• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw "The Wrecking Crew" on the big screen last night.

I rented that over the weekend - seemed amateurishly put together - like most of the interview footage was filmed years ago, but only recently put together?

The Carol Kaye parts were great, but overall the doc seemed to lack a narrative story. I got bored. 

Denny Tedesco had trouble licensing all the different tunes, that's why the film took so long to get released. I liked that the core crew worked on everything from Herb Alpert to Sonny & Cher to The Byrds to The Monkees to all those TV theme songs. They were consummate professionals who apparently passed on the RnR lifestyle for the stability of family and home. For what it was, it was a pretty cool snapshot of a specific era of RnR and Pop history.

I noticed a new channel on my line-up last night. It is called LAFF. I guess they have a thing for mid-90s sitcoms. I watched Ellen, Grace Under Fire, and The Drew Carry show. I don't think I have seen any of those since they were on back in the day. 

Just finished season 1 of True Detective.  Amazing.  Loved Mcconaughey's acting throughout.  And Woody was really good too.  Looking forward to actually watching season 2 as it happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished season 1 of True Detective.  Amazing.  Loved Mcconaughey's acting throughout.  And Woody was really good too.  Looking forward to actually watching season 2 as it happens.

Season 2 is good, not great so far (we are at the halfway point). 

Did anyone see the Brian Wilson biopic "Love and Mercy?" I've never been much of a Beach Boys fan (the Sunkist commercial in the early 80's certainly ruined Good Vibrations for a whole generation) but the personal story of Brian Willson is fascinating. Our local theatre was only showing it as a matinee and now it's gone.

Hearing about the movie on Fresh Air was also the first time I realized where Jeff's cover of "Love and Mercy" comes from. Just love it when things come full circle back to Wilco.

Did anyone see the Brian Wilson biopic "Love and Mercy?" I've never been much of a Beach Boys fan (the Sunkist commercial in the early 80's certainly ruined Good Vibrations for a whole generation) but the personal story of Brian Willson is fascinating. Our local theatre was

I quite liked it, I'd give it an 8 out of 10. I was unsure about the John Cusack casting choice, but he acquitted himself well for a guy who frankly doesn't resemble Wilson at all. Paul Dano as the younger Wilson on the other hand, is convincing in look and manner, giving his scenes a more Wilson-esque feel. I particularly loved the Pet Sounds/Smile era scenes. Paul Giamatti as the dispicable Dr. Eugene Landy is also quite good here. Admittedly I'm a big enough of a Beach Boys fan that this had my name all over it, but I think this film would be enjoyable even for non-fans.

Season 2 is good, not great so far (we are at the halfway point). 

I'm intrigued with season 2 so far, but it definitely pales in comparison to season 1. Not sure if it's the writing, or the acting, or a combination... The dreary witch w guitar lounge act always makes us chuckle, and I don't think that's the intention. I don't find any of the leads compelling (writing or acting?), and Vince Vaughn is particularly bad. But... I'm definitely intrigued, and I want to see how it turns out, so, there's that...

I quite liked it, I'd give it an 8 out of 10. I was unsure about the John Cusack casting choice, but he acquitted himself well for a guy who frankly doesn't resemble Wilson at all. Paul Dano as the younger Wilson on the other hand, is convincing in look and manner, giving his scenes a more Wilson-esque feel. I particularly loved the Pet Sounds/Smile era scenes. Paul Giamatti as the dispicable Dr. Eugene Landy is also quite good here. Admittedly I'm a big enough of a Beach Boys fan that this had my name all over it, but I think this film would be enjoyable even for non-fans.

Do you recall the made for TV Beach Boys movie from some years ago?

I'm watching one of my favorite episodes of Due South - The Man Who Knew Too Little (1995).

Do you recall the made for TV Beach Boys movie from some years ago?

Yeah, I recall seeing a couple TV biopics for them over the years. I think One was "Summer Dreams" and another I recall was "The Beach Boys: An American Dream."

Also seen a bunch of Beach Boys docs over the years. Watched one a few months back called The Beach Boys and Satan. It mostly focuses on the Beach Boys, the satan part being a brief tangent about the whole Manson thing.

Watched the premier of season 3 "Under the Dome" last night. After flirting with sanity last season, the writers are back to full fledged crapola. Total schlock but its fun for the family to tear it apart.

After that, we watched an electrical storm rip thru the area. Amazing light show.

I saw Love & Mercy a few weeks before Solid Sound and I loved it, however I had too many things going on to come on here to recommend it. I'm glad that people are seeing it. John Cusack was awesome, but I think that Paul Dano was better. And this is coming from a huge Cusack fan. I love their music, but I didn't read up on the band origins or Brian Wilson, so it was all fresh to me. Well, I had heard about Wilson in the 80s. 

I'm in love with the 2nd season of True Detective. It's the first show since Lost that I'm watching in real time and actually going back to rewatch the episode and not get bored at all. The cross pollination of David Lynch and Michael Mann hooked me first and the last 10 minutes of this season's first episode sealed the deal for me. I love the nightclub scenes. I love how the dynamic is different every week between Semyon & Velcoro in that same booth. Lots of depth in the dialog and character that is yet to be revealed. We're dealing with 3 different tortured souls who can't really reveal themselves to each other just yet, like Cohle & Hart did in their famous car rides. So these awkward conversations that they're having now feel real to me in this dreamlike world that Nic created. The water stains….Bezzerides talks to Chessani's daughter about her own mother's issues, while Velcoro looks on kind of stunned. Instead he chose to comment on her e-cig in their car ride. 

I binge watched the first season last September where I had all the episodes at my perusal and I loved the hell out of it, but it took me a few minutes each episode to tune into McConaughey's southern drawl. I'd certainly love to go back and watch those again. As much as I loved the framing device in the first season, it's nice for the majority of this season to be unfolding in real time. And I felt that they might never solve this case either. 

I don't have any issues with the actors, but I would have loved to have seen fellow Chicagoan John Cusack as Frank Semyon. Hopefully, he's cast if they ever do one of these in Chicago or wherever. That being said I do think that Vince Vaughn is really great. 

Some theories of mine that I'll leave you with: I watched and watched the scene with Paul Woodrugh and his "mom". Something about it bugged the hell out of me. Admittedly at first I thought that this was a prostitute who was lending her living space to Paul to hide out and sometimes he'd sleep with women for money and they liked him. And that still didn't feel right, so I concluded that this is actually his dad post op. "Don't give me all that ma shit. It's too late for that now." And how she spoke of his ex-girlfriends seemed like something of a conversation that one would have with their dad. Not to mention the Clint Eastwood love. Strange, I know, but she comes back this week. 

Why was "Franks & Beans" (Det. Dixon) taking pics of Woodrugh? It's too bad that he's dead now. Holy shit! That shootout was awesome. A bit of an homage to Heat. Wasn't the tracking shot/ambush also in the 4th episode of Season 1? 

I can't be the only one who thought that Velcoro's son might have been Semyon's wife's? The red hair. I don't believe that Semyon is telling the truth to Velcoro about who raped his wife either. I think it was the creepy "loosh" guy that wants to take over for Semyon. 

I think Caspere fathered one of Cheassani's daughters, the one that is at the medical marijuana joint, and he was having an incestual relationship with her. It's very Oedipus Rex, but we have Antigone & Athena as character names. The eyes being gouged out (or burned with acid) and the castration. I also think that the opening Leonard Cohen song is a clue as to who the killer is: "I live among you. Well disguised." In fact, during the first episode it crossed my mind with each character that they could have done this. 

I'm guessing this season will conclude with some allusion to a huge Bohemian Grove sex orgy that will rival Eyes Wide Shut and will be talked about for years to come. 

The mustache appears to be gone. I guess that means that Velcoro is on the upswing, unless if it's a major time jump…..The fact that these are all 8 episodes makes it that much more gratifying on so many levels. 

Wow, you've definitely put more thought into your True Detective experience than I have mine...

Not sure how Velcoro's kid being Semyon's wife's makes sense, but it make me laugh. There's something about fertility and the tainted soil. And I'm sure the story will come back to the missing woman from episode one.

Dixon was in cahoots with the mayor/Vinci bad guys - I think he was there to gather dirt, and to make sure the case didn't go anywhere. 

I've yet to read a review that even mentions Fred Ward. Who doesn't love Fred Ward? I hope he has more to do in the show. 

I agree that Semyon definitely just set Velcoro onto a guy he needed killed, and it wasn't the rapist.

The best impact that I've seen True Detective have - is the opening credits to Key & Peele.

Well, it's certainly possible that Semyon's wife, Jordan, was raped as well and she put her baby up for adoption, while Velcoro's wife, Alicia, had an abortion and kept a lifelong lie to him. Maybe Frank is behind it? Perhaps it happened before Jordan even met Frank? Sounds very soap opera-ish, but neither Velcoro or his wife have the red hair. And maybe deep down Velcoro knows that it isn't really his, but he needs that in his life to ground him. 

I need to rewatch the scene where Vaughn explains why they're doing the in vitro pregnancy and his wife mentioning something cryptic like maybe she can't have kids after all in this last episode. She seemed ready for him, after he pulled out the guy's gold grille. 

I wouldn't call Carcosa or The Yellow King "high society" but I understand what you mean. I guess the first season showed the lower class and this is more along the lines of people in power running a city through vices.