David DeJesus may be the best player available, factoring age, salary, cost of talent, can play center, bats left, can hit at the top of the lineup, consistent contact hitter with a little pop and speed, plus he's not going to be a free agent at season's end.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David DeJesus may be the best player available, factoring age, salary, cost of talent, can play center, bats left, can hit at the top of the lineup, consistent contact hitter with a little pop and speed, plus he's not going to be a free agent at season's end.

Ok. Suffering a mild thumb sprain tonight may reduce his chances of being dealt this month.

Tonight I went to the local minor league team the Kinston Indians, an advanced A team. Their left-handed hitting left fielder is a kid named Bo Greenwell, son of Mike. He's got a high average, but no homers in the 2 weeks he's been there. I tell you one thing, that boy Bo can rip the hell out of a foul ball.

Is Cody Ross now the best outfielder on the market?

Best affordable talent, yes. Better than the expensive Jayson Werth, no. Corey Hart left las night's game with an injury. It isn't supposed to be serious, but neither was DeJesus'.

Oh yeah, it's a deeply flawed division -- I know the Twins and the White Sox have some huge holes of their own. But as it was, the Tigers were pretty much running neck and neck with them with Ordonez in the line up. Now their second biggest bat in an already fairly weak line up is gone, and that cripples their best bat as well because there won't be much of a reason to pitch to Cabrera as much. I suppose they still have a chance but it's a pretty slim one.

I don't know if the Tigers have some big moves on tap for this week, but otherwise here's the line up we're looking at for the next month or so:

1. Austin Jackson, CF

2. Scott Sizemore, 3B

3. Johnny Damon, LF

4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B

5. Brennan Boesch, RF

6. Jeff Larish, DH,

7. Alex Avila, C

8. Danny Worth, SS

9. Will Rhymes, 2B

That's SEVEN rookies.

Angels Acquire Dan Haren

I'm very surprised at the Angels picking him up. I really thought that the Yankees, Philllies, Cardinals or Tigers would snag him.

Does L.A. (or is it Anaheim) think that they're still in it? Good investment, I guess. Although, Lackey is gone and so is Joe Saunders now (who they gave up along with a few others). That leaves behind Scott Kazmir (on the DL), Ervin Santana, Joel Pineiro, & Jered Weaver to join Haren. Not a bad looking bunch at all.

Edit: Ah, it looks like Haren is a California man, so that may explain what happened. I seem to remember hearing something about him hoping he'd land on the West Coast. Good for him.

The D'backs received an established player and three prospects for Haren. If the Phils trade Werth, they'll try to get something similar, except they won't get as much because Werth is a pending FA and Haren is under contract. For all the talk of getting a starter, the Phils need another arm or two for the pen. I'm hoping Philadelphia holds on to Werth just for his right-handed bat. I believe Dominic Brown can provide decent production right away, but he'll be one more left-handed stick alongside Howard, Ibanez and Utley (when he returns from the DL). Rollins and Victorino switch hit, but neither can provide the right handed power this lineup needs to keep other managers on edge. It wouldn't surprise me if a creative deal involving Victorino went down. He got a contract extension before the season, so the acquiring team would be more willing to give up players and/or prospects for a contractually-bound CF in his prime. Brown could take over center and not have to worry about power production, which usually doesn't happen right away.

*I'd rather the Phils find dump sites for Lidge and Ibanez, but their salaries for 2011 are $11M and &13M respectively. They might go somewhere else, but their paychecks will read Philadelphia Phillies, regardless.

Wow, I'm surprised that that was broadcast on ESPN. It feels like I've seen all of the No Hitters & Perfect Games this year. Thanks to MLB for breaking into coverage in the past year for that. :thumbup

I've even caught the "almost" on either MLB/NESN or ESPN:

Phil Hughes vs. A's in April (broken up in 8th)

Daisuke vs. Philadelphia in May (broken up in 8th)

Johnny Cueto vs. Pirates in May (broken up in 9th)

Mat Latos vs. Giants in May (broken up in 6th)

Jered Weaver vs. Seattle in May (broken up in 7th)

C.C. Sabathia vs. Tampa Bay in April or May (broken up in 8th)

Matt Cain vs. Arizona in May

Ted Lilly in June vs. White Sox (broken up in top of the 9th)

Gavin Floyd in June vs. Cubs {same game as above} (broken up in the 7th)

Travis Wood vs. Phillies in July (broken up in 9th)

John Lackey vs. Seattle this past Friday (broken up in 7th?)

Jon Lester vs. Seattle this past Saturday (broken up in 7th?)

Who am I missing? Edit: I'm not missing one very important one. I still count that in my books.

Just watched Nellie Cruz hit a two run walk-off homer in the bottom of the tenth.

The Rangers have a special season going on my friends.

Just watched Nellie Cruz hit a two run walk-off homer in the bottom of the tenth.

The Rangers have a special season going on my friends.

I just came on to say how exciting Rangers baseball is this year. Beat me to it, Crow.

I just came on to say how exciting Rangers baseball is this year. Beat me to it, Crow.

Looks like Cliff Lee is going to be 'one of those' pitchers. He won't give up many and probably won't get much (speaking of runs and run support).

Jeremy Bonderman is seriously considering retiring at age 28 after the season, reports Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press. Bonderman will be a free agent, and he could hang up the spikes if he doesn't get an acceptable offer to return to the Tigers or sign with a team somewhat near his Pasco, Washington home.

Bonderman says he's saved a lot of money, so he has the ability to retire. He's earned over $40MM in his career, most of it coming from a four-year deal signed in '06. Bonderman should find interest if he decides to continue pitching. He's shown good health, decent peripherals, and flashes of his former velocity this year.

To each his own, I guess, but this just seems babyish. Hey Seattle, it's up to you to keep Bonderman in the game past the age of 28. :stunned There isn't even the throwing around of the token phrase, "I want to spend more time with my family". In his case it's more like, "I want to spend more time with my $40 million".