Although he did pitch the only two games NYY lost to Philly in the WS....

Exactly. The Yanks aren't thinking about getting to the postseason. They're trying to win the WS.

This is just more salt in the Cliff Lee wound to fans of the Phillies, who are, of course, in search of another starting pitcher and in danger of not even getting to the postseason.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got Halladay when they trade Lee.

Right, but they could have had both simply by trading Blanton. They don't get the same prospects, but, in the this case, so what. They are now going to have to trade for a starter and probably an infielder if they want to get back into it.

Tigres fans. Any rumors of Porcello being on the move?

A bit more on this from the fantastic MLB Trade Rumors website:

The Tigers haven’t ruled out trading Rick Porcello, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. They pushed the 21-year-old's next Triple A start back a day, though it’s not because of an injury. GM Dave Dombrowski said he doesn’t plan to move Porcello, but acknowledged that anything could happen.

“I don’t ever use the word ‘untouchable’ on any players,” Dombrowski said. “But he’s not a guy we’re looking to trade.”

The Tigers have tens of millions coming off the books after the season, since Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson and Dontrelle Willis all have contracts that expire. That could make it easier for the Tigers to add a top starter this year.

Cliff Lee won’t likely be on the market for long and Roy Oswalt would not accept a deal to Detroit, but the Tigers could pursue Dan Haren. The Tigers have sent Edwin Jackson and Willis to Arizona in recent trades, though that was when Josh Byrnes was running the D’Backs.

Porcello followed up his breakout 2009 season with a disappointing 13-start stint in the Tigers' rotation. He posted a 6.14 ERA in the majors and has since posted a 4.29 mark in three minor league starts.

Edit: Not a Tigers fan, I just follow the website every day around this time of year.

XM is reporting that the Lee deal is off because another unknown team has made a better offer and the Mariners want the Yanks to compete with it.

3:07pm: The Rangers are working 'really hard' to acquire Lee, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

2:57pm: The Mariners didn't accept the Yankees' offer of Montero, Adams and a third prospect, so the Yankees may walk away from the discussions, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.

2:44pm: The Mariners are backing off, according to Sherman. The Yankees believe they are no longer in the Lee sweepstakes, as the M's have gone in another direction. Sherman says 'the Yankees aren't getting Cliff Lee,' since another team has entered discussions aggressively.

Meanwhile, Olney cites 'big concerns' in the talks between the Yankees and Mariners.

:cheers

P.S. Please let this be true. Go Rangers! Red Sox fans can breathe a sigh of relief, then remember that their team is off the tracks. Hey Theo, why not the push to get Lee?

RE: Cliff Huxtable to NYY deal off:

3:41pm: The Mariners had concerns about Adams' (NYY) health and talks broke down from there, according to Olney. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News points out that Smoak is not in the Rangers' lineup tonight.

Edit: Yankees setting sights on Werth now...

An official of one team the Phillies discussed Werth with told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that he would be very surprised to see the Phils trade him. Stark reports that the Phillies appear to have evaluated the market for Werth, Ibanez and Shane Victorino. The Phillies would have interest in Vazquez if the Yankees make him available.

This doesn't make much sense assuming the Yankees do not get a top quality starter via a trade. It also doesn't bode well for Philadelphia to settle for Javier. How does one go from having Lee to letting him go then getting Halladay and then possibly settling for someone like Javier. They should at least try to get Oswalt if the Rangers acquire Lee instead of Oswalt (who they were salivating over).

3:57pm: The Rangers will acquire Lee and Mark Lowe for Justin Smoak and three others, according to Sherman.

We'll see how long until this one gets debunked.

There's no way the Rangers will be able to sign him at the end of the season, though....

Giving up Smoak and three others, apparently. Seems like a lot for half a season but obviously think they can go all the way this year. Their rotation was good before this deal (if true)....

my Rangers finally make a real trade for a real ace. sports pants are all messy.

There's no way the Rangers will be able to sign him at the end of the season, though....

Giving up Smoak and three others, apparently. Seems like a lot for half a season but obviously think they can go all the way this year. Their rotation was good before this deal (if true)....

it's true.

and i'm not sure they won't be able to sign him. i think the court process will be over by december.

Either way the Yankees will make out in the end (read: offseason).

1.) They pass on giving up 6th rated prospect C Jesus Montero who would come up right when Jorge decides to hit Sunny Side Acres.

2.) They get to sign him after he comes off of the Rangers' post season run (I don't think they'll get too far. Although, I love the possibility of not seeing the Angels again in the post season) on their own terms and not lose any prospects.

3.) They get to miss him tonight in Seattle.

4.) They'll probably get another "Rental" out of someone with lesser value.

Haven't Cleveland fans been through enough already tongue.gif

Hey, I'm a Phillies fan, but the Indians flat-out got ripped-off for Lee last year; not that the Phils got as much as they could have when they dealt him in the offseason. (Not that Lee was as important to the city of Cleveland as James was!)

A couple of days ago I read the Rangers were not signing international talent this summer so they'd have that cash available to make a deal for the sretch run. So far they've acquired Lee and Molina. Pretty sweet for the Rangers.

How about a Rangers-Padres World Series!

Lest not forget that last year at the Trade Deadline the Red Sox could have acquired Victor Martinez & CLIFF LEE for Justin Masterson & CLAY BUCHHOLZ.

It'll take awhile to make a firm statement on whether or not the best trades you make are the ones that never happen. (read: Jon Lester for Johan Santana)