51149RFCCPL.jpg

Had a funny experience last night.  I'm a Wes Anderson fan and thought I had seen all of his movies.  My daughter was going to watch Rushmore last night and I thought I'd watch it again.  I realized about five minutes in that I had never seen it all the way through.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51149RFCCPL.jpg

Had a funny experience last night.  I'm a Wes Anderson fan and thought I had seen all of his movies.  My daughter was going to watch Rushmore last night and I thought I'd watch it again.  I realized about five minutes in that I had never seen it all the way through.  

And?

Where do you rank it amongst his other films?

Public Enemy: Live From Metropolis Studios - I put this one on the other night and loved their performance which was intercut with interview footage. Chuck D yells out to someone in the crowd "I see you out there, man. I'm gonna get you up here to sing some Oasis shit." Lo & behold, it's actually Liam Gallagher in the crowd. Great setlist. Currently on Showtime platforms.

I've also started Comedy Central's Review with Andrew Daly (Eastbound & Down's Principal Cutler) which is hilarious and I can't wait to see them all. The setup is Daly takes "viewer" emails that ask him to experience life events and review them with a 5 star system. It's a remake of an Australian show of the same name that got banned for pushing the envelop. The first episode is "stealing, addiction and prom". The entire first season is easily available on the Comedy Central App. The most current season is on right now and the last episode featured "glory holes".

And?

Where do you rank it amongst his other films?

I loved it.  I would definitely put it near the top.   (Although I'm not sure what I'd put near the bottom.  Life Aquatic maybe?) It was interesting to see some of his signature techniques being developed. 

That is sort of why I bought it. I wanted to watch it - and could not find it streaming on Netflix.

I also recently bought a film I first saw on PBS (of all places) a long time ago - Box of Moonlight (1996).  It's a great film to watch on a Saturday summer evening.

Life Aquatic is my favorite one. I actually bought a dvd of it the other day.

I'm always glad when I see other people loving on that one. It's not my favorite, but I find it really hard to rank them at all. I'm always confused when fans of his flicks aren't that into Aquatic, though.

I'm always glad when I see other people loving on that one. It's not my favorite, but I find it really hard to rank them at all. I'm always confused when fans of his flicks aren't that into Aquatic, though.

I think part of it is due to the fact I use to watch The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid.

I think part of it is due to the fact I use to watch The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid.

My favorite part of it is the character actors. Characters like Willem Dafoe's are so goofy but so perfect.

I recently read Nick Offerman's "Gumption" in which he extolled the virtues of the early 1970s counterculture cult classic "Billy Jack". Since I had somehow never seen that and I kinda like Nick's outlook on life, I put that film on my mental list. Last night after work and walking the dog, food shopping and hopefully destroying a yellow jacket nest that took residence in my roof, I plopped down and flicked on the boobtube to see that "Billy Jack" had just started. I settled in and two hours or so later I turned the TV off, appalled by the laughable travesty I had just endured. I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Maybe I needed to toke up some Mother Nature or be an American Indian or something but I just didn't get it. Don't get me wrong, I love 60s/70s period pieces like Cisco Pike and Easy RIder and many of those bad biker flicks of the time but watching Billy Jack again just aint ever gonna happen.

I did do some reading on Tom after finishing the Offerman book. Interesting guy with quite the "gumption" as Nick would say. Certainly admirable in that respect.

Oh yeah......Howard Hessman's haircut! What a hoot! His bad hair preceded the Spinal Tap guys. That was a laugh out loud moment for me.

• 2 weeks later...

"The End of the Tour." Jason Segel will receive a few award nominations for his portrayal of David Foster Wallace. Very good film.