Roger Waters to tour The Wall

Wright drifted after Wish You Were Here for various reasons. He does play on the Wall though, but there are no writing credits for him with the band after Wish You Were Here until The Division Bell.

It's also important to understand that Roger and David also played keyboards, and Wright was not always behind them. Waters loved the EMS VCS3 synthesizer.

This list of who played keys/synth on the Wall is interesting. The link also gives lots more detail on other albums:

http://www.canadianpinkfloyd.com/blog/2009/11/who-played-what-episode-1-keyboards-on.html

cool. thanks for the link. can't wait to check this out.

as far as gilmour goes, i think he's supposed to play a European gig.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was some buzz earlier that Gilmour was going to show up at a show at some point on this tour. Has that happened yet? Any word on when that will possibly be?

Waters has confirmed Gilmour will be playing a U.S. date. All guesses were at Chicago or NY, but with those passed I think it's looking like LA, where they toured the original and recorded parts of the album.

jff-i'm going downtown to phillips and try for a cheap ticket. you going to this show?

I don't have a ticket. When is it? It'd have to be super cheap for me to justify it, not that it isn't worth face value. We're hoping to relocate next year and we're being pretty strict with our spending these days.

Well, the show in Columbus last night was incredible. The guy was amazing. I knew the show would be over the top, but I didn't know what to expect from Roger himself. Singing was great, and more of a showman than I expected. The music was perfect. Band was great. I thought it wasn't quite loud enough at first, but as the show went on it built up nicely, and by the time they got to Comfortably Numb it was just perfectly body-shaking loud. If you haven't seen it, you simply need to go.

The crowd was a bit laid back (duh), and it was nice to look around and see maybe 1 in 5 people there were actually OLDER than me. Doesn't happen a lot for me at rock concerts. One minor downer was that the seats were upper deck, so some of the view was chopped up by speaker banks and puppets. Also, there was an over-zealous security guy standing on the rail by the stairs who was right in my line of sight far too often. But really it was a great show and I'm seriously giving consideration to heading down to the Atlanta show on Nov 18. Only 6 hours from here, so an overnighter... Columbus was 3 1/2 & so we just did a road trip. Hmmm....

Father-daughter bonding moment of the evening: As we were leaving after the show, we casually peeked in on the guys tearing down the stage and packing up all the cardboard blocks and some of the props. There is an easy chair with a lamp next to it that comes out of the wall on a platform and that Roger sits in while he sings "Nobody Home". That chair and lamp were just sitting in an area by a doorway where stuff was getting staged up to load out. So, my daughter plops down in the chair with big grin, and I got her picture in it. She now gets to claim that she and Roger shared a chair. I told her she probably has Roger's butt-sweat on her jeans. She may never wash them again...

Father-daughter bonding moment of the evening: As we were leaving after the show, we casually peeked in on the guys tearing down the stage and packing up all the cardboard blocks and some of the props. There is an easy chair with a lamp next to it that comes out of the wall on a platform and that Roger sits in while he sings "Nobody Home". That chair and lamp were just sitting in an area by a doorway where stuff was getting staged up to load out. So, my daughter plops down in the chair with big grin, and I got her picture in it. She now gets to claim that she and Roger shared a chair. I told her she probably has Roger's butt-sweat on her jeans. She may never wash them again...

That is great.

Waters has confirmed Gilmour will be playing a U.S. date. All guesses were at Chicago or NY, but with those passed I think it's looking like LA, where they toured the original and recorded parts of the album.

As much as I'd love LA (I have tix for two shows), there is still that one more NY show. MSG. My money's on that one.

One more thing and I'll quit blithering.

Listening to this record start to finish with thousands of other people who also really love it was pretty cool too. You kinda forget how special a record The Wall really is, but being surrounded by that many others who feel a strong connection to is a great experience. It's easy to see why that record is so beloved by so many.

Love hearing the rave reviews as I have tickets for Nov. 23rd. The wall was a huge album for me growing up. A friend and I used to close a pizza place every night. We would end up throwing on the wall, playing video games, and drinking all the owners beer. Did this for months. I think I can still sing along with every word on that album.

Theashtraysays - Cool story about getting a picture in Roger's chair!

I may go to the show on November 6 at MSG. if I do, I'll be attending with my 80+ year old landlord (who loves Dark Side of the Moon) and his son. should be an interesting evening!

That chair and lamp were just sitting in an area by a doorway where stuff was getting staged up to load out. So, my daughter plops down in the chair with big grin, and I got her picture in it. She now gets to claim that she and Roger shared a chair. I told her she probably has Roger's butt-sweat on her jeans. She may never wash them again...

SOOO VERY COOL!!! :thumbup

Richard was pretty much a session musician in the band between 1979 and 1987, until he became a full time member for the Division Bell

I think I read somewhere that Richard, being a hired hand, was the only one who made money on the Wall shows. Waters and Gilmour lost money.

I think I read somewhere that Richard, being a hired hand, was the only one who made money on the Wall shows. Waters and Gilmour lost money.

true!.

i dont know what Mason made. he would have made enough considering all he gave to the band was some clocks, a cash register, and threatening to cut us all into tiny little pieces, one of these days!. still you gotta love him

true!.

i dont know what Mason made. he would have made enough considering all he gave to the band was some clocks, a cash register, and threatening to cut us all into tiny little pieces, one of these days!. still you gotta love him

:lol

I was listening to Wish You Were Here this morning. Mason was never flashy, technically impressive, or even particularly creative drummer (aside from a creative spurt circa Saucer Full of Secrets).

BUT one thing he excelled at, and which most drummers fail at (and I say this AS a drummer), is that he was absolutely amazing at playing appropriately for the song, in terms of dynamics and shifts in tempo. Mason knew when to sit out for long stretches, when to pause for a moment, when to come in at excatly the right moment, etc. These are the types of things that heighten the emotional impact of a piece of music.

A lot of drummers just go doo-pah-doo-pah-doo-pah-doo-pah for three minutes at at time and call it music.

I agree with this. But his performance in that Live at Pompeii film is rather powerful.. his scenes (performance) are the greatest thing about that film.

Most of that is the material I was referring to as his creative high point. He never did anything like that before or since, that I can recall...except for maybe on his solo albums, which I've never heard.

true!.

Pink Floyd minutiae: The cash register at the beginning on "Money" is the same one the Beatles used on "Yellow Submarine"

Pink Floyd minutiae: The cash register at the beginning on "Money" is the same one the Beatles used on "Yellow Submarine"

012305_johnny_carson_alone.jpg

That is some weird wild stuff.

I never knew that although it makes sense. Someday I would like to just wander around Abbey Road and touch stuff. I wonder where that register is now? R&R HOF?

• 2 weeks later...

i'm going downtown to try to get a ticket outside next thursday in atlanta. we'll see. i usually have pretty good luck with that. i wonder if it's sold out. ironically, i've been listening to the Final Cut the last few weeks. i'd like to hear him tour that one. btw, didn't know there was an extra tune inserted on Final Cut with the 2001 remaster. When Tigers Broke Free. i only had passing familiarity with the original version. was this a big issue for floyd fans?

i'm going downtown to try to get a ticket outside next thursday in atlanta. we'll see. i usually have pretty good luck with that. i wonder if it's sold out. ironically, i've been listening to the Final Cut the last few weeks. i'd like to hear him tour that one. btw, didn't know there was an extra tune inserted on Final Cut with the 2001 remaster. When Tigers Broke Free. i only had passing familiarity with the original version. was this a big issue for floyd fans?

from what Ive heard, its not hard to score a ticket outside, at least up here in NY/NJ

I love the final cut, Id love to hear that one as well.

Ive been watching songs from the original wall show on you tube.

the videos index one after the other-VERY COOL