Super Bowl Halftime

I think someone mentioned ZZ Top (on another message board I am on). But didn't they already play a Super Bowl show?

ZZ Top did the halftime show in '97 (Pats/Packers), along with the bastardized Blues Brothers (and others I think).

I remember thinking how odd it was that ZZ Top was there, since the halftime show was usually some fucked up Up With People shit. I didn't realize then that it was beginning of a new phase of the halftime show.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZZ Top did the halftime show in '97 (Pats/Packers), along with the bastardized Blues Brothers (and others I think).

I remember thinking how odd it was that ZZ Top was there, since the halftime show was usually some fucked up Up With People shit. I didn't realize then that it was beginning of a new phase of the halftime show.

Is that when it began?

I don't recall bands playing in the olden days.

The Who's Pete Townshend: The Super Bowl Q&A (2 Pages)

How did you and Roger Daltrey decide to play the Super Bowl halftime Show?

We thought about it quite hard. I think Roger was doubtful that we should do it this year. We played Australia last year in March and we were considering going on and doing some more touring, and quite a lot later on this year. And then I got quite engrossed in writing, and told Roger that I would probably need another year to write. So we cancelled plans for this year. We were going to play at Coachella, the New Orleans Jazz festival, we had all kinds of things planned, so I persuaded Roger we should do the Super Bowl to kick those events off. And then decided that I couldn't do that work later this year because I felt I had to continue to write. So this must have been on the cards for quite a long time, but I think we made a final decision to go ahead in October or something like that.

Book these folks before they get too hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FxEcdJETPk&NR=1

Super Bowl 2011 Bound!! :thumbup

All kinds of awesomeness! I love the idea of sonically assaulting a captive audience. The guy spinning and dancing was a nice touch :).

Next year they'll have some American Idol auditions during halftime, and let the crowd vote the contestants up or down.

Ugh. I'm really sorry my brain even thought of that.

How about: voting on finalists leading up to the game, and winner is announced/performs at halftime. I guess FOX would have to have the game for that.

How about: voting on finalists leading up to the game, and winner is announced/performs at halftime. I guess FOX would have to have the game for that.

Fox does have the Super Bowl next year. ;)

Am I mistaken, or did the who get a shorter time segment than previous acts?

Maybe it just seemned shorter since I like The Who.

Since the Super Bowl has become known for extra special commercials, there's no incentive at all to produce a half time show that people want to tune in for.

Nope, they got about 12 minutes, which is average.

Yes, it is 12 minutes because I remember U2 fans bitching back in 02 that they "wasted" a slot with MLK (when they listed the 9/11 victims).

Fans were like "they easily could have done another "Real" song instead."

Guided By Voices

they would slay

and they could do like 17 songs in the 12-minute slot

"Hey, good thing they didn't pick Bright Eyes to do the halftime show. They SUCK! This one's called Game of fucking Pricks. Hope you guys are fucked up. Enjoy the second half! Manning's a fucking pussy! One-two-three-four ... "I've waited too long to have you hide in the back of me....")

I enjoyed the Who last night (in relative terms for "enjoying" the Super Bowl Halftime. First of all, the late 90's when it became top 40 R&B, Rap, Boy Band, Pop Tarts was awful. I don't get any of that. Not in a snobby way, just in a plain and simple completely lost on me way. Did anyone see Jay Z and Rhianna right before kickoff. That is what I'm talking about. I don't get that? Are people really moved by Jay Z going "yeah" over the top of some overblown arrangement and pretty female vocal.

All that being said, watching the Who did make me sad on some level. The older I get the more I'm convinced that Rock and Roll is for the young. I can't think of many bands that I would pick the later in life work over their output in their 20's to early 30's. And for the truly aging rock stars, I don't know anyone who pulls this off. I'll admit that Neil hasn't lost the voice or the chops, but his songwriting as of the last 15 years has been inconsistent at best. I don't know, I just would rather focus on people in their prime, because the more I explore the later years output, I just get a bad taste in my mouth.

boy this sounds ageist.

All that being said, watching the Who did make me sad on some level. The older I get the more I'm convinced that Rock and Roll is for the young. I can't think of many bands that I would pick the later in life work over their output in their 20's to early 30's. And for the truly aging rock stars, I don't know anyone who pulls this off. I'll admit that Neil hasn't lost the voice or the chops, but his songwriting as of the last 15 years has been inconsistent at best. I don't know, I just would rather focus on people in their prime, because the more I explore the later years output, I just get a bad taste in my mouth.

boy this sounds ageist.

Some say Jeff Beck is beter than ever. I haven't heard any of his recent albums, so I can't vouch.

Incidentally, he's about to tour the US again, so I'll finally get to see him.

Damn, I love the Who.

I'd rate that performance:

Pinball Wizard - B

Baba O'Riley - A

Who Are You - B

Won't Get Fooled Again - A

Yea, a sold B+ over all, which is better than groups like this usually do (like the Rolling Stones...). Given that they are now pretty old, I enjoyed the show. Truly though it is time for younger artists to be slotted in. But given everything, it was a good time for me. (Considering I was still a teenager when the Who had their first hits, it might be time to bring some younger folks on....)

LouieB

boy this sounds ageist.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand this kind of reasoning. First, and using the Who as an example, they played tunes yesterday that are part of that output from their 20s/30s. Second, they still rock. Like the Stones, they can still create a big sound with spirtited versions of their work. So we saw some of Pete's belly and Daltrey can't hit some of the same notes. I think it's awesome when folks like The Who are out there still plaing and still sounding pretty damn good. Nice that they are still around and still doing R&R that has aome kick to it.