Great LPs with crappy openers

Ryan Adams Political Scientist (LOVE IS HELL)

top 10 all time record for me and that song is atroscious

Yes!! I thought I was the only person who felt this way.

Love is Hell seems to a favorite of many fans, but for me Political Scientist has always held it back from being the best it could be. If the song was somewhere in the middle it wouldn't be such a big deal, but when an album starts off with such a bad song it alters the whole listening experience for me. I don't want to press play and hear a song I don't like right off the bat.

Beastie Boys - "To All the Girls" (Paul's Boutique)

Although, to be fair, while it isn't much of a song, per se... it does set the stoner kinda mood for the record. So: crappy song as an opener, but it works in it's own way. (I always kinda consider "Shake Your Rump" to be the real first song on the album, anyway. And that would qualify as one of the BEST.)

Although, to be fair, while it isn't much of a song, per se... it does set the stoner kinda mood for the record. So: crappy song as an opener, but it works in it's own way. (I always kinda consider "Shake Your Rump" to be the real first song on the album, anyway. And that would qualify as one of the BEST.)

I thought about posting this one, but I sort of like To all the Girls. Your post mirrors my feelings towards the album.

I just read the 33 & 1/3 book on Paul's Boutique. I learned a lot about them and their friends/associates, that time period and the making of the record. Somehow I got it into my head a long time ago that the Beasties were playing the instruments on that tune. Turns out that's not the case. :stunned It's an Idris Muhammed drum sample and a Bob James electric piano sample.

The old me would have said

The Beatles/White Album: Back in the USSR.

But Back in the USSR, while still not one of my favorites, eventually won me over.

Took me a looong time to warm to this tune, too. I think I was just too young to appreciate the playing on it when I was a kid....

Funny, I think To All The Girls is maybe the best opener (and coda) ever.

i'm waiting for someone to mention Wiggle Wiggle from Dylan's Under the red sky.... so i can disagree

on the other hand, Self Portrait!

Are you ACTUALLY saying that you thing Self Portrait is a great album?

Really?

Paul Westerberg - Jingle (Folker)

I half-agree.

Jingle is indeed a crappy intro, but Folker isn't what I'd call a great album. It's an ok album with a couple of great songs and a lot of bleah in between, imo.

There's a point during that intro where the needle is picked up and placed back on the record for longer playing time. If you pay attention you can tell when it happens. I can't remember how I know that but I do. :yay

I believe PB is one of the best albums in the entire history of music and it wouldn't be complete without that opener (and closer).

My vote would have to be for The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) off of Skeletons From The Closet. I know, it's a Best Of but that's the first one that came to me.

Not really a song, but I wish Grandaddy's Just Like The Fambly Cat didn't have the opening "what happened to the family cat?" audio bit. Great album, and I do like how the end segues into Jeez Louise so perfectly, but still. I'd like it a lot more cut in half, or ditched entirely.

I like that opening. I'm one of the few that actually seems to like that whole album. It seemed to get slated abit upon release but I think it stands up well.

i'm waiting for someone to mention Wiggle Wiggle from Dylan's Under the red sky.... so i can disagree

on the other hand, Self Portrait!

O.K. I'll bite: 'Wiggle Wiggle' is a crap song.

'All the tired horses' is a good song.

Other Dylan opening tracks that don't impress me much:

* On A Night Like This;

* Political World;

* Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum;