100s & 100s of Wilco tickets in the hands of scalpers

What's wrong with this picture?

found out they couldn't go 3 hrs and 13 minutes after they bought them...ha hope they get stuck with them!

originally paid $100 more than face?

When ticket scalpers die, whether they go up or down, they should have to wear headphones for eternity playing an endless loop of a mashup between the codas from Poor Places, IATTBYH and Less Than You Think over the rhythm of Spiders.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Waits had the best anti-scalping policy i have ever seen. The only complaint i have is i like to collect ticket stubs.

I still have the first one from from my first show. AC/DC Sept. 21 1979. :rock no need for scalpers before the internet. if you really wanted a ticket in those days for a high profile show, you just spent the night in line at your local record store the night before they went on sale. For that AC/DC show i just walked up to the box office the day of the gig paid my 8 bucks and saw the show.

here is how Waits handled scalpers for the Glitter and Doom tour:

“In keeping with Waits’ longtime desire to allow fans the best possible access to his shows, the Waits’ organization is again implementing an anti-scalping program to assure patrons that their tickets can only be purchased at face value (plus normal surcharges and handling fees). At the majority of shows on this tour, Ticketmaster is introducing their Paperless Ticket™ system. Prior to entering the venue, fans must simply provide their credit card which was used to purchase the tickets, along with a government issued ID. The fan’s accompanying guest must be present at that time. An attendant will swipe the credit card and provide a receipt for the transaction. The entire process is quick, secure and simple. Tickets will only be sold via the internet and by phone and are limited to two per person.”

Tom Waits had the best anti-scalping policy i have ever seen. The only complaint i have is i like to collect ticket stubs....

And even with this system, it would be pretty easy to issue at least a generic ticket stub to everyone when they enter. Which isn't ideal if you collect the stubs, but it's something.

And even with this system, it would be pretty easy to issue at least a generic ticket stub to everyone when they enter. Which isn't ideal if you collect the stubs, but it's something.

When I saw McCartney last summer, they had a system like this in place. When they scanned your credit card to admit you, the scanner printed out surprisingly nice color ticket stubs with all of the concert/seat info on them to keep as a souvenir. Only took a few seconds. I thought it was a great way of doing it.

This intrigued me. Are you commenting on the difficulty in getting tickets?

Not at the difficulty of getting tickets; apparently plenty of tickets can be found on Craigslist St. Louis.

When getting tickets for a show becomes fraught with complications (general sale being sold out in 3 minutes while plenty of black market tickets are immediately available), I really can't be bothered with participating.

A friend called newer ticketing policies "draconian". :dontgetit

Until band management sees fit to tighten up the way tickets are sold, or until fans turn their backs on the rock and roll mafioso, my live music dollar can better serve hungrier musicians in smaller venues.

Tom Waits had the best anti-scalping policy i have ever seen. The only complaint i have is i like to collect ticket stubs.

I still have the first one from from my first show. AC/DC Sept. 21 1979. :rock no need for scalpers before the internet. if you really wanted a ticket in those days for a high profile show, you just spent the night in line at your local record store the night before they went on sale. For that AC/DC show i just walked up to the box office the day of the gig paid my 8 bucks and saw the show.

here is how Waits handled scalpers for the Glitter and Doom tour:

“In keeping with Waits’ longtime desire to allow fans the best possible access to his shows, the Waits’ organization is again implementing an anti-scalping program to assure patrons that their tickets can only be purchased at face value (plus normal surcharges and handling fees). At the majority of shows on this tour, Ticketmaster is introducing their Paperless Ticket™ system. Prior to entering the venue, fans must simply provide their credit card which was used to purchase the tickets, along with a government issued ID. The fan’s accompanying guest must be present at that time. An attendant will swipe the credit card and provide a receipt for the transaction. The entire process is quick, secure and simple. Tickets will only be sold via the internet and by phone and are limited to two per person.”

I have some old ones, but not that old.

I think Dylan did something like that last year. It was cash only, if I recall correctly.

I just checked the Boston Craigslist and there are tons of tickets being offered. If I'm understanding the conditions correctly, though, will call tickets will be given and since they are nontransferable, then only that ticket holder will be immediately let in. So it would seem that buyers of the 2nd market tickets will be left standing outside. scalpers win, fans lose. So, it would seem that there will be lots of empty seats, right? My question is this: will they let people move up to better seats that are empty?

But, somehow I don't think there will be many empty seats, my guess is they will allow transfers at the door. Again, scalpers win and fans lose.

Not at the difficulty of getting tickets; apparently plenty of tickets can be found on Craigslist St. Louis.

When getting tickets for a show becomes fraught with complications (general sale being sold out in 3 minutes while plenty of black market tickets are immediately available), I really can't be bothered with participating.

A friend called newer ticketing policies "draconian". :dontgetit

Until band management sees fit to tighten up the way tickets are sold, or until fans turn their backs on the rock and roll mafioso, my live music dollar can better serve hungrier musicians in smaller venues.

I believe the band management tried hard to eliminate scalping for this fall run. It is still very possible tickets for this show, and others, will reappear once management reviews ticket orders and online tickets available for re-sale. I also believe we may see ticket-less ticketing from Wilco in the future. They may have tried this "4 tickets only, one order per address" option first as ticket-less events will cost more in man power and they were hoping to not pass this along to us, the fans.

"Draconian" seems harsh, If the band management had allowed multiple orders, tickets would have gone even faster as I know I would have tried to get better seats than my pre-sales and I'm sure others would have too.

I do sympathize for you and hope you or someone you know lives in St. Louis and can get tickets at Euclid Records Tuesday, July 19 at 10am. - http://www.facebook.com/wilcohq

Good Luck!

I believe the band management tried hard to eliminate scalping for this fall run. It is still very possible tickets for this show, and others, will reappear once management reviews ticket orders and online tickets available for re-sale. I also believe we may see ticket-less ticketing from Wilco in the future. They may have tried this "4 tickets only, one order per address" option first as ticket-less events will cost more in man power and they were hoping to not pass this along to us, the fans.

"Draconian" seems harsh, If the band management had allowed multiple orders, tickets would have gone even faster as I know I would have tried to get better seats than my pre-sales and I'm sure others would have too.

I do sympathize for you and hope you or someone you know lives in St. Louis and can get tickets at Euclid Records Tuesday, July 19 at 10am. - http://www.facebook.com/wilcohq

Good Luck!

Thanks, ditty.

I thought draconian was harsh also. I was making the point that these extra measures are not really appreciated by many fans. They are seen as overly complicated and do not accommodate the many extenuating circumstances one faces after purchasing tickets months in advance. That was her take anyway.

My understanding is that rules for purchase varied with the venue.

Ultimately I don't have the time to chase around after tickets. My work does not involve sitting in front of a computer screen waiting for the right moment to log in to the sale. St Louis is a 4 hour trip. If tickets had been procured with ease I would have done it. I made the 8 hour round trip for Califone last. But I paid face for tickets, sat in the first row of a 150 capacity room, and enjoyed one of the best live shows I had ever seen.

Hoping that a closer venue will be announced, with more "draconian" ticket rules in place. ;)

The person you're quoting probably wouldn't appreciate you taking something said among friends and sharing it publicly. I was part of that conversation, too, and you're alluding to something I said without context. Not cool. This band has done a hell of a lot for its fans over the years, and questioning the policy doesn't mean not appreciating that they're trying to do right by the people who are so loyal to them. It's not a fool-proof policy--as evidenced by all the tickets still already on craigslist--and I think a lot of people were caught off-guard when it was announced so close to the date of the presale. It's also problematic that the policies vary so much from venue to venue.

There's no perfect solution to the problem of scalping. As unfair as it is, it's a matter of supply and demand--scalping won't stop until people stop patronizing scalpers. Making tickets non-transferrable may help to some extent, but it can end up causing problems, too. A lot can happen between the time when a person buys tickets and the date of the show, and this policy overlooks that. Plenty of other bands do this, too, and just in the last year I've gotten stuck with tickets I couldn't use for reasons completely beyond my control. Yeah, I hated to lose the money, but I also hated that good seats were going to waste.

It would be interesting to see if a band could set up a system to resell tickets, sort of along the lines of how the Grateful Dead used to distribute their own tickets. I doubt the ticketing companies would be okay with it, but considering they're much more a part of the problem than part of any possible solution, I'd like to see more artists trying to stand up to them.

I thought so, too, but there was somethig in the details for Ryman that said "Gold Circle tickets are will call only, all others will be mailed by (insert date)"

It's actually said "(insert date)", which seemed fishy and amateurish.

I was confused by this too ... and when I bought my presale tickets for the Ryman (not Gold Circle - in the balcony) the only option available was Will Call. There was no other click box to check. I thought this meant **ALL** Ryman presale were Will Call. Was this not correct?

"Will Call Only" for presale is fine, and Wilco and Frontgate should at least emulate the Avett Brothers presale which is ALL TICKETS for ALL SHOWS sold presale are Will Call only. That would stop about 99% of the scalping of presale tickets.

Oh good heavens. No mention of any conversational venue or names or any context was used and for good reason. The conversation seemed a simple way of illustrating the opinion of many folks through a specific instance. I happen to disagree with with it. The St Louis situation would seem to bear that out.

Also, I like using the word "draconian".

They are seen as overly complicated and do not accommodate the many extenuating circumstances one faces after purchasing tickets months in advance.

If this is what you see as referring to you, none of it was meant sarcastically. These are legitimate concerns.

I did some digging and only found 2 pairs of tickets for the Wang Theater show on Ebay {This show had the least amount of listings for the fall tour. A lot of the tix on Craigslist led to outside links that specifically stated "no inventory" which leads me to believe that some scalpers are trying to figure out how to go around the will call situation}. They were both Row A $500 for the pair on Ebay. 4 tickets all in Row A. Yeah, that's not fishy at all. I wondered how they would provide sending the purchaser the goods. It looks like they tell you that they will meet you in a designated area and pick up the tickets with you. My question is this: why not involve the police in the matter? I mean, when they swipe their credit card with you in the lobby they will retrieve "their" tickets and then hand them over to you where you will have already paid an extra $400 for them. {you could bring your Ebay receipt} I realize that there's some people with disposable income who doesn't give a shit about hard working fans, so they are also enablers of these stomach churning practices.

Has anyone ever tried to buy a scalped ticket and show up with the cops by their side? I'm assuming state by state has different laws as to what is legal and what is illegal (a.k.a. it's illegal to list tix over face value, whereas one state may allow that). I realize that the majority of venues have scalpers hanging around outside looking sketchy, but waiting in line (in the god damned venue no less) with one just seems fucked up. I don't know.

A part of me wants to contact these scalpers on Craigslist and tell them that I'm interested in tix, but I want them mailed to me. And then see how they react. I doubt that you'd get the snake head, but I doubt that "runners" use their credit card to hide the identity of their boss. Actually, that probably does happen.

Worst case scenario: like mentioned above....no one buys these outrageously priced tix and no one winds up sitting in them.

u2roolz ; has anyone ever tried to buy a scalped ticket and show up with the cops by their side?

I was standing outside Fenway (Red Sox 04 playoff run)

A scalper said how many you need I said what are you asking for 2 Blchrs 125 ea!

A small crowd of people were listening in perhaps to get an idea of the asking price when suddenly one came forward pulling out a Badge

Identifying himself as Boston Police and says to the scalper "Ypu will be selling them to him for Face Value or you are coming along w/m

25.00 Each! Of course I thank the Officer

However these days the Sox are Partnered up w/ Ace Tkt Resellers, sad.

But I still have my ways of paying face or Don't go!

I was confused by this too ... and when I bought my presale tickets for the Ryman (not Gold Circle - in the balcony) the only option available was Will Call. There was no other click box to check. I thought this meant **ALL** Ryman presale were Will Call. Was this not correct?

"Will Call Only" for presale is fine, and Wilco and Frontgate should at least emulate the Avett Brothers presale which is ALL TICKETS for ALL SHOWS sold presale are Will Call only. That would stop about 99% of the scalping of presale tickets.

I believe it's Gold Circle and first four balcony rows were/are Will Call only. I know because I picked up a ticket for a friend and had to keep throwing them back until a non-Will Call option surfaced.

I figured I would give it a shot tonight to see if I could still get tickets for the raleigh show on the 27th of september. I managed to get a ticket in section 2 of row dd at the ampitheater. yay! my first wilco show in 3 years (way overdue). it is good news after having my car broken into this weekend.

I figured I would give it a shot tonight to see if I could still get tickets for the raleigh show on the 27th of september. I managed to get a ticket in section 2 of row dd at the ampitheater. yay! my first wilco show in 3 years (way overdue). it is good news after having my car broken into this weekend.

Aw, Jeremy! I'm glad the Wilco gods smiled on you with a good ticket. I hope nothing of great value was taken from your car. That sucks.