100s & 100s of Wilco tickets in the hands of scalpers

With the dead we used to get tour blocks through gd ticketing... They'd award the best seats by which envelope art they liked the best...still I could have sold them to scalpers.... As noted above it is a supply demand thing...

Art was one criteria, they actually played favorites and seniority too, I had a friend there and he'd pull my envelope and put it on the top of the stack, being a taper it actually didn't change my seat location, but I was never shut out ;^) In Fall of '91 I was actually called by the ticket office wondering why I hadn't ordered for the tour, I thought I had ordered, my roommate offered to do me a favor and bring my mail order to the post office for me, turned out my roommate had just lost a lot of money in a gambling habit and pocketed my money.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

The person you're quoting probably wouldn't appreciate you taking something said among friends and sharing it publicly.

Not to split hairs, but if Facebook ain't public I don't know what is.

I haven't had the energy to go see Wilco live since 2005. I too don't care to sit at my computer and try to get in, and I don't like depending on the behavior of several thousand other people to have a good concert experience. And Pat still seems to have an open invitation to join Wilco onstage, so there's that too.

Just keeping an eye on these Ryman tickets on Ebay. Currently there are only 4 auctions of which only one is within 2 days. $225 for two tix on the floor, row T with 28 hours to go on the auction. The "buy it now" prices are all $300 or more. It looks like the price for a floor seat is going to end up around $150. I'm sitting here with 4 for each night. That's at least $800 PROFIT I could pull of these tickets! I've already booked a hotel and the idea of selling these tickets is humorous to me but then again...I love me some Wilco. As much as I find it irritating I also have a little...ok alot of envy for someone making a weeks pay in a day by being keen to some pre-sales and sitting in the a/c waiting to pounce on some tickets for a band they have never heard a single note by. So I guess my question would be who's to blame...the scalpers or the guy/gal handing them $100 over face value.

Just keeping an eye on these Ryman tickets on Ebay. Currently there are only 4 auctions of which only one is within 2 days. $225 for two tix on the floor, row T with 28 hours to go on the auction. The "buy it now" prices are all $300 or more. It looks like the price for a floor seat is going to end up around $150. I'm sitting here with 4 for each night. That's at least $800 PROFIT I could pull of these tickets! I've already booked a hotel and the idea of selling these tickets is humorous to me but then again...I love me some Wilco. As much as I find it irritating I also have a little...ok alot of envy for someone making a weeks pay in a day by being keen to some pre-sales and sitting in the a/c waiting to pounce on some tickets for a band they have never heard a single note by. So I guess my question would be who's to blame...the scalpers or the guy/gal handing them $100 over face value.

Each party shares an equal part of the blame. Scalpers and the people who buy overpriced scalped tickets are symbiotic. Neither could exist without the other.

Each party shares an equal part of the blame. Scalpers and the people who buy overpriced scalped tickets are symbiotic. Neither could exist without the other.

It's like Batman & The Joker and Red Sox & Yankees fans.

How did you guys manage to get those gold circle ryman tickets? The day of the presale all the tickets were gone in like 20 seconds! Luckily the next day I got tix for both nights floor seats for Saturday and front of the balcony Sunday. First post!

Welcome to VC, Beefing! Glad you managed to get great tickets at Ryman. :thumbup I wish I could be going there! Have a wonderful show.

How did you guys manage to get those gold circle ryman tickets? The day of the presale all the tickets were gone in like 20 seconds! Luckily the next day I got tix for both nights floor seats for Saturday and front of the balcony Sunday. First post!

Wasn't sure if you were asking me but mine aren't gold circle, just floor. Welcome by the way.

Aw, Jeremy! I'm glad the Wilco gods smiled on you with a good ticket. I hope nothing of great value was taken from your car. That sucks.

Thanks for your kind thoughts! I had my GPS taken. The guy tried to take my stereo but he got scared off by my neighbor.

This is the first time I'll be seeing a show on the day the album is released. It would be awesome if I could find a way to get the band to sign my copy of the album. I wonder how much of the new album they'll play that night.

Haven't been following this thread all that closely, but this FB note from Wilco caught my attention:

"Nashville update: After catching some scalpers and ticket policy violators, additional tickets for both nights at the Ryman are now available."

Wonder if they're going after them in other cities, too.

I notified Wilco's Facebook page and the Boston Police about 3 separate ticket listings (all in Row A) for the Wang Theatre show looking for $375 for a pair. It'll be interesting to see if Wilco's team can get the tickets revoked.

I honestly don't think there is a solution to this. It is near impossible to discourage or shut down a market where demand exceeds supply. The rotten thing about this is that no one knows what "demand" is because scalpers create it. The band has enough to do making music. I can't imagine the impact on the art it would have if bands had to actively intervene in scalping. No new album for five years, because John Stirrat is undercover busting people on stubhub, Nels is hiding behind a newspaper at the box office an hour before show time, and Jeff is checking Id's at the door.

I am sure this has happened in other markets but a couple of blow outs where scalpers bag a majority of tickets and no demand is established would help. In Chicago, Miley Cyrus and American Idol a couple of years ago put several large operations on the sidelines for a while due to lack of capital. Same thing with the Cubs last year, and this year tickets are available walk up.

I was going to St. Louis, after the ticket fiasco I am headed to Madison. I am not going to support price gouging.

I honestly don't think there is a solution to this. It is near impossible to discourage or shut down a market where demand exceeds supply. The rotten thing about this is that no one knows what "demand" is because scalpers create it. The band has enough to do making music. I can't imagine the impact on the art it would have if bands had to actively intervene in scalping. No new album for five years, because John Stirrat is undercover busting people on stubhub, Nels is hiding behind a newspaper at the box office an hour before show time, and Jeff is checking Id's at the door.

I am sure this has happened in other markets but a couple of blow outs where scalpers bag a majority of tickets and no demand is established would help. In Chicago, Miley Cyrus and American Idol a couple of years ago put several large operations on the sidelines for a while due to lack of capital. Same thing with the Cubs last year, and this year tickets are available walk up.

I was going to St. Louis, after the ticket fiasco I am headed to Madison. I am not going to support price gouging.

This was a funny mental image.

Heads up: There's 4 Balcony seats going for $611.60 on ebay for the Wang Theatre (Boston) show. Seller claims that tickets will be mailed by September 17th (hmm..they must be the exception). Then they ask for $15 in shipping to get it expedited by August 1st. (scratching my head) AND they list Wilco as R & B/Rap/Hip Hop. LOL Lastly, they are out of Omaha, Nebraska so they best be in Boston to exchange the tickets with the potential buyer. :P

Notified Ebay and I'll probably send a message along to the Wilco team on FB. Join me?