• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only remember The Yellow King sitting on a lawnmower. Hmm. 

Yes, the best part of season 1. She was great and cast well as Carla Gugino's daughter in San Andreas. 

I only remember The Yellow King sitting on a lawnmower. Hmm. 

Yes, the best part of season 1. She was great and cast well as Carla Gugino's daughter in San Andreas. 

lawnmower man was just continuing to perpetuate the crimes - but it was Tuttle (the preacher who was the governor's brother) who had the horrific video tape (and he was killed to keep the secrets silent), and who provided the framework for it all. The sherriff was implicated because he called the investigation to be closed.

Yesterday I was reading this recap of S2E4. 

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/13/true-detective-season-2-recap-shootout/?em_pos=large&emc=edit_nn_20150713&nl=nytnow&nlid=70186580&_r=2

The line about the slow SUV made me laugh (because it's true!), but the article has a link to a scene from S1 - where it introduces Ledoux. I clicked on it, and was reminded why S1 is superior - it was SCARY. That shot of LeDoux out in the field with his gasmask on was creepy as hell. I don't have that same sense of dread about anything in s2, other than dreading another song from that awful lounge act witch. 

But, that scene made me want to watch season 1 all over again.

^^^ That "awful lounge act witch?"  It's all make-up.  Her name is Lera Lynn and if you ever see her in person (I caught her act at The American Music Festival from about 10 feet away), you would be shocked.  In real life she is stunning -- drop dead beautiful.  So much so that my wife wouldn't allow me to take her picture.  Oh, and she is a talented singer and songwriter too!

Rock'n'Roll America

3 x 1 hour lightening tour of the history of rock'n'roll in the 50s and early 60s. Nothing too new to me (except the original lyrics to Tutti Frutti) and way too little time, but great to see and hear some of the tales from new interviews with the talking heads who were there and won't be around much longer - Don Everly, Jerry Lee, members of the Crickets and Presley's band, etc.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/jul/11/rock-n-roll-america-review-elvis-presley-pat-boone-jerry-lee-lewis

^^^ That "awful lounge act witch?"  It's all make-up.  Her name is Lera Lynn and if you ever see her in person (I caught her act at The American Music Festival from about 10 feet away), you would be shocked.  In real life she is stunning -- drop dead beautiful.  So much so that my wife wouldn't allow me to take her picture.  Oh, and she is a talented singer and songwriter too!

Well I'm sure Margaret Hamilton was lovely in real life too.

Despite some fairly large plot holes, I thought "Wayward Pines" was pretty damn good. The finale last night really had me going.

Been catching up on the new series Humans over the past week. One of the best new shows of the year so far.

Also been binging on Friday Night Lights, a show I only sporadically caught when it originally aired. This one has really sucked me in with its realistic portrayal of relationships and small town life.

Despite some fairly large plot holes, I thought "Wayward Pines" was pretty damn good. The finale last night really had me going.

Yeah, I liked this one too overall, despite the annoying plot holes, and the whole zombie-esque outliers thing that is such an overused trope these days.

Damn! The one FX show that I put off to watch when I'd have a dead period is also the toughest one to get. I already used a useless Free Month of Hulu back in May. I had access to shows that aired within the past 3 or so weeks. There were just bonus features and clips for Fargo. I think Hulu recognizes my IP address because it won't let me create a new account. Oh well! I'll have to grab the discs from NetFlix.

Speaking of FX does anyone here watch The Strain? What do you think of it? I enjoy it, but some story lines make me want to hit fast forward. I also think that this would be better suited to something like NetFlix or an HBO. It's a decent summer series that given the subject matter would be better suited in October.

Finally, I went into my Comcast On Demand recently and I noticed FX's You're The Worst & Married Season 1 available. I was excited until I clicked on it and it was looking to charge $1.99 per episode. I checked this again and it was removed completely.

I enjoyed The Comedians. It's worth a watch. Man Seeking Woman was right up my alley with bizarre comedy and extremely funny situations in a hyper reality. Unfortunately, Louie had an unfocused season that came & went very fast.

It doesn't surprise me that a Judd Apatow directed flick is too long. All of his films suffer from being bloated and I think that they actually release extended editions too!

I guess it is not airing until October sometime. I am surprised they have not re-aired the first season again. Maybe they will before the 2nd season airs.

I was initially intrigued by The Strain, just because of Guillermo Del Toro's involvement, but then I read some poor reviews from places I respect, so I never bothered. Plus, my wife would never be interested. The only time I get the TV to myself is if I stay up late on the weekends, which is rare (The little ones wake up at 7am regardless, so staying up late is its own risk/reward), but tonight I'm dedicated to staying up late to watch The Babadook, which I've been looking forward to for a while. Horror movies are definitely a No Go with the missus.

I thought the first season of Fargo was merely OK. Being a Minnesotan, the geography in the script bothered me (they seemed to think Bemidji and Duluth were neighboring cities, but they're more like at least 3 hours apart by car - but I wholly admit that's nitpicking. Still -why not bother to just look at a map and use an actual city that's close to Duluth?), plus it just seemed to me to be taking the original vibe from Fargo, the movie, and amping it up a bit - the whole Minnesota-nice/quirky thing. You know, throw in a couple references to lutefisk, and "Oh jeez!" and "Hey der!" without having the soul of the movie.

There was something pathetic (yet sympathetic) about Jerry Lundegard in the movie, that was missing in Martin Freeman's character, if they were going for the same kind of thing, and I assume they were. 

And when the story would veer off into the supernatural, which I felt completely unnecessary, it made the whole thing hokey.

B-

Yeah, I was thinking of holding off until FX played season 1 again. The FX Now app sucks! It doesn't allow you to watch older episodes of past seasons. It is pretty good though for current episodes. 

I've heard nothing but great things for The Babadook. You're a braver man than I am. I'll have to find a time in the early morning where it's really light out to watch it. 

I'll be done with Daredevil and Sense8 within a week. These are both great shows and I'm consistently watching these more than the other NetFlix series (Orange Is The New Black & Hemlock Grove). The fastest NetFlix show that I blew right through was Bloodline which I thought was astounding. It had that "hooked" feeling that I don't feel at all with Orange. I know several friends of mine also lost interest in Orange and could care less with what happens. It's good to keep on hand if we ever get hit with a blizzard.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting back into Masters Of Sex for August. 

Speaking of reruns that I wish I had access to, HBO On Demand doesn't feature the show that's in your avatar. I don't remember if it was just called the Ricky Gervais show, or what. I think I've probably seen them all, but they'd be nice to watch at a moment's notice. Very hilarious stuff.

Their travel show was great too. 

I noticed that too! I think that it was on HBO Go for a brief period and it was removed almost overnight. They have added Luck recently which surprised me considering the bad press that that show got with the horse controversy. They also casually added a few other shows recently (Funny Or Die Presents). Sadly, Dream On isn't one of them. Fuck me! Mr. Show with Bob & David should be on there too! Wow! Sometimes I completely forget that. 

NetFlix has An Idiot Abroad. Or they had it a year ago. 

Larry Sanders was on NetFlix streaming when it was the new thing. Then all of the HBO/NetFlix legal battles happened and it's nowhere to be found. However, some HBO shows are streamed on Amazon Prime. Hey Now! Larry Sanders is on Crackle! As is Seinfeld. I'm not sure if Crackle works as a paid subscription, since I've got the 1st episode streaming right now. 

Tales From The Crypt. Tenacious D. Kids in The Hall are nowhere to be found on HBO Go or On Demand. 

I just checked and YouTube has full episodes of Tales From The Crypt uploaded. 

Crackle is free, but features commercials. 

I've never noticed Tales from the Crypt on the menu. No "old" series at all. Sorry, Fraggle Rock fans.

Dang, I just noticed that IFC's The Birthday Boys was cancelled after two seasons (resulting from a search for the Larry Sanders show, which IFC had been airing - trying to determine if they still do).

Funny show. Bob Odenkirk was Exec. Producer, and often appeared on it. 

Tales From The Crypt. Tenacious D. Kids in The Hall are nowhere to be found on HBO Go or On Demand. 

I just checked and YouTube has full episodes of Tales From The Crypt uploaded. 

Tenacious D is buried in the HBO On Demand menu, under "late night", then "comedy" - the rest of the options are stand-up.

I don't know if that still holds, as I don't think the same menus exist on the new Xfinity Cable Box system we've recently upgraded to. But all of the Tenacious D shows were there recently. 

I enjoyed The Birthday Boys season 1. I thought that some bits were hit & miss like most sketch comedy. I think season 2 just came on NetFlix like a month ago. I'll certainly check it out. I wanted to check out Big Time In Hollywood, FL, but it didn't appear to be on Comedy Central's On Demand menu. 

I can't wait for Wet Hot American Summer. That should be fun. 

I can't wait for Wet Hot American Summer. That should be fun. 

Ha. Last night. my wife pointed that out to me, all excited. I said "you've never even seen the movie!" She replied that it was before her time (but now she's a fan of most of its stars). I told her that I tried to get her to watch it several times, but she hated it each time, and only lasted a few minutes each time. Sigh. Now, she's scooping me on the series, all excited.