• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how that is Sheets's fault, or how that makes him greedy.

Well, Sheets & his agent dictated a hefty price for one year and a team paid for him. Why didn't he take less? All 3 parties involved knew his past injury history. They had the "sheets" pulled over their head.

And who forced his team to pay him the $ he told them to pay him?

Nobody.

My point is more on the preventative risk of spending that type of money on someone with his types of past injuries, especially a pitcher.

It seems that lots of teams take these foolish risks and it bites them in the ass.

And I'd hate to see that happen with Detroit (as I've said 3-5 times) with someone who has been injured, is pondering retirement or looking for a team to put down $$$ to test him out for a year or so.

If he shits the bed in June, they'll be looking at the farm system or at a trade situation to replace him. My point is to avoid all of that by spending their money a lot more wisely.

Because someone was willing to pay him more.

What, he's supposed to say "I'm damaged goods, pay me less"?

Players have given discounts before when they know that they are a risk to any team to take them on. $10 million is not a discount. I know drunks & children who are smarter with their money than some of these baseball executives.

Players have given discounts before when they know that they are a risk to any team to take them on.

Name two.

I've heard of players "giving discounts" to play with the club they want to play for, or to free up salary cap space to sign another player, but I can't say I recall a player ever taking a voluntary pay cut just because they had a track record of injuries. Your agent gets you the best deal, period. If it's less than your last deal, that's because no one offered you more.

Wade Miller in 2005 for the Red Sox. He took $1.5 million for 1 year. In 2004 Miller had a rotator cuff injury that ended his season in June.

John Smoltz in 2009 for the Red Sox. He took $5.5 million for 1 year. He was more of a risk for his age, past injuries and close to retirement. He could have earned up to $10 million if he pitched well enough.

Brad Penny in 2009 for the Red Sox. He also took a $5.5 million for 1 year deal. He was another DL case.

Guest Jules

Players have given discounts before when they know that they are a risk to any team to take them on.

Huh?

Wade Miller in 2005 for the Red Sox. He took $1.5 million for 1 year. In 2004 Miller had a rotator cuff injury that ended his season in June.

John Smoltz in 2009 for the Red Sox. He took $5.5 million for 1 year. He was more of a risk for his age, past injuries and close to retirement. He could have earned up to $10 million if he pitched well enough.

Brad Penny in 2009 for the Red Sox. He also took a $5.5 million for 1 year deal. He was another DL case.

They didn't "give discounts", though. That's what they were worth at that time.

Huh?

What he said.

It's not as if the team said "We want to pay you $10 mil." and the player responded "No no no no. Give me $5.5 mil instead. YOU keep the rest."

Was Ben Sheets worth $10 million?

Brad Penny signed a 3 year deal in 2005 for $25 million which is a little bit over $8 million per year. He could have asked for $8 million, but he ended up with $5.5 in 2009.

Guest Jules

Was Ben Sheets worth $10 million?

Brad Penny signed a 3 year deal in 2005 for $25 million which is a little bit over $8 million per year. He could have asked for $8 million, but he ended up with $5.5.

Someone or something is "worth" whatever someone else is willing to pay.

This is a bit and you are all falling for it. But I am not.

Suckers.

You're a bit!

In fact, Milwaukee paid Sheets $38.5 million for 4 years in 2005 which is $9.6 million per year.

2005 A lot of time on the DL. 10-9

2006 see above. 6-7

2007 On the DL from August to end of the year. 12-5

2008 13-9

2009 Did not play at all.

2010 Receives $10 million from the A's for his past "achievements". Winds up at 4-9 and on the DL in July.

How is that worth $10 million?

This is a bit and you are all falling for it. But I am not.

Suckers.

How about that R.A. Dickey?:dancing

I'm sure Oakland had an insurance policy on the contract.

Maybe. Maybe not. Insurance companies won't always insure athletes with a history of injuries, especially a recent history. In a case like Sheets, if there was insurance, the policy either didn't cover much, had high deductables, or high premiums. Most likely the insurance wasn't worth it, so they didn't buy any. They made a high risk investment and it didn't return. It happens a lot. At least it was only one season.

In fact, Milwaukee paid Sheets $38.5 million for 4 years in 2005 which is $9.6 million per year.

2005 A lot of time on the DL. 10-9

2006 see above. 6-7

2007 On the DL from August to end of the year. 12-5

2008 13-9

2009 Did not play at all.

2010 Receives $10 million from the A's for his past "achievements". Winds up at 4-9 and on the DL in July.

How is that worth $10 million?

What part of Jules post did you not get? He may have had his pitching arm amputated, if someone pays him $10 million or $10,000, that's what he's worth.

What part of Jules post did you not get? He may have had his pitching arm amputated, if someone pays him $10 million or $10,000, that's what he's worth.

What someone is "Worth" is not necessarily the same as what someone is going to get paid.

I understand completely what he means, but why do people say so and so was "over paid" or he was "under paid"? What they mean is that he was "worth" more or less than what they got him for.

In the end, Sheets was not "worth" the $10 million, although that's how much they paid him.

Guest Jules

What someone is "Worth" is not necessarily the same as what someone is going to get paid.

Actually, it is.

I understand completely what he means, but why do people say so and so was "over paid" or he was "under paid"? What they mean is that he was "worth" more or less than what they got him for.

Those people are idiots.

In the end, Sheets was not "worth" the $10 million, although that's how much they paid him.

Hindsight and all that.

Is it "worth" it to spend $250 for nose bleeds to see Neil Diamond?

Sure, that is how much they are worth, but they are not necessarily "worth" plopping down $250 to see him through binoculars or beer goggles.