kind of a hypothetical and all, but - I think I would actually desire to see that. Her in a sundress maybe, sitting against a brick wall on a back porch, legs splayed out...

I know that's kind of a hypothetical and all, but - I think I would actually desire to see that. Her in a sundress maybe, sitting against a brick wall on a back porch, legs splayed out...

Sundress...walking on the beach...sun behind her...

Oh yeah

Men! :rolleyes

You guys are so cute. If hopelessly lust-ridden.

Two words...Bacon Bikini

I was OK with Heartbreaking Work ... although I understand why some people don't like it. But I really recommend both What is the What and Zeitoun even if you dislike Eggers.

I thought Eggers was in desperate need of a decent editor in Heartbreaking Work... but I adore What Is The What. If you've written Eggers off, give him one more shot and read WITW.

I thought it was pretty melodramatic and highly...supernatural? Supersitious?

Perhaps you just generally don't dig magic realism?

It's also the bible of many school administrators--it's one of the latest shiny, trendy things to worship and mine for half-assed initiatives.

QFT! I can't tell you the number of times this book has been quoted by administration in my district.

naked-lunch-book-cover.jpg

Funny, when I read the title of this thread, this is the book that came to mind. Maybe I am just not smart enough, but this one was not for me.

By the way, some of favorite novels listed here:

Confederacy of Dunces

Moby Dick

A Catcher in the Rye

The Fountainhead

Great Expectations

On the Road

I've had a copy of "What is the What" sitting at the top of a stack of books now for weeks, reluctant to try Eggers again.

50+ pages in and it's already terrific.

And when you are done, I recommend picking up a copy of Zeitoun. It is similar to WITW in that it is almost just good reporting. There is no sense of smugness or cleverness that is sometimes evident in Eggers' writing.

The thing with On The Road is the cadence of the story.

Oh, absolutely. The first time I read it I can remember thinking it wasn't that great, but the thing that kept me going was how I would periodically get completely lost in the rhythm of the thing. Finally, I realized that that WAS what was so great about it. At the end of my first time though I'm not sure I remembered much about what happened or what it was about, but dang it was an exhilarating ride! Subsequent readings have only made it grow on me more. I appreciate it in a very different way than I would, say, Moby Dick--and explaining what is great about it is almost as difficult as explaining why you love a song or a band that somebody else just may not get at all. But that's part of its charm.

On the other hand, I have never made it past page 20 of a Jane Austen book.

This thread is pretty much the literary counterpart to the Musical Blasphemy thread from a while back, the one where people confessed to not liking something that everyone else loves. No one is bothering to trash books that we all agree are terrible (well, with the exception of The DaVinci Code :P ). The real killers are those books that we've been told are great.

For the record, I love all things Austen, and I keep on trying with Eggers but just keep getting burned. I'm still considering Zeitoun, though. :yes

i recommend "you shall know our velocity" by eggers. picked it up on the recommended shelf at my library. terrific and moving stuff.

in re: jane austen: i think i am not able to relate at all to the strictures and social mores of her time and i just get frustrated by the polite and demureness of it all.

and while i enjoyed the story of wuthering heights, i didn't like the writing. it's been decades, tho. i could give it another go.

i was suprised to find that i loved reading "frankenstein" in college. aside from the verbose, victorian style it was a tremendous book.

i recommend "you shall know our velocity" by eggers. picked it up on the recommended shelf at my library. terrific and moving stuff.

See, that's one of his that just doesn't do it for me. :)

Although, I didn't dislike that one nearly as much as A Heartbreaking Work..., which actually made me angry. I had a particularly intense aversion to that one, for some reason.

Although, I didn't dislike that one nearly as much as A Heartbreaking Work..., which actually made me angry. I had a particularly intense aversion to that one, for some reason.

I enjoyed A Heartbreaking Work... for the first few chapters. I don't know exactly at what point that changed for me, but eventually I decided there was no way I was going to make it through a whole book of that. From other stuff of his I have read, I like him but can only really tolerate him in short bursts.