Together again! Hey, is Jane's last album ( the Escape Artist or whatever) worth a listen?

Well, judging by the new songs Jane's played, the new album is not good.  I was disappointed that they seemed to be going through the motions. Not so much Stephen Perkins (he always plays with passion and energy), but the rest of the band felt like they were pretending to be Jane's Addiction.  It was faker than the Fillipino Steve Perry soundalike singing for Journey (nothing against him, he was actually quite good).

We got to see Phoenix at the festival, too, and they were good fun.   I didn't really know of them, so that was a nice surprise.

Also, Mowglis, who sound like music made specifically for TV commercials.  Like a low rent Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, who I do not like. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to see Sigur Ros tonight right here in lil' ol' Norfolk. I'm going purely on the strength of other peoples' recommendations. I have almost no idea what to expect.

HOWEVER, what I do expect is that this will be just a bit different from tomorrow night in Richmond, 2 hours up the road: my first time seeing Son Volt!

How's that for a weird one-two punch?

Going to see Sigur Ros tonight right here in lil' ol' Norfolk. I'm going purely on the strength of other peoples' recommendations. I have almost no idea what to expect.

HOWEVER, what I do expect is that this will be just a bit different from tomorrow night in Richmond, 2 hours up the road: my first time seeing Son Volt!

How's that for a weird one-two punch?

Want to hear your reviews for both...Just saw Sigur in Philly..Jonsi's live voice and tone on guitar is bonkers..

Want to hear your reviews for both...Just saw Sigur in Philly..Jonsi's live voice and tone on guitar is bonkers..

I don't know that I'm going to find time to post a full review about Sigur Ros, but it was all kinds of amazing!! It's weird to have that much emotion conveyed simply through the sound of Jonsi's voice and the music that you actually don't miss having intelligible lyrics. It felt like they were taking us on a journey from spacy sounds to driving, rhythmic songs that felt as propulsive as some Wilco songs, back to ethereal beauty. There were moments that I practically felt like I was levitating! And it was just a beautiful show to watch--there were (I think) 11 people onstage and the lighting and staging was totally arresting visually. I still am not sure I would love listening to them on record, but I would never miss seeing them in concert.

I don't know that I'm going to find time to post a full review about Sigur Ros, but it was all kinds of amazing!! It's weird to have that much emotion conveyed simply through the sound of Jonsi's voice and the music that you actually don't miss having intelligible lyrics. It felt like they were taking us on a journey from spacy sounds to driving, rhythmic songs that felt as propulsive as some Wilco songs, back to ethereal beauty. There were moments that I practically felt like I was levitating! And it was just a beautiful show to watch--there were (I think) 11 people onstage and the lighting and staging was totally arresting visually. I still am not sure I would love listening to them on record, but I would never miss seeing them in concert.

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it! If you do decide to delve into their albums get ageatis () or takk and turn it up loud or wear headphones! It's is wonderful!

Tell them I said they need to come to Atlanta.

Will do. 

Drummer Stanley Demeski is funny about requests like that both on his facebook page and the band's page.  He used to respond by saying they were still looking at touring plans, hoping to get around, etc.  More recently he has been pretty emphatic that their future touring is pretty much limited to the northeast.  Apparently someone in the band doesn't fly anymore ...

I really liked Phox as well, pretty much a 180 degree difference from Blitzen Trapper's style. I was tired though, BT didn't go on until 11:15!  I'm getting too old for this shit.  Arch St must not have a backstage area, because both bands were hanging around the patio before and after the show.

I really liked Phox as well, pretty much a 180 degree difference from Blitzen Trapper's style. I was tired though, BT didn't go on until 11:15! I'm getting too old for this shit. Arch St must not have a backstage area, because both bands were hanging around the patio before and after the show.

Yeah, it was a late night for sure. Got to bed around 3am, which wouldn't have been so bad if my kids didn 't wake me up at 6am. Worth it for such an excellent show, though.

Glad to hear Blitzen Trapper were good.  I am seeing them next week!  Saw Phox at the Mile of Music festival in Wisconsin a month or so ago, and really really liked their sound.  The lead singer is something special.  She has a subtle delivery that is rare in these melisma-riddled days.

Glad to hear Blitzen Trapper were good. I am seeing them next week! Saw Phox at the Mile of Music festival in Wisconsin a month or so ago, and really really liked their sound. The lead singer is something special. She has a subtle delivery that is rare in these melisma-riddled days.

Definitely. Her voice is amazing. Great control, too. Hard not to like that band.

Definitely. Her voice is amazing. Great control, too. Hard not to like that band.

Great voice, but they need to work on their live show. Boston's set was lacking momentum; the stage banter was cringeworthy at times. I did get both of their CDs though, I'm excited to give them a listen.

BT were great. I'm getting over a cold and wasn't able to muster the strength to stay for the entire show. I'm not sure why they were booked for a 10:15 start on a Sunday night. Royale was empty, it was a bit embarrassing. A better venue and a different time slot and there would've been a more impressive turnout.