Super Bowl Halftime

Well to each his own, Dr.No. In their prime The Who would wipe the floor with Bruce or Prince. Now, The Who are well past their prime - but so is Bruce...and Prince I never gave two shits about that guy.

I will agree that Fogerty would be a good choice for '11, though.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was completely flat and awful. Then again, I don't really like the Who. But still, "more exciting" than Springsteen? "More exciting" than Prince? No way.

I nominate John Fogerty for 2011. I think he's the last classic rocker who could mount anything close to the Prince/Springsteen/U2 halftime shows, because he can actually rock.

In the meantime I'm just gonna buy up My Morning Jacket albums and hope they're big enough to do it by 2020 or so. Or maybe the Arcade Fire.

As "Wake Up" is all over the NFL ads for the draft and played in the stadium several times today, I think the Arcade Fire would be an inspired choice.

Next year is Dallas I bet we get George Strait or maybe Jack Ingram and Pat Green.

Well to each his own, Dr.No. In their prime The Who would wipe the floor with Bruce or Prince. Now, The Who are well past their prime - but so is Bruce...and Prince I never gave two shits about that guy.

I will agree that Fogerty would be a good choice for '11, though.

I'm a massive Who fan. And yes, they were always a tremendous live act. Hell, they were terrific when I saw them a few years back.

But I personally don't think they can touch Prince as a live act. I've not had the pleasure of seeing him in person, but ever bootleg I've seen/heard has blown me away. The guy has more talent than most anyone else out there.

I could see Fogerty doing this as well.

They were great, but Prince remains the very best Super Bowl halftime show yet.

yup.

There was as much Rock & Roll on the half-time stage yesterday as there could be. Of course the vocals weren't perfect, these guys are old. They can still rock out better than just about anybody, imo. I liked it.

What we were hearing was the mix made for TV. So I think that is one of the reasons is sounded the way it did. There is speculation that the scream was not live. It would not surprise me. Still, I thought it was great.

At first, I thought the rhythm guitarist was Joe Satriani.

I also detected some synch problems. During the harmonica part of Who Are You, Zach Starkey didn't appear to be playing what I was hearing. I'll bet there was a time delay during that song because it contains the F word. There were also several instances where the audio cut out entirely.

At first, I thought the rhythm guitarist was Joe Satriani.

I also detected some synch problems. During the harmonica part of Who Are You, Zach Starkey didn't appear to be playing what I was hearing. I'll bet there was a time delay during that song because it contains the F word. There were also several instances where the audio cut out entirely.

That is Pete's brother, Simon.

Simon Townshend – rhythm guitar

Pino Palladino – bass

Zak Starkey – drums

John "Rabbit" Bundrick – keyboards

I'd say Kiss or AC/DC should be up there next.

I thought they sounded pretty good for past-their-prime Who, and as good as Baba O'Riley sounded, it didn't do nearly the justice it could have to how awesome that song is live. Seeing them play that live is one of the best live music experiences I've ever had. Zak's cymbals did kick ass though.

Oh, and I agree that Prince kicked all kinds of ass during his halftime show. I'd love to see a younger act get a chance to play the halftime show, but I realize that isn't very likely.

I'd say Kiss or AC/DC should be up there next.

My girlfriend mentioned AC/DC last night for next years Super Bowl. I could see that happening for sure. Of course they could just as easily go for someone like Coldplay or Black Eyed Peas. One thing we can be sure of, it won't be Wilco :D.

There is speculation that the scream was not live.

I doubt it was live. They didn't show Daltrey on TV at that point, and normally you'd figure they would have a closeup on him as the scream happened ... so I just figured it had been pre-recorded.

Judging from the ticket prices I just saw for his upcoming show here, apparently Ray Davies needs money. Maybe he can convince his brother to play a one-off Kinks reunion at next year's game.

I think someone mentioned ZZ Top (on another message board I am on). But didn't they already play a Super Bowl show?

(I have not really watched a football game since the early 1980s, so without looking it up, I don't know.)

Guest Speed Racer

That performance was terrible. Daltrey looked out of breath for most of the performance (I would bet my first-born that scream was not live), and Pete could sing alright but clearly forgot several lyrics. That was the worst halftime show I think I've ever seen.

I have to agree with your “to each their own” comment. I’ve seen all three acts including Bruce in his prime and The Who still pretty close to their prime. I think who wipes the floor with whom is totally a personal preference thing – all three are (or at least were) superb live. All I am saying is give Prince a chance.