Is it "worth" it to spend $250 for nose bleeds to see Neil Diamond?

Sure, that is how much they are worth, but they are not necessarily "worth" plopping down $250 to see him through binoculars or beer goggles.

To most people on this board, probably not. But if someone paid that, then obviously it was worth it to them.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules

Is it "worth" it to spend $250 for nose bleeds to see Neil Diamond?

Sure, that is how much they are worth, but they are not necessarily "worth" plopping down $250 to see him through binoculars or beer goggles.

Now you're just being silly.

Now you're just being silly.

Hindsight should be automatically thrown out the window when a player has been on the DL every season for the past 5 years and spending that last year completely on the DL.

In the early days he was.

Neil Diamond would be a great name for a baseball player.

When he played Fenway Park a few years back, I had an idea for a special t-shirt just for the occasion:

A man in a sequined black shirt with diamonds on a baseball diamond kneeling in front of a crowd with the Green Monster in the background.

Sadly that never came to fruition. :ohwell

Now is the time for literal rock t-shirts.

A melon wearing dark shades may be a hot seller.

Wade Miller in 2005 for the Red Sox. He took $1.5 million for 1 year. In 2004 Miller had a rotator cuff injury that ended his season in June.

John Smoltz in 2009 for the Red Sox. He took $5.5 million for 1 year. He was more of a risk for his age, past injuries and close to retirement. He could have earned up to $10 million if he pitched well enough.

Brad Penny in 2009 for the Red Sox. He also took a $5.5 million for 1 year deal. He was another DL case.

These are not examples of players giving discounts.

Wade Miller in 2005 for the Red Sox. He took $1.5 million for 1 year. In 2004 Miller had a rotator cuff injury that ended his season in June. Miller made $3.4 million in 2004 with the Astros.

John Smoltz in 2009 for the Red Sox. He took $5.5 million for 1 year. He was more of a risk for his age, past injuries and close to retirement. He could have earned up to $10 million if he pitched well enough. Smoltz made $14 million in 2008 with the Braves.

Brad Penny in 2009 for the Red Sox. He also took a $5.5 million for 1 year deal. He was another DL case. $8 million in 2008 with Dodgers.

These are not examples of players giving discounts.

If you don't want to use the word discount, can you at least agree that they took "less than" their prior salaries? So if this is what they were worth at that specific time (including past injuries), then how did Ben Sheets get such a good ole deal? Are Ben Sheets & his agent a modern day Houdini & Obi Wan Kenobi?

The agent of Ben Sheets: Mr. Beane, my client was 22-0 in 2009. You will sign him for $10 million. Oh yes, you will. (then he waves his fingers towards his eyes)

Me: (wags fingers at Beane) Foolish GM.

This is a bit and you are all falling for it. But I am not.

Suckers.

{i'll personalize my angle for you and Bjorn}

Says the Mets fan who saw his GM pay $68 million for 4 years to Jason Bay. He isn't made to hit home runs in that ball park and the Red Sox passed on him because of his physical (knees & shoulder). Red Sox Pass On Bay

I have nothing against you or the Mets, but I hope that they can get something decent out of him at next year's trade deadline when they will probably inevitably try to move him. They can't do it now or else it will look like they obviously made the wrong move. If they wait another year, then they gave him a year and a half to try and figure it out. And they'll probably have to pay for a team to take him on.

Jason Bay has had 6 HRs this year. Last year he hit 36. I highly doubt that he gets 15 in August & 15 in September. He does look on par to break his 29 2Bs last year (@ 20 now) & already beat his 3Bs from last year (@ 6 now/3 in 2009). 91 Ks in 2010/162 in 2009.

Did Omar Minay convey to Mets fans that they were buying a Free Agent Home Run hitter or was he quiet on that front? The dimensions in Citi Field vs. Fenway Park: LF (Citi: 335 Ft, Fenway: 310 Ft) CF (Citi: 408 Ft, Fenway: 389 Ft) RF (Citi: 330 Ft, Fenway: 302 Ft). It's not that bad of a difference, but I think the extra 20 or so Ft will hurt his knees & shoulder for OF purposes like throwing to the IF or home plate.

I really wish you guys ended up with Matt Holliday, to be honest. Although, his $120 million contract for 7 years that he got I don't think Omar would have paid for. Then that brings up an interesting question and my point: is someone like Bay really worth that type of money for that specific ballpark? I'd say no. My assumption when that deal went down was that Omar paid for Bay's home run hitting bat, not for a doubles guy.

In the end a lot of these deals feel like being at a prom alone and then everyone else gets paired off and you're left looking at one person and you shrug your shoulders and dance the night away.

If you don't want to use the word discount, can you at least agree that they took "less than" their prior salaries? So if this is what they were worth at that specific time (including past injuries), then how did Ben Sheets get such a good ole deal? Are Ben Sheets & his agent a modern day Houdini & Obi Wan Kenobi?

They took less, because nobody offered them more. They would have taken more, had someone offered. There are a number of reasons that players sign smaller contracts, but "giving a discount" isn't one of them, except in the rare circumstances I mentioned before (to sign with the club they want to play for, or to free up salary cap space to sign another player ... the latter of which doesn't really happen in MLB, but does in the NBA and NFL).

Sheets got a "good ole deal" because a club (perhaps foolishly) decided he was worth the risk, despite his past injuries, and offered him a lot of money to get him to sign with them. Sheets took it, because he'd have been an idiot not to. That it turned out to be a bad risk for the club isn't on Sheets and his agent. Clubs often take stupid risks ... sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't.

^ :cheers

Edit: In other more important news, Edwin Jackson just got traded to the White Sox for Dan Hudson. White Sox fans,do you like this deal? Or is it better if you get Adam Dunn via Edwin Jackson? Hudson had some pretty good praise.

Wow, the AL Central & West mean business this year! AL East has been relatively quiet. I know that Boston is looking for relievers by shopping around Ramon Ramirez & Manny Delcarmen. :punch

I told some people that my prediction for the ALCS is Texas Vs. Chicago. As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I can deal with that. :music

So far, Jason Bay has been a bucket of shit, but Theo Epstein is much smarter than Omar Minaya.

Edwin Jackson to the White Sox.

Whether he stays there, or is promptly dealt for someone else (e.g., Adam Dunn) remains to be seen.

The Nationals signed closer Matt Capps as a non-tendered free agent after he turned down an offer from the Cubs. Yesterday the All Star Capps was traded to the Twins for a prized catching prospect. If the White Sox don't get off the schnide and make a move, Matt Capps will have burned Chicago baseball three different ways this season.

The Rangers needed a catcher. They got Molina. The Rangers needed a #1 starter. They got Lee. The Rangers needed a right-handed stick to platoon at first base. They got Cantu. The Rangers needed a 2B to fill in for the recently injured Ian Kinsler. And today they acquired Christian Guzman. Jon Daniels has come a long way since trading away Adrian Gonzalez as a rookie GM. Executive of the Year.

The Rangers needed a catcher. They got Molina. The Rangers needed a #1 starter. They got Lee. The Rangers needed a right-handed stick to platoon at first base. They got Cantu. The Rangers needed a 2B to fill in for the recently injured Ian Kinsler. And today they acquired Christian Guzman. Jon Daniels has come a long way since trading away Adrian Gonzalez as a rookie GM. Executive of the Year.

All without any extra money to work with.

I'm just hoping Cliff Lee signs u2roolz as his agent, so the Rangers can get a discount to try to sign him.

All without any extra money to work with.

I'm just hoping Cliff Lee signs u2roolz as his agent, so the Rangers can get a discount to try to sign him.

He is more deserving of the money that he receives because he delivers and has spent minimal time on the DL.

If I were his agent, I'd get him cement shoes to keep the poor man in place.

The Nationals signed closer Matt Capps as a non-tendered free agent after he turned down an offer from the Cubs. Yesterday the All Star Capps was traded to the Twins for a prized catching prospect. If the White Sox don't get off the schnide and make a move, Matt Capps will have burned Chicago baseball three different ways this season.

I'm thrilled that the Twins traded one of their best prospects for Matt freaking Capps.

The Edwin Jackson trade, unfortunately, looks horrible for the White Sox unless he is flipped as part of a deal for Dunn.

Unless Don Cooper works some magic, Hudson is a good bet to out-perform Jackson during this and every other year. While earning much less money.

Holmberg is a decent prospect as well.