"The End of the Tour." Jason Segel will receive a few award nominations for his portrayal of David Foster Wallace. Very good film.

Absolutely loved this movie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us were wondering when FX would replay Season 1 of Fargo. It looks like that they're doing 2 episodes in the wee hours of Thursday morning. I'll come back here to edit this post to let you know if they're playing these 1st 2 episodes again. I just caught it in time to DVR it. Otherwise, Xfinity is looking for $1.99 per episode On Demand!

I've seen a lot of indies over the last few weeks and I'll write about those later.

Edit: Episodes 3-5 are on Thursday the 17th starting at 1:06am - 443am EST. It looks like no dice on those first 2 eps airing again anytime over the next few weeks. Excited to watch this series. I need something new to get into soon. Anyone watching Narcos yet? I'll probably also dive into that one soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched "Manos, the Hands of Fate" for the first time since I saw its debut on MST3K back in the early 90s. Hilarious stuff. I think I need a Torgo t-shirt.

306023_gallery_54086cc88e248_jpg_fa_rszd

Yesterday was my younger son's birthday -- he turned 14. He's a big fan of the anime Attack on Titan so, even though we had not heard good things about this flick, he wanted to see it. So, I took him.

It was not good. But, it was entertaining. Plus, seeing a movie like this in a theater full of anime geeks, as we did, there was an additional level of entertainment, with some of the hooting and hollering at the screen. We'll go see Part 2 when it comes out in a month or 2. Yeah. Definitely.

EDIT:

And, I just noticed that the release date on the image says "2018." Boy, did they get that wrong.

So bad you need to go back, eh? 

We recently got cable again for the first time in a while and have been enjoying On Demand's  Paranormal Witness: True Terror before sleep time every night. It really sets you up for a relaxing sleep.

If my library carried it, I'd be watching "Zombeavers" tonite.

Also, really looking forward to seeing "Deathgasm".

Over the last 10 days I have seen 31 movies at the Milwaukee Film Festival.  (Five days still to go!)  So far the two best films I've seen are documentaries: The Look of Silence and Cartel Land.  Both are nuanced sociopolitical portraits that excoriate entire nations for their moral corruption, and both contain startling, how-did-they-get-that footage.

El-club-e1444293864476.jpg

Self-serving silence is what motivates the fallen Catholics who intersect at a seaside monastery in The Club, Pablo Larrain’s severe indictment of the Church in Chile. The residents are mostly disgraced priests sent to the coast by the Church in order to save face, but their comfortable, unholy existence is threatened when a young investigator, Father Garcia, starts asking questions. With its washed-out, colorless cinematography, the movie starts grim and only grows bleaker, culminating in an astonishing sequence of violence and retribution. Larrain flirts with sacrilege—one potent image has Father Garcia washing and kissing the feet of a beaten man—but there’s an authentic anger fueling his allegory of how the Church covered up cases of child sexual abuse, and he’s serious about examining what it truly means to be a person of faith. (It would fit nicely on a triple bill with Calvary and Noah.)

"Wyrmwood" an Aussie zombie/mad max type flick.

Also looking forward to "Deathgasm" if I can ever find a copy.

A friend of mine recommended Wild Tales (Relatos Salvajes) which is an anthology film from Argentina. It you ever wanted to know what The Twilight Zone movie would have been like if Quentin Tarantino directed it, then you should seek this one out. It also reminded me a bit of Black Mirror. It's a black comedy with 6 short stories told over 2 hours. The brisk pacing makes it delightful to watch. Although, you have to hit IMDB or Wikipedia for the names of the short stories or wait until the end credits. 

I finally watched The Phantom Of The Paradise which i fucking loved. It's a shame that this film is only popular in Winnipeg. Look that one up. True story. This predated The Rocky Horror Picture Show by about a year and tanked. It is certainly campy, but the look of the film is incredible with actual locations and sets. Paul Williams is in this as the villain and he wrote the film's music which is fantastic. 

The Martian was an excellent Hollywood confection, but could have been trimmed by about 15 minutes or so. The cast is solid, even if they disappear from the story for long bouts of time. 

Sicario just might be my favorite film of the fall, so far. The story is dark and Benicio Del Toro is amazing. Johann Johannson's score reaches dark low places and Roger Deakins' cinematography is memorable. 

The Green Inferno was an interesting film to sit through. Eli Roth's films force me to look away because he won't cut away from the carnage. I haven't seen any of the films that this film is an obvious homage to, but I don't think that I ever will. I enjoyed that he decided to set the beginning of the story around college campus activism. His current VOD effort, Knock Knock, was much better. The premise leaves Keanu Reeves home alone where 2 young gorgeous women come to his door seeking help. What follows is a morality play set as a fever dream that plays off of any married man's fantasy that soon turns sadomasochistic.

I also got to see the original Evil Dead in a sold out theater last week and it was incredible.