What % of your listening goes towards Wilco and band member related groups?

Guest Speed Racer

Just wondering. I have about 190 gigs of music and I'd have to say at least fourty percent goes to Wilco and band member projects. Is this musically healthy?

I'm at near-50%, so I'd say you're right where you should be.

Actually I don't do torrent or any file sharing, thats just my cd's and some itunes and stuff friends burned for me. I just always find myself reaching for a Wilco disc, or Loose Fur or smog or something. I probably only have maybe 5 live shows. I'm scared to do the file sharing, I'm not pc smart enough to not fry my pc.

I'd estimate that Wilco, Dylan & The Beatles (and all things related) take up roughly 80% of my musical collection. Dylan takes the lead, followed by Wilco.

I would agree with Dylan, The Beatles and Wilco taking up most of my space too. Although, Wilco is probably in 1st in my case - I have collected lots of live shows... I just can't get enough, it's like an addiction.

i think people are confusing '% of listening time' with '% of record collection'

i can never devote a substantial amount of listening time to just a single artist, though i have been playing a ton of Wilco lately.

but, $300 worth of records just showed up in the post a couple of days ago, so i'm digging into that (1st record i put on was a great 10" from a band called The Amazing, who has the drummer and lead guitarist from Sweden's Dungen...great stuff).

Guest Speed Racer

My iTunes library is all mp3 format. I probably have well over a hundred live Wilco/Tweedy shows, and my 55GB library has about 20GB of Wilco-related stuff.

i think people are confusing '% of listening time' with '% of record collection'

i can never devote a substantial amount of listening time to just a single artist, though i have been playing a ton of Wilco lately.

but, $300 worth of records just showed up in the post a couple of days ago, so i'm digging into that (1st record i put on was a great 10" from a band called The Amazing, who has the drummer and lead guitarist from Sweden's Dungen...great stuff).

Well - as far as listening percentage... I definitely don't always listen to just Wilco, but I definitely listen to them a bit everyday - some days I might not listen to other artists, but only Wilco.

I feel like a Venn diagram would be helpful with this equation. I don't think I can boil it down to a percentage.

There was about a 6 month period in 2002 where I was as close to 100% as I've ever been with anyone. I'm talking weeks at a time without anything else, mostly YHF.

I go through phases where I listen to Wilco frequently. However, on average I'd say they rank just slightly above any other random band I enjoy. I have no idea what the percentage would be. There's too much music out there - I can't spend all my time listening to one band.

I have 22% of my 72 gb devoted to Wilco et. al. That is side projects, solo albums, live shows, eps, and the like. I would say that my listening time is much more spread out, unless I just got a new live show. But really when ever I get something new I listen to it for about a week straight. I do listen to a lot of music everyday and usually Wilco manages to sneak in one way or another, but so do Phish, Dylan, The Beatles, and one or more members of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Am I the only one who thinks that Steven Stills is the best of the four?)

and one or more members of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Am I the only one who thinks that Steven Stills is the best of the four?)

Ah...I'd love to agree, but Neil Young still takes the cake for me. But in the context of CSNY, Stills is a close second. Nash, I'm indifferent. Crosby...um...how about The Byrds?

If anyone ever asks what my favorite band is, I don't hesitate to say Wilco. But I doubt Wilco and all their related side projects take up even 3% of my collection. And I probably listen to them at a similar rate.

For every one of my ten favorite bands there's been a period of two month of almost exclusive listening. Here's my current last.fm stats.

Wilco 342

Golden Smog 282

Jeff Tweedy 231

Pearl Jam 104

Elliott Smith 66

PJ Harvey 56

Josh Rouse 48

Aimee Mann 48

The Olivia Tremor Control 36

I've only recently installed this scrobbler feature. 2217 plays in recent history.

Added up this makes for 40% Tweedy!

Ah...I'd love to agree, but Neil Young still takes the cake for me. But in the context of CSNY, Stills is a close second. Nash, I'm indifferent. Crosby...um...how about The Byrds?

I agree with you about Neil, for sure.

However, I think David Crosby's first solo album "If Only I Could Remember My Name" is really quite awesome.

Goes through phases. Since about 2008-ish, I've probably been listening to Loose Fur even more than Wilco. I still have a lot of their stuff on my ipod/in my CD collection, but I'd put the percentage of how much I listen to them at a little under 10. It was as high as 75-80 in the 2004-2006 range of my life, when I was really actively trading, and before I realized how easy it was to download full albums on the interwebs.

--Mike

I listen to a lot of different music and artists, and lately I haven't played any Wilco, so it would likely be less than 1%. Mind you, when a new Wilco disc comes out the percentage jumps up considerably.

If we're counting related groups, I'd have to guess around 50-60% for me most of the time. That's counting Wilco, Jeff solo, Uncle Tupelo, Pronto, Glenn's solo work, the Nels Cline Singers, Nels' solo work and other experimental collaborations, the Geraldine Fibbers, Scarnella, and Carla B.'s solo work that involved Nels.

I can't tell you percentages, but there's alot. And my Ipod does love me -- when it's on Shuffle, it does manage to bring up Wilco alot. One bad day, I put on Shuffle Albums, and it gave me Sky Blue Sky - yes, my Ipdo loves and totally gets me

Sorted just on Wilco(or BB & Wilco), my library showed me 791/8664 (9.12%)

Smart playlist, match any of: cline, autumn defense, loose fur, wilco, tweedy yielded 826/8664 (9.53%)

Same as above, add: uncle tupelo yielded 922/8664 (10.64%)

No doubt that is the highest percentage of any "band".

As for actual listening, right now it's actually a little lower as I've been going through some new (to me) stuff, or the second pass through newer stuff. But I'd say, in general, I listen about 15% of the time. Old 97's are possibly my most listened to, but I haven't grabbed a lot of concerts, so their library percentage is lower.

I can't tell you percentages, but there's alot. And my Ipod does love me -- when it's on Shuffle, it does manage to bring up Wilco alot. One bad day, I put on Shuffle Albums, and it gave me Sky Blue Sky - yes, my Ipdo loves and totally gets me

There is nothing random about my random either.

A couple years ago, the answer probably would have been 90-95%. Somehow Wilco, etc. was the only set of artists I was ever really into. And then came me finding the Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Velvet Underground, and etc. etc. and that number has probably dropped to, like, 10-20% if that. I love Wilco and I put it on, but just not a whole lot anymore. Part of it may be that I've listened to Wilco so much that I don't actually need to hear the record anymore (I can just go through it in my head and enjoy it). Most of it's probably me going crazy discovering all this stuff I'd missed, though.

Wilco still has a good stranglehold on 2nd on my last.fm though:

* The Beatles (8,130 plays)

* Wilco (5,791 plays)

* Bob Dylan (2,047 plays)

* Pavement (1,838 plays)

* Uncle Tupelo (1,590 plays)

* The Velvet Underground (1,260 plays)

* The Band (1,129 plays)

* George Harrison (1,075 plays)

Pavement and the VU are this year's new big men on campus.