The Rangers likely won't be able to re-sign Cliff Lee, but for teams who are not the Yankees, you gotta make a move when you have the chance -- the Rangers are typically not that great, so what the heck are they saving Justin Smoak for? A year where he is awesome and the rest of the team is crap? They made the right move in trading him for Lee.

Plus, though they will not re-sign Lee, they will get a 1st round draft pick out of it once he's gone.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XM reports the Braves have traded SS Yunel Escobar and P Jo Jo Reyes to the Jays for veteran SS Alex Gonzalez (yes, that Alex Gonzalez) and two minor leaguers. Why? Escobar decided he liked being in Bobby Cox's doghouse, which is the quickest ticket out of Atlanta.

Awful, awful trade from a talent perspective by the Braves

I'm sure last Saturday night Bobby Cox told Frank Wren that he didn't want Escobar still around when they got back from the break (He'd made another lazy play that put Troy Glaus in danger of getting injured by the runner that day.). Doesn't give the GM a whole lot of leverage in negotiations. The Braves took care of the rest of the season, but hey, it's better than what they got for Francouer.

Yeah, when I watched that Braves-Mets game I was like, "That kid is going to get fired for playing like this."

i met ryne sandberg last night and got his autograph. nice guy. he's managing the aaa-iowa cubs, who are in town to play the okc redhawks. he seems to be moving steadily up the ladder to be a major-league manager...

i met ryne sandberg last night and got his autograph. nice guy. he's managing the aaa-iowa cubs, who are in town to play the okc redhawks. he seems to be moving steadily up the ladder to be a major-league manager...

Odd that I read this and then read the following on MLB Trade Rumors: "people connected to the Cubs expect manager Lou Piniella to retire after the season when his contract expires. Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg could replace Piniella as Cubs skipper.

Odd that I read this and then read the following on MLB Trade Rumors: "people connected to the Cubs expect manager Lou Piniella to retire after the season when his contract expires. Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg could replace Piniella as Cubs skipper.

sandberg to head the cubs has been discussed for a while now. i love ryno but really hope they choose someone else. maybe let zambrano player-coach.

Ron Santo was vintage today:

On Jayson Werth's beard: "He'd be doing better if he shaved it off. It's too heavy - it's weighing him down."

When Carlos Marmol was on the verge of blowing the game, but still had a chance to save it, Pat Hughes said, "The Phillies are down to their last out." Santo mutters, "I'm down to my last out." :lol

Marmol did, of course, blow it. Santo spent the rest of the game beside himself. "Oh jeez. You can't do that. Jesus Christ. Oh jeez." :lol

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/23298130?tag=mccBlogView;comBlogEntryListMiniCnt

Piniella to retire at end of season

Posted on: July 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Edited on: July 20, 2010 2:34 pmScore: 159Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate: Sign-up to rate: Cubs manager Lou Piniella announced today that he will retire at the end of the season.

The Cubs' disappointing year has seemed to wear on Piniella, and there had even been some speculation before the All-Star break that he would leave before the season ended. The Cubs are 42-52, in fourth place in the National League Central.

Piniella, who turns 67 in August, is in his fourth season with the Cubs, after previous managerial stays with the Yankees, Reds, Mariners and Devil Rays. His first two Cubs teams won division titles, before exiting in the first round of the playoffs.

Carl's arguments were reminiscent of the arguments against wearing a condom.

This Rangers' bankruptcy, forced auction imbroglio is a clusterfuck of the first order.

Now Mark Cuban has been cleared by MLB to bid on the team. Good God almighty what a mess. This team has the mojo, the talent and attitude to actually do something this year. Now we are looking at a disaster of the first order with Nolan Ryan AND John Daniels probably on the way out if Chuck Greenberg's group doesn't win the bid.

Tom Hicks is the new Baseball Anti-Christ.

I moustache.gif you a few questions:

Who do you think will be traded by July 31st?

Dan Haren is linked to Detroit, Philadelphia, & St. Louis.

Roy Oswalt's 1st choice for a trade is St. Louis.

Miguel Tejada looks like a decent fit for San Deigo, while David Eckstein is out.

Red Sox are looking into Jayson Werth, David DeJesus, Chris Snyder & Chris Iannetta.

White Sox are looking at Prince Fielder & Adam Dunn.

Corey Hart can take his sunglasses at night to any team at this point.

Mets are looking to move Jeff Francoeur. :sleep

Are Ben Sheets & Ted Lilly going to come out smelling like roses because some teams need a few extra arms for the stretch?

The Yankees also will probably pick up a starter with A.J. Burnett stinking up the place and Andy P going on the DL.