Jeff Tweedy talks about New Album to Spin

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hoping for a double album with this one.

Double album. Back in the day, the amount of music on a 2 lp release (vinyl) would comfortably fit on a single cd in most cases. I wonder if this is going to be a 2 cd release a la Being There (which could have easily been converted to a single cd or if it is going to be a goat choking, 2 hour + release.

If it is going to be a full 2 cd release, then Jeff will have done more than a yeoman's job on getting songs written. IF this band had more input and collaboration, imagine the amount of material that could be produced.

I personally would be down to hear something a bit sprawling with some loose ends. When I listen to the More Like the Moon ep, I love how it sounds kind of unfinished in places. I think a lot of people heard something like that in Being There: a freewheeling kind of looseness.

I've been listening to Being There yesterday and today for the first time in a while (probably more like 2-3 years) & I'm thinking "what a strange wonderful record". Besides all the weird little sonic blips I just love how it's mixed all warm and reverby w/ the keyboards pushed to the background a bit. I know they'll never make anything like BT again (and I wouldn't want them to) but if the mix is similar I'll be a happy guy.

Guest Jules

Now that it's mastered I wonder when they will let us know if it's a double album or not. Big decision, big decision.

I was given the impression they are not sure yet, but it will definitely be a double-vinyl. Like all the other ones.

Guest Speed Racer

I was given the impression they are not sure yet, but it will definitely be a double-vinyl. Like all the other ones.

And if it's a proper double-album on CD then it will probably be on at least 8-10 vinyls.

And if it's a proper double-album on CD then it will probably be on at least 8-10 vinyls.

4 to 6 maybe...

I was a bit peeved that BT was a double CD. It seemed so unnecessary at the length it was. A gimmick. That's my only complaint about it. So if there's enough music to squeeze on 1 CD, I prefer they do that.

Is it possible that a band like Wilco will sell more vinyl than CD? I assume downloads will be their #1 medium.

I was a bit peeved that BT was a double CD. It seemed so unnecessary at the length it was. A gimmick. That's my only complaint about it. So if there's enough music to squeeze on 1 CD, I prefer they do that.

Is it possible that a band like Wilco will sell more vinyl than CD? I assume downloads will be their #1 medium.

BT as a double cd WAS a gimmick. And it has cost Jeff financially ever since it was released.

Guest Speed Racer

I disagree. I loved the idea that they were two different records growing up. Sunken Treasure and Misunderstood are both awesome opening tracks, and Say You Miss Me and Dreamer are both awesome closing tracks. Each disc has two distinct moods: Disc 1 is fresh, rough and energetic, and Disc 2 is more sedate and foggy. I love them both, but I'd never consider them one long entity. I don't think I've listened to BT end-to-end more than once or twice.

A fair point, I guess I feel like you don't need the 2 CDs to delineate the separate sounds, but I usually listen to the whole thing.

IIRC (and I'm not sure I do), the retail price of BT was more than most single CDs but less than most double CDs. Since it could've fit on one disc, that aspect bothered me, and having 2 CDs to keep track of rather than one.

Guest Speed Racer

A fair point, I guess I feel like you don't need the 2 CDs to delineate the separate sounds, but I usually listen to the whole thing.

IIRC (and I'm not sure I do), the retail price of BT was more than most single CDs but less than most double CDs. Since it could've fit on one disc, that aspect bothered me, and having 2 CDs to keep track of rather than one.

I paid $10 for it, in 1999. It even had a sticker on the shrink-wrap boasting that it didn't cost an obscene amount of money like most double-albums.

I disagree. I loved the idea that they were two different records growing up. Sunken Treasure and Misunderstood are both awesome opening tracks, and Say You Miss Me and Dreamer are both awesome closing tracks. Each disc has two distinct moods: Disc 1 is fresh, rough and energetic, and Disc 2 is more sedate and foggy. I love them both, but I'd never consider them one long entity. I don't think I've listened to BT end-to-end more than once or twice.

I have to agree with this. Spot on. Two great, seperate, listening experiences. The only problem is disc two contains 'Kingpin' which is my least favourite Wilco song ever.

Guest Speed Racer

The only problem is disc two contains 'Kingpin' which is my least favourite Wilco song ever.

I wouldn't list it as a favorite, but I don't mind it live. The album version sounds like musical Nyquil, recorded into a sock.

I wouldn't list it as a favorite, but I don't mind it live. The album version sounds like musical Nyquil, recorded into a sock.

Yeah, I hardly ever listen to Kingpin on BT, but it's one I really enjoy live. I think it was designed to be a live song and they didn't even try on BT.

Best song about Pekin, IL ever.

LouieB

However, for those of us not familiar with Chicago and/or Illinois, we heard it as "Peking".

:lol :lol

Best song about Pekin, IL ever.

LouieB

The (Pekin High)school teams were known as the Pekin Chinks from the 1930s until 1980 when the school administration changed the nickname to the Dragons. The team mascots were a male and female student dressed as Chinese persons wearing traditional Chinese atire. An earlier attempt was made by a visit of Chinese American groups to change the name from Chinks during the 1974–1975 school year; this was voted down by the student body. The event received national attention.

:blink :lol :lol :lol

However, for those of us not familiar with Chicago and/or Illinois, we heard it as "Peking".

Actually most people in Chicago have never heard of Pekin, IL either. It is a small town near Peoria, a place many Chicagoans have never evem been to (Peoria I mean.) The Pekin Chinks is a pretty funny story though isn't it. I drove through Pekin one time in my travels around the state. Pekin = boring small town. Someone someday should ask Jeff why he picked it out of all the small towns in IL to lampoon.

LouieB

Actually most people in Chicago have never heard of Pekin, IL either. It is a small town near Peoria, a place many Chicagoans have never evem been to (Peoria I mean.) The Pekin Chinks is a pretty funny story though isn't it. I drove through Pekin one time in my travels around the state. Pekin = boring small town. Someone someday should ask Jeff why he picked it out of all the small towns in IL to lampoon.

LouieB

Probably because it is the birthplace of the inestimable Everett Dirkson.

I have to agree with this. Spot on. Two great, seperate, listening experiences. The only problem is disc two contains 'Kingpin' which is my least favourite Wilco song ever.

Interesting choice for least favorite Wilco tune. I have to say that title, for me, probably belongs to "Leave Me Like You Found Me."

Don't you mean musical Dimetapp?

Guest Speed Racer

Interesting choice for least favorite Wilco tune. I have to say that title, for me, probably belongs to "Leave Me Like You Found Me."

That's because you've got a good head on those shoulders.