Spoon - Transference

i think the first 4 songs are pretty underwhelming...

ii don't like the first 2 songs too much... but starting at Who Makes Your Money'... the second half of the record is fantastic.

'Trouble Comes Runnin' is some nice lo-fi old school Spoon. one of my fave songs of theirs in a LONG time. I Saw The Light and Out Go the Lights are both fabulous too.

i'd say i already like it more than Ga so far, but maybe not quite as much as Gimme Fiction (and obvs not as much as Girls/Moonlight/Sneaks).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I agree the 2nd half is fantastic. It's probably not as good as Ga Ga for me, but I still like it for the most part. They will never make a sub par album, but I do wish they'd branch out a bit more sometimes. Good tunes, nonetheless.

ii don't like the first 2 songs too much... but starting at Who Makes Your Money'... the second half of the record is fantastic.

'Trouble Comes Runnin' is some nice lo-fi old school Spoon. one of my fave songs of theirs in a LONG time. I Saw The Light and Out Go the Lights are both fabulous too.

i'd say i already like it more than Ga so far, but maybe not quite as much as Gimme Fiction (and obvs not as much as Girls/Moonlight/Sneaks).

I agree with this. I'm really liking it so far. I like the stripped down song and his voice sounds incredible.

Found a 320 rip of this yesterday afternoon and have played it a few times since. My first thoughts are that it sounds pretty straight forward in comparison to their other albums. I really want to spend more time with it though. Each of their albums have been growers to me, so it may take time for me to even form a cohesive opinion.

Agree for the most part. Gimme Fiction will always be my favorite...should never have traded away my vinyl copy of that.

They will never make a sub par album, but I do wish they'd branch out a bit more sometimes. Good tunes, nonetheless.

Well said, I love every Spoon album but they often get accused of underachieving, which is something I'm inclined to agree with.

Still pumped to hear this new one though, will be picking up the vinyl when it drops

I'm not talking about commercial success, more just that they never really deviate from what works so well for them - for better or for worse. I adore every Spoon record but I have trouble distinguishing their music from album to album. I don't have this issue with my other favorite bands.

anyways, doesn't really matter since the music they make rules

SPOON & DEERHUNTER 2010 TOUR DATES

17-Mar Stubbs Austin, TX

18-Mar Republic New Orleans, LA

19-Mar Workplay Soundstage Birmingham, AL

20-Mar Tabernacle Atlanta, GA

22-Mar 9:30 Club Washington, DC

23-Mar 9:30 Club Washington, DC

24-Mar The National Richmond, VA

26-Mar Radio City Music Hall New York, NY

27-Mar House of Blues Boston, MA, USA

29-Mar Sound Academy Toronto, ON

30-Mar Royal Oak Music TheatreRoyal Oak, MI

1-Apr Aragon Ballroom Chicago, IL

2-Apr First Avenue Minneapolis, MN

3-Apr First Avenue Minneapolis, MN

5-Apr Ogden Theatre Denver, CO

6-Apr Ogden Theatre Denver, CO

7-Apr In the Venue Salt Lake City, UT

9-Apr Moore Theatre Seattle, WA

10-Apr Moore Theatre Seattle, WA

11-Apr Orpheum Theatre Vancouver, BC

13-Apr Fox Theater Oakland, CA

best tour pairing of the year????? :blink

i'm gonna have to go to both shows... sorry Miles from Beulah :ohwell

Of all the shows to be on the same date - i've been waiting for the miles kurosky tour forever and now he has to compete with Spoon on the same night? Schuba's will be empty. :ohwell

Spoon AND Deerhunter... and Micachu & The Shapes :dontgetit

After quite a few listens I have decided I like this album better than Ga. There may not be a song as instantly catchy as "Don't you Evah" but over all I think it's a better album. I suppose if there was a single to be had on this one it would be "The Mystery Zone"?

Fantastic, Spoon and Deerhunter in April in CO, can't wait!

I can never trust any of my initial impressions, so let's just say that I am thoroughly enjoying this. And I liked GaGaGaGa but I found that it didn't have much staying power.

Really looking forward to this new one on vinyl.

I can never trust any of my initial impressions, so let's just say that I am thoroughly enjoying this. And I liked GaGaGaGa but I found that it didn't have much staying power.

Really looking forward to this new one on vinyl.

ga was the first spoon record i heard (maybe some of gimme fiction) and it's probably the one i still listen to the most. i love the whole album.

Finally got to hear this last night.

It seems they've avoided the catchy hooks from Ga Ga and gone for a more understated, low-slung groove. Admirable, since Spoon were seeing more mainstream play/movie soundtracks with their previous formula.

I like this new one in the same way I liked their older stuff. Vinyl will be purchased for sure, what is the official release date for this?

Not sure how this will hold up with any of the new fans that got hooked on Ga?

It is not as catchy. I loved the horns on Ga.

And I agree Britt has the sexiest voice in rock. Love the scream on Written in Reverse

Looking forward to seeing them in TO, will be my first Spoon show. Too bad it's at the Sound Academy, not a fan of the venue.

I don't think anyone in the band cares what the newfound GaGaGaGaGa fans think. Sadly, this record's reviews will all point out that it's there "anti-pop record" or their "Kid A" or whatever, but it's not without truth. I love this album so far, but it's not them taking a shot at the big time. However, the songs are great, and it sounds like Spoon. It may not have horn sections and poppy choruses, but it sounds like Spoon. Sounding like Spoon is never bad.