Amy Winehouse RIP

Very sad, especially at such a young age. People always think it's going to be someone else, but not them. Vibes to her fans, friends, and family.

The so-called "27 Club" now includes Robert Johnson, Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, Kurt Cobain, and Amy Winehouse. Again, truly sad.

D. Boon is on that list.

Another musician to add to it is Ross Harman of The Gaskets, a band you might have seen a few years back on the late Saturday night PBS music show "The Music Seen." He killed himself at age 27 last September. Too bad, he was very talented.

The only thing I know about Winehouse is that she had troubles, but young people dying is just about the worst.

It's a shame I thought she might have a great album still in her.Very sad.

There will be another album come out by her you can be sure. They will cobble together whatever she was doing and release it, a la Jeff Buckley, etc.

LouieB

I must stay that this does not surprise me. She was talented, but she was surely dancing with the devil for the last several years.

The uncharitable side of me wonders when Pete Doherty will make a miscalculation.

Not really fan, and certainly not surprised, but I was sad to hear this news.

In reading various articles and comments online I've come across numerous references about the age 27. Not just the "27 club," but the concept that 27 is the beginning of adulthood, a turning point for many, etc.. I know 27 was an especially difficult age for me, though it certainly didn't compare in any way to what I'm sure Amy was going through for various reasons. As a 28 year old woman I think I'm taking more of a sympathetic take on this event than some others are. I really feel for her (and her family and friends), and that's the only reason I can think of.

Here's a question: Do those who profited from her drug and alcohol notoriety have blood on their hands? Ultimately, she is responsible for the decisions she made and the addictions she left untreated. But what if managers, publicists, and record label execs all turned a blind eye to her troubles and even encouraged her to release songs like rehab knowing that she was quite possibly killing herself. Do these people bear any responsibility?

Here's a question: Do those who profited from her drug and alcohol notoriety have blood on their hands? Ultimately, she is responsible for the decisions she made and the addictions she left untreated. But what if managers, publicists, and record label execs all turned a blind eye to her troubles and even encouraged her to release songs like rehab knowing that she was quite possibly killing herself. Do these people bear any responsibility?

I don't think so. If you're fucked up you're fucked up..... You can get help and with enough willpower, many people end up turning their life around... But ultimately people choose their own fate...

Well, if as you sat she is ultimately responsible, then you can't rightly put the responsibility on someone else shoulder's too.

Was it not these very people who tried to make her go to rehab and she said No, No, No?

That question was raised with Elvis' death. Sure, his "Memphis Mafia" was a bunch of relatives and cronies, but, as they pointed out, they tried to get him to stop but he'd threaten to fire them. They figured he'd be better off with them than with a bunch of strangers or by himself. They tried to help Elvis save him from himself, but he was in denial about his drug abuse. Some did leave him because they couldn't tolerate seeing him destroy himself, but the ones who stayed were trying to help manage his addiction with the hope he'd last long enough to overcome it (like Johnny Cash did). He didn't and it was his own damn fault that he died.

The management, label, and publicist (don't forget, the band) were profiting from her - why would they want her to die? The drugs and alcohol were hindering her from making more money - they all had vested interest in her getting help/well.

The controversy sold. How much curiosity would a sober Amy Winehouse generate? Will her death stop anyone from profiting from her. In the short term they'll profit more. That's why I'm not sure the Elvis analogy fits here either. Elvis's income had little to do with his addictive lifestyle. I think it could be argued that Amy Winehouse's lifestyle generated a huge chunk of her income.