Super Bowl Halftime

Damn, Aman, that is some cool shit! (talking to Pete)

I tend to agree that if he was involved in any truly bad stuff they would've nailed him for it. Regardless of who he is.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, Aman, that is some cool shit! (talking to Pete)

I tend to agree that if he was involved in any truly bad stuff they would've nailed him for it. Regardless of who he is.

I asked him a question, and he answered me. I can't recall the circumstances exactly. I think it was that he had the comments section open on his blog for a while.

For those XM/Sirius subscribers, another nice thing about The Who playing the halftime. Gives me a good reason to turn off the Grateful Dead channel.

LIMITED ENGAGEMENT: THE WHO CHANNEL

The Who Channel, a commercial-free music channel featuring music, performances and interviews celebrating the career of one of the most iconic rock bands of all time, takes over Deep Tracks from Thursday, February 4 at 3 pm ET to until Monday, February 8 at 11:59 pm ET.

The Who Channel features a live broadcast of the band’s on-field halftime performance at Super Bowl XLIV and plays music spanning The Who’s five-decade-long career, from their debut in 1965 through the band’s latest releases: The Who Greatest Hits, the career-spanning compilation, and The Who Greatest Hits Live, a collection of previously unreleased and newly mixed concert recordings from throughout the band’s entire career. (For more information, go to thewho.com ) You will also hear exclusive interviews with the band members and broadcasts of live concert performances from the band’s massive archive.

On Friday, February 5 at 2 pm ET, tune in to hear an exclusive, in-depth interview between SIRIUS|XM host and noted music journalist Dave Marsh and The Who’s Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey.

After this year's halftime show with The Who, I think it's time to put J. Jackson's nipple in the past and modernize the halftime entertainment. I enjoyed Petty, B. Spring, P. Mac and the Stones (well, no, they sounded terrible) but can the SB continually dip into that well?

Next year's halftime performance/entertainment...ideas?

Fleetwood Mac

ABBA

Eagles

Hall and Oates

Beach Boys

Loggins and Messina

Loggins and Messina

:rock.

Coldplay, R.E.M. The Police are all logical candidates, but I think since it's in Indianapolis next year, it might be time for Mr. "This is Our Country," himself, John Cougar Mellencamp to get the nod. Also Dylan seems to obvious that it has happen within the next couple of years.

--Mike

Black Sabbath with Ozzy.

:wub

:rock.

Coldplay, R.E.M. The Police are all logical candidates, but I think since it's in Indianapolis next year, it might be time for Mr. "This is Our Country," himself, John Cougar Mellencamp to get the nod. Also Dylan seems to obvious that it has happen within the next couple of years.

--Mike

I don't see Dylan doing it, honestly. The NFL wants the big, recognizable songs, and Dylan won't deliver that.

If he did do it, I don't see it being well reviewed.

Paul Rodgers is not in Queen anymore. He is back doing shows with Bad Company.

I doubt Ozzy will ever play with Black Sabbath again, due to the lawsuit he filed last year. Although, you never know. The dude can't sing anymore anyhow.

I can't see The Police ever playing together again. I say this after reading Stewart Copeland's book. I am amazed they made it through the reunion tour.

I would think John Mellencamp will be up there at some point.

I don't see Dylan doing it, honestly. The NFL wants the big, recognizable songs, and Dylan won't deliver that.

If he did do it, I don't see it being well reviewed.

Forever Young has been in that Pepsi/NFL commerical all season. He's one of the few artists I can think of that's big enough to do it, that hasn't yet, but I am not sure how he'd work in that environment.

Forever Young has been in that Pepsi/NFL commerical all season. He's one of the few artists I can think of that's big enough to do it, that hasn't yet, but I am not sure how he'd work in that environment.

Yes, but using a 30+ year old Dylan song in a commercial is worlds apart from using today's Dylan as a halftime performer. Like I said, the halftime show should have big hits that the crowd will recognize almost instantly, and Dylan's live show doesn't give that these days.

I think he's smart enough to know this, too. He is big enough, yeah, but it just wouldn't go over well in that setting.

Damn, I love the Who.

I'd rate that performance:

Pinball Wizard - B

Baba O'Riley - A

Who Are You - B

Won't Get Fooled Again - A

I love The Who - but here in Australia the sound was way out of synch on the half-time broadcast. Kinda runined it - which was a real shame. Any synch problems on US TV?

Damn, I love the Who.

I'd rate that performance:

Pinball Wizard - B

Baba O'Riley - A

Who Are You - B

Won't Get Fooled Again - A

:cheers With all due respect to the bands that have come before, The Who live is one of the greatest things Rock music has ever produced.

It was a bit rough, but still more exciting than any other band that's ever played in the SB (imo).

:cheers With all due respect to the bands that have come before, The Who live is one of the greatest things Rock music has ever produced.

It was a bit rough, but still more exciting than any other band that's ever played in the SB (imo).

I thought it was completely flat and awful. Then again, I don't really like the Who. But still, "more exciting" than Springsteen? "More exciting" than Prince? No way.

I nominate John Fogerty for 2011. I think he's the last classic rocker who could mount anything close to the Prince/Springsteen/U2 halftime shows, because he can actually rock.

In the meantime I'm just gonna buy up My Morning Jacket albums and hope they're big enough to do it by 2020 or so. Or maybe the Arcade Fire.