Wilco Sydney (Marrickville) 2/5/10

Fucking. Awesome.

Best yet. Considering having my feet amputated as they are getting so sore! Met heaps of fabulous people in line, man there are some interesting wilco fans. The line seems so much more interesting when you stand next to a woman who owns a brothel and happy to share stories. Got there way earlier than I needed to be but man lines can be fun!

Set list

ashes of American flag

bull black nova

I'll fight

company in my back

sonny feeling

war on war

at least that's what you said

country disappeared

handshake drugs

impossible Germany

sunken treasure

less than you think

laminated cat

you and I

box full of letters

nothings ever gunna stand in my way

shot in the arm

Jesus

theologians

man who loves you

Monday

don't forget the flowers

California stars (with Liam)

red eyed/I got you

hoodoo voodoo

kicking television

-----

thank you friends

street (not sure on name I know it as that 70s show song)

On the set list and not played was dreamer in my dreams, would have been great to hear that but with a set list like that I have no complaints. Audience was great, quite funny, pointing out Jeff had the same shirt on and asking if he had showered (actually that shirts had 3 nights in a row) but Jeff says he has 100 of them. Some one then suggested he take it off and the band began playing stripping music - rather well actually.

Two more shows left. John Mayer tommorow night.. No, make that tonight. And Liam Finn solo Tuesday night. 8 concerts in 8 days...3 down.

Liam was great again too, very happy to hear betchadupas Army of birds and gulls. Glenn played drums again on second chance, it will always seem inferior now when he's not there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speechless. 3 new songs to close? I didn't know them anyway. My beautiful, perfect wife got Nels and Jeff's picks at the end. Very happy me.

Great set, not too many double ups from last night. Nice enough venue. Certainly helped get the crowd involved. Hope the recording that was taking place in the middle of the room is shared!

Mike lucky to survive a head knock from the stuffed toy after Nels threw it back at him.

Had both Nels and Liam on the floor tonight'

My ignorance has let me down, didn't recognise hoodoo voodoo or the last two (does that make me a bad fan?). I decided while Glenn was playing for Liam that after 29 years of telling drummer jokes, I wanted to become one. Then I had 2 hours+ standing dead in front of Nels, and now I want to learn to play my guitars.

Btw, how do I delete my topic on an iPhone? Will remove vital evidence from existence.

Meant to also say vocal sound kinda disappeared towards the end. There was a giant wall of sound with just bits of vocals being heard. Thought it was just me maybe, my ears going after too many concerts but outside the others also noticed. I have nothing against a giant wall of sound however... Though as I'm trying to sleep nothing masks the ringing in my ears....

My ignorance has let me down, didn't recognise hoodoo voodoo or the last two (does that make me a bad fan?). I decided while Glenn was playing for Liam that after 29 years of telling drummer jokes, I wanted to become one. Then I had 2 hours+ standing dead in front of Nels, and now I want to learn to play my guitars.

Btw, how do I delete my topic on an iPhone? Will remove vital evidence from existence.

don't worry , I didn't know laminated cat, had to ask the guy behind me. Need to finally listen to those CDs I bought a few months ago. I felt so ashamed....

I agree with you about the all of sound. Found the same thing last night, couldn't understand a word of I'm a Wheel, same tonight. My audiologist wife says that it is temporary hearing thresholds mean that we lose some frequencies in our hearing, therefore losing the vocals. Or something like that... I think everyone just got a little excited!

The line seems so much more interesting when you stand next to a woman who owns a brothel and happy to share stories.

;)

cant wait till Wednesday in Melbourne!. hope we get a lice long set as well!

was it really Kicking TV or I'm a wheel?. i made that mistake back in 2007 when they were here

awesome set list i wanted that for brisbane oh well still great! hope you guys down south are all having an awesome time :) wise enough you must be going crazy good luck with your "holiday"

ashes of American flag

sunken treasure

less than you think

laminated cat

you and I

box full of letters

Monday

don't forget the flowers

red eyed/I got you

hoodoo voodoo

kicking television

If they really did play KT, holy crap! And if they would have been able to play Dreamer....WOW!

WOW!!! That's one of the best setlists of this tour!

Wise Enough, did they do the album version of Sunken Treasure or the "hybrid" Jeff solo but with the band?

And was Laminated Cat done acoustically or not? If it was full blown electric the ramifications of that is huge for the future of that song: this means they won't just drop it after the Evening With shows.

:thumbup

Fucking. Awesome.

Best yet. Considering having my feet amputated as they are getting so sore! Met heaps of fabulous people in line, man there are some interesting wilco fans. The line seems so much more interesting when you stand next to a woman who owns a brothel and happy to share stories. Got there way earlier than I needed to be but man lines can be fun!

Set list

ashes of American flag

bull black nova

I'll fight

company in my back

sonny feeling

war on war

at least that's what you said

country disappeared

handshake drugs

impossible Germany

sunken treasure

less than you think

laminated cat

you and I

box full of letters

shot in the arm

Jesus

theologians

man who loves you

Monday

don't forget the flowers

California stars (with Liam)

red eyed/I got you

hoodoo voodoo

kicking television

-----

thank you friends

street (not sure on name I know it as that 70s show song)

Best setlist of the year in my humble opinion. Best of all no "Hate It Here", "Walken", "IATMWLY" ending. A real mash-up as well. If you are in the tiny minority of people who come here you go to a show and have a decent idea of what comes next for parts of the set. Not last night. Would love to have heard the gentle version of "Sunken Treasure" after the climatic ending of "Impossible Germany". Likewise "Monday" followed by "Forget The Flowers".

We're gonna need some sort of confirmation, this seems too good to be true, especially after the other Australia/New Zealand setlists seemed so safe. Seriously, They played Kicking Televison, Less Than You Think, Laminated Cat, Sunken Treasure, and didn't play I am Trying to break your heart? Seems a bit fishy, but if it is real, could be the best Wilco setlist i have ever seen (maybe excluding a few of the evening with shows).

Would love to have heard the gentle version of "Sunken Treasure" after the climatic ending of "Impossible Germany".

You mean they played the version of Sunken Treasure with the electric rocking dissonant solo?

WOW!!! That's one of the best setlists of this tour!

Wise Enough, did they do the album version of Sunken Treasure or the "hybrid" Jeff solo but with the band?

And was Laminated Cat done acoustically or not? If it was full blown electric the ramifications of that is huge for the future of that song: this means they won't just drop it after the Evening With shows.

:thumbup

I havent heard the acoustic version but it was typical band setup, jeff playing acoustic.

And i can basically confirm the setlist. Not 100%, my memory isnt that good, but it looks right to me.

As i said though, they played outtasite after i got you.

And i can basically confirm the setlist. Not 100%, my memory isnt that good, but it looks right to me.

As i said though, they played outtasite after i got you.

Yep they ripped into outtasite after I got you.

General Merriment.

Hey guys, I was there last nite, awesome nite. Really diverse setlist, it's the 5th time I've seen them and I think I counted 11 songs that I'd never heard them play before!

Anyways, to answer some questions:

Yes they did play Kicking TV (holy shit)

Yes they did play Laminated Cat in an electrified way (holy shit)

Yes they did play Outtasite straight after I Got You (holy shit)

Yes they did play the Being There version of Sunken Treasure (holy shit)

Once I get my brain together and finish a day of work urgh I'll report back on more

Mike

Yes they did play Kicking TV (holy shit)

Yes they did play Laminated Cat in an electrified way (holy shit)

Holy shit indeed. WOW. If anybody wonders why people travel for concerts, this is why. You never know what you might never hear anywhere else. I can only hope these stick around until August. (It's only May 2nd?)

Two nights in a row is always special....and when they only repeat a handful of songs, you know you have made the right choice to submerge yourself in Wilco.

Highlights....Hoodoo and the duelling guitars of Pat and Nels...and Flowers/California Stars/Red Eyed/I Got You leading into Hoodoo had me wondering what year it was!

Fabulous night(s) even if Jeff only has ONE shirt!

I can't believe you guys thought I was shitting you with that set list... Where's the trust now days? I did looove me some kicking television. You have to remember every person at that gig had been at the state theatre concert, the only way to get in was buy a premium ticket. They couldn't double up on much, just a few key songs that we never get tired of hearing. And I AM having a fabulous holiday. Though mildly miffed no one believed my set list!

I am slightly kicking myself for booking the 2 shows in Melbourne and not going to the Sydney shows, given one was the evening with Wilco show. Especially now I've seen the setlist...

Just means I'll have to go to more Wilco shows.

Anyone been to The Forum in Melbourne? It looks to be a great place.

The Thursday show is the last of this part of the tour, so hopefully we'll get something extra special. Kicking Television would be great.

I have witnessed one of the finest shows I have ever seen. It has lead me to taking the day off from work today. I can't hear a thing and can't talk but I'm not calling it a sick day. I'm calling it a Wilco day. I need this day to think about what it was that I saw taking place before me last night.

I probably shouldn't be writing this now as these thoughts are only partly-formed but I'll throw a few of them out there.

The Factory is only a small venue in Sydney's inner-west. I think it'd hold around 400 people (?) so being a sold out gig, there was electricty & anticipation in the air. Overheard many discussions beginning with, "Hey, do you think they'll play...?"

OK, some thoughts:

* First up, my memory isn't good for order but that setlist looks spot on. And, yes, I'm pretty sure Outtasite was in there after I Got You.

* Got a great spot down the front on the barrier, directly in front of John.

* Wonderful to hear Ashes of American Flags as an opener. Beautiful way to start the night.

* I haven't been listening to Wilco of late. So when I heard the intros to songs I had "forgotten" - Company in My Back, War On War - well, it felt like coming home.

* I will never tire of hearing ALTWYS live. Never.

* Sunken Treasure went to some far out beautiful sonic places.

* It was one of the greatest privileges of my concert-going life to stand in front of John Stirratt and watch/listen to him sing the harmony to Less Than You Think.

* Pat gave a nice little Feisty call & response on You and I. In fact, the band were really letting loose/fooling around last night. A fair degree of Nels falling down on stage, Jeff and Pat doing those little Bonnie Prince Billy one legged kicks in the air during solos. Lottsa fun.

* Opening chords to Box Full Of Letters rang out and I melted. I don't really analyse set-lists from previous shows so I don't know how often this is played but it is a fine, beautifully crafted song. And it rocks out, too.

* Shot in the Arm - little funny looks & smiles between Jeff and Pat as Pat played some variation on the piano riff during the outro. A mistake? It probably was but sounded great. Pat looked sheepish but wore a huge grin.

* Whole crowd sing-a-long to Jesus etc. sounded nice. Must be a buzz to have a room full of people singing your song back to you.

* Business end of the set was relentlessly powerful. They just kept it coming. Guitar duelling on Hoodoo Voodoo allowed for some great hamming it up from Pat & Nels. Nels may be more technically proficient but Pat's playing is just so soulful and damned elegant.

* The encore may have been the highlight for me. When I heard guitar riff for Thank You Friends...well, I still don't know what to type here. Alex Chilton was channeled in some way. Would've loved to have heard It's Just That Simple but was rewarded with hearing John sing this song (well, sharing the singing with Pat & Jeff). Big Star probably not so well known in Australia but I was in heaven. So for that to be followed up with In the Street (John on lead vox again), my night was made.

That's all I've got. I'm sure more will come in the next few days or so but I've been floored by this wonderful band yet again.