• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice debut for domonic brown tonight in philly.

7-0 and here comes halladay in the ninth with 105 pitches thrown. I don't subscribe to all the pitch count fanaticcs, but I hope its a quick ninth.....

The idea that a mediocre back end of the rotation type of pitcher is giving anyone an ultimatum is laughable. What would he accomplish with that? That would be pretty immature if it were at all true. He's not dumb enough to think that anyone is going to offer him more than he's worth just because if they don't he may retire instead of going to play for someone else for less money. That isn't what he said and it doesn't even make logical sense as what he might have meant.

All he was saying was that staying in shape to be a professional athlete is hard work, especially when you've already gone through a few serious injuries, and that he's considering whether or not its worth it, in light of the fact that he does not need the money. Makes total sense to me.

So if the Tigers offered Bonderman a 1 year deal for $8 million and he got injured before Spring Training and didn't pitch once, you would be upset. But you wouldn't be upset, only if he was the World Series hero?

Well no. I wouldn't be upset in either situation. If Bonderman can get a deal from the Tigers, good for him. Why would I get upset?

I am breaking down Bonderman's options (which he has plenty of) down to their core, to their essence and to their root.

Let's take a look at a few different "fake" scenarios (then come back around to my points, yet again):

1) Bonderman says he is going to retire at the end of this season. He can give his injury or his $40 million or both as reasons and I would be fine with that. Good for him. It sucks that that injury ruined his career, especially at such a young age.

2) He talks in late July about wanting to resign with Detroit or he hints at wanting to go closer to home in Seattle or on the West Coast. That's fine. Players talk all the time at the wrong times. If you don't make the playoffs in October, then you have that whole month to discuss this sort of thing. Anyways, no big deal.

Which leads me to the reason why I find this whole thing upsetting & strange: In reality, he is weighing both options with both reasons and as an undercurrent through both options is his past injury. Or another way of saying that is that his injury is a giant black cloud looking worst over staying in Detroit & moving to Seattle because I strongly think that his main push to retire is because of his injury. So he wants to kind of retire, but wants to see if a team will pay him? (look at the Curt Schilling example. He was 40ish and he got a contract. This guy is only 28. A team could fall for this, but before they do he should stick to one thing: like retirement).

It is like he has way too many cards on the table. While he's being honest about wanting to retire and spend time with his family, in the next breath he talks about resigning or going out West. He's all over the place. And once again that injury is hanging over him.

It's like if I had a stroke on my current job away from home and was paid very well. Then last year my productivity went down because I was hardly there. Then this year I tried to pick it up, but told coworkers that I was thinking about retiring. Then I told those same coworkers that I want to stay here or take a job back at home. Let's say I take a job offer out "at home" then hang it up because I can't work anymore. I still get the contract though. Most people (in my situation) would get a part time job and then see what happens, not take the salary job and then fuck them over knowing full well that you brought certain health issues along with you.

Once again I am discussing his options at the core, I'm not falling for the sugar coated lines.

Edit: Unless, of course, he has it set in his mind that he wants to retire and does not take an offer from either team(s). Then that would be ok.

Have you read the original Free Press article yet?

He's merely trying to decide whether he still wants to pitch. Is that so wrong? He sounds like he's willing to fully commit to more baseball, if he reaches the decision to continue his career. He just hasn't made that decision yet, and his choice will be influenced by the kinds of offers he receives. No ultimatums. No demands. Just an honest statement about where his head is at.

I think you're reading a lot into what's been reported. It's a lot simpler than you're making it out to be.

I could rehash what I posted earlier, but it seems easier just to repost:

I don't see any problem whatsoever here.

The man has enough money to comfortably support his family for the rest of their lives. If you were in that situation, wouldn't you give serious thought to retirement, regardless of your age, unless your work situation was absolutely optimal? That is, you loved what you do, and you got to do it when and where you wanted?

Think of it another way: if you won a $40 million Powerball jackpot this weekend, would you quit your job? I would.

And that's all Bonderman is pondering. He already won that jackpot. He has the luxury of being able to make this decision. To criticize him for it reeks of jealousy.

Have you read the original Free Press article yet?

He's merely trying to decide whether he still wants to pitch. Is that so wrong? He sounds like he's willing to fully commit to more baseball, if he reaches the decision to continue his career. He just hasn't made that decision yet, and his choice will be influenced by the kinds of offers he receives. No ultimatums. No demands. Just an honest statement about where his head is at.

I think you're reading a lot into what's been reported. It's a lot simpler than you're making it out to be.

I could rehash what I posted earlier, but it seems easier just to repost:

Yes. I read it yesterday afternoon. Thank you.

Let me use Ben Sheets as an example. That guy is prone to injury and has had injuries in the past, yet Oakland gave him $10 million (for 1 year!) and he's out for the year in late July. His record 4-9 in 20 starts.

It's a pretty stupid business decision to take a risk on someone like Ben Sheets. It's greedier for Sheets to agree to $10 million and not just hang it up in the previous offseason. That's what pisses me off. And it should piss fans off too. Oakland could have used that $10 million toward someone else.

At least Bonderman is thinking about retiring. I just wish that he would and save his current ball club the hassle of signing him for 2011 and getting subpar starts out of him or have him out for the year (in June or July). Of course, that's all speculation but it's sometimes best to think worst possible scenario when dealing with millions and a league full of free agents and rookies.

Once again I am discussing his options at the core, I'm not falling for the sugar coated lines.

Edit: Unless, of course, he has it set in his mind that he wants to retire and does not take an offer from either team(s). Then that would be ok.

I still don't understand why it's bothering you.

Reporter: Hey Jeremy. You're a free agent at the end of the season. What are your plans?

Jeremy: I don't know. I'd like to re-sign with the Tigers, but then plan B would be sign with a team close to my home in Washington. If neither of those options happen, I'm strongly considering retiring.

What is so difficult about that?

Reporter: Hey Jeremy. You're a free agent at the end of the season. What are your plans?

Jeremy: I'm strongly considering retiring due to my injuries. And I'd like to spend time with my family.

That would make me happier.

It's a pretty stupid business decision to take a risk on someone like Ben Sheets. It's greedier for Sheets to agree to $10 million and not just hang it up in the previous offseason. That's what pisses me off. And it should piss fans off too. Oakland could have used that $10 million toward someone else.

What? Sheets should have turned down an offer from a team because he might have gotten injured again? And because he didn't, he's greedy? Oakland had all the facts leading up to their decision and chose to take the risk, because it could have been worth it. That's what contracts are.

I've now gone from being confused to utterly fascinated by this thread.

And can the Rangers please score some runs tonight?

What? Sheets should have turned down an offer from a team because he might have gotten injured again? And because he didn't, he's greedy? Oakland had all the facts leading up to their decision and chose to take the risk, because it could have been worth it. That's what contracts are.

$10 million is a bit much for someone like him don't you think? It would be a better risk if they shelled out between $1 & $3 million for him. That's my point. Of course, no one can predict the future, but some teams need to be more intelligent about their spending and on who.

$10 million is a bit much for someone like him don't you think? It would be a better risk if they shelled out between $1 & $3 million for him. That's my point. Of course, no one can predict the future, but some teams need to be more intelligent about their spending and on who.

I'm not sure how that is Sheets's fault, or how that makes him greedy.

Since the White Sox are in first place 2 days short of Aug 1, I guess I can come back to this thread. Any chance I can get a cliff notes version of the first 44 pages?

I'm not sure how that is Sheets's fault, or how that makes him greedy.

Caveat emptor. It's not like his arm problems were a state secret.

Why did the Phillies trade him? Money?

They said they needed to restock their system with prospects, but yes, I think the thought of handing out a 7/8 year contract to a pitcher scared them off. They could have kept him for this year, but they acquired Halladay and signed him for four years. In relation, the Phils have an agreement in place to acquire Roy Oswalt from the Astros, but are awaiting a decision from Oswalt as to whether he'll approve the trade. It's looking as if he will, but will want to be accomodated contractually. He either wants his 2012 option picked up or an extension. Either way the Phils will stick to their philosophy of not giving a lengthy deal to a pitcher (should this deal come to fruition).